Home

Montgomery,Step In Question

Posted By: Taximan

Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/07/20 04:03 PM

Does anyone know the years of production of the old,#3 Montgomey Step In traps ?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/07/20 05:14 PM

I looked In my trap collectors guide and I could only find one reference to the Montgomery trap and It said 1970. I would think they would have been around before 1970.

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/07/20 05:37 PM

Thanks.I found one,yesterday,on a ranch I trap.I am the only one who has trapped there in the last 27 years.I was just trying to narrow down a time frame.It looks like with a new chain and swivel,it would be strong enough to use.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/07/20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Taximan
Thanks.I found one,yesterday,on a ranch I trap.I am the only one who has trapped there in the last 27 years.I was just trying to narrow down a time frame.It looks like with a new chain and swivel,it would be strong enough to use.

Careful Taxi you will come to the light of dogless traps ,,, and leave the dark side lol
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/07/20 05:55 PM

Thinking more like early to mid 1980s...trap came out and then they changed it...higher levers better chain.

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/07/20 06:25 PM

The book said 1970 I think the changes came In the late 80s

Where Is MissWiss when you need her?

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/07/20 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by red mt
Originally Posted by Taximan

Careful Taxi you will come to the light of dogless traps ,,, and leave the dark side lol

You never know Red,you just never know.

This thing is staked down so hard,I couldn't get it out,with a pick.I think they drove it through a pine root.The ground is all rocks.It has swingset chain,the old chain ring but not sure if is low or high lever.I am determined to get stake and all,so will go back with some different tools.I hope it is 18" but since it was a single stake,I am afraid it is longer.I believe I have it's twin in the shed.

Many years ago,I found a #13 Victor jump,down the creek aways from this trap.Some idiot ground the teeth off!

mad
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/08/20 04:57 PM

I don't know when they started making them but I know for a fact they were in widespread use in the mid to late '70's because I was using them then.The round models came out around '82or '83.¹1
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/08/20 05:13 PM

Bucks right I think, Taxi Reds right LOL.. I'm bettin you will .. I had a bunch of the dog on round jaws I bought In 82. At one time OGorman was selling The #3 dogless moded by Glenn Sterling in the early 80s. Man were old LMBO

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/08/20 05:27 PM

Oh jeez.You guys are trying to drag me into the 20th century! laugh

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/08/20 05:42 PM

grin
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/08/20 05:51 PM

Montgomery traps (the originals) were made from 1965 to 1983 in Mahaffey, PA. They were originally square jaw traps. Round jaws came along in the early 1980s.

Declining fur prices and some marketing mistakes were the main reasons the company went out of business.

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/08/20 07:12 PM

Thanks for the info.

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/08/20 08:00 PM

I was just trying to go back in the time machine and try to figure what trapper left it.No name tag.I have yet to find another's trap that had a tag.I don't know when Montana mandated tags but they have been required at least since 1994.This one is square jawed.I know these were popular here in the 1980's.The old trappers often preferred #3 long springs.To use this one,I need to center swivel it,by law.The twin link chain is too compromised,by rust.I Lso know the Monty swivels were brittle,as were the jaw tips.

When I get it out,I will put up a picture and someone can tell me if it is low or high lever.The stake is going to be tough.I believe it will take about $100 worth of labor to get the $2 stake out but I can't stop myself.It has to come out!

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/09/20 06:09 PM

coolKeep us posted , I'd bet its a dognot stake.
Posted By: Kevin Colpetzer

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/10/20 03:26 AM

If the pan has 90 degree corners, it’s a low lever. If the corners of the pan are cut off it’s a high lever

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/11/20 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by trappergbus
coolKeep us posted , I'd bet its a dognot stake.

I don't think so,Gary but I will let you know.It is rebar with a washer welded about 3/4" down from the top.I dug down about 12" and banged pretty good,side to side and it showed no signs of giving up.I use all 18"stakes and double staked they work well here.i fear that this one may be 24" or more and I, am pretty convinced that it was driven through a root of the pine tree that was the backing for the set There is no doubt it was set for a bobcat.When it gets really cold here,you really can't tell if you are driving through a root,glancing off a rock or whatever.I have driven a few through large tree roots before and I can usually get them out in 2 to 3 years if I persevere. mad

I will let you guys know,⁰I am dedicating the rest of my life to this mission!

Thank you Kevin.This must be a low lever,as is the one in my shed.Both have the square cornered pans.Thanks,everyone for you help.I believe now I know whose trap this is.This was a father and son team that trapped there in the early '90's,good guys too.In 1994,I found a lion kill and my boss had a tag.These two guys had dogs so we headed out the next morning.That ended up being a very wild ride.It is on a hunting video,somewhere out there but that is another story.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/17/20 11:43 AM

Taxi whatever happened to that picture you promised?
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/17/20 01:12 PM

Were you able to lock a vise grip on the stake and get it to turn any?

Re: Montgomery,Step In Question - 07/17/20 04:30 PM

I didn't have vice grips with me,MN man but that is maybe the first thing to try.I have plenty of stake exposed.Sorry guys,haven't been able to get out but hope to in a few days.m.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums