Home

MB 550 offset and coons ?

Posted By: kyron4

MB 550 offset and coons ? - 07/10/20 03:45 AM

Can and do coons pull out of an offset MB550 ? Do the offset do less damage than the closed ? I have an area where domestics might be an issue. -Thanks
Posted By: 20scout

Re: MB 550 offset and coons ? - 07/10/20 04:02 AM

Yes they can and will pull out if you catch them by the toes. Had a large boar pull out just as I pulled up to the set. Would have lost him had it not been for the dog. If your targeting coon, why not use dog proofs?
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: MB 550 offset and coons ? - 07/10/20 04:24 AM

Yes, I had plenty of coons pullout of offset MB550. It's not all the time and mainly if you catch them by the front foot and they have something for leverage. I haven't noticed any difference in offset versus closed personally. Those 550's have been pretty domestic friendly in my experience.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: MB 550 offset and coons ? - 07/10/20 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Yes they can and will pull out if you catch them by the toes. Had a large boar pull out just as I pulled up to the set. Would have lost him had it not been for the dog. If your targeting coon, why not use dog proofs?

Will be for coyote and fox, but I always get big coons too. Hate to lose those.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: MB 550 offset and coons ? - 07/10/20 11:07 AM

I have taken them in 550 offsets but not ideal. Those are big traps with a lot of space to chew.
Posted By: 2cylinder

Re: MB 550 offset and coons ? - 07/10/20 11:33 AM

I wouldn't worry to much about it. You might lose a toe caught one here or there, as long as you got decent pan tension most of the coon should be waiting for you.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: MB 550 offset and coons ? - 07/10/20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by kyron4
Can and do coons pull out of an offset MB550 ? Do the offset do less damage than the closed ? I have an area where domestics might be an issue. -Thanks

I loose far fewer coon with longer chains and extra swivels, I trapped 2 domestic dogs last season , the owner released them both. No issues.. I run all 4 coils, I probably trapped 40 coon in canine sets and lost 2.. Before I went to longer chains and 4 coils I lost more coon. I run 2.50 pan tension and rarely get a toe catch with coyotes or coon. All from actual trapline experience....
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: MB 550 offset and coons ? - 07/10/20 09:50 PM

They held my coon that got in my coyote sets just fine. I did have longer chain and a shock spring.
Posted By: patrapper1989

Re: MB 550 offset and coons ? - 07/11/20 12:01 PM

If you have them use them. If you're buying new I'd ask yourself what's the real benefit of an offset trap? Higher levers? The small amount they come up higher than a regular jaw trap really has no effect on holding a coyote in a 550. And the rare toe catch is more likely to be held by a regular jaw than offset. I've caught big coyotes in reg jaw 550s and 450s with never any issues. Animal comfort is no difference and in my experiences have seen more foot damage with offsets than regular jaw. I know that's a whole other subject and not trying to create a debate but just my opinion on my experiences running a mixed line.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: MB 550 offset and coons ? - 07/11/20 04:29 PM

Got rid of my offsets 1.75s years ago when the price of coon was decent. Too many incedentals walking away from fox and coyote sets. Right now it wouldn't make much difference.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: MB 550 offset and coons ? - 07/11/20 07:06 PM

I ordered some Duke #3 (non offset ) but they came offset I wasn't all Into sending them back so they are just sitting around un used. If we ever have another convention I'll be tail gating and they will be gone. I'm not a offset fan.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums