Home

Laminations on 2 coil traps

Posted By: Anonymous

Laminations on 2 coil traps - 07/28/20 03:27 PM

Is it true that laminations will slow down a 2 coil trap? Or is this just over-thinking the matter? I imagine adding any weight would slow it down, but is it even a perceivable amount? Thanks, getting ready to order a bunch of stuff, just trying to decide how far I'm gonna go with modifications.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 07/28/20 03:49 PM

On a brand new 2 coiled trap I don't see any issues to be had. It's not as much the trap firing slower due to added weight but now the jaw is trying to cut threw a wider surface of debri that is slowing it down just my thoughts on it. Many trappers run laminated 2 coil traps. I prefer 4 coiled traps. But would hesitate to set them only being 2 coiled unless the springs are shot in that case laminated or not wouldn't be setting it to just miss the target animal.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 07/28/20 04:15 PM

I agree with The hammer on this. Late season with frozen ground can really slow things down and the extra springs can defiantly help. The nice thing is you can always add the extra springs later if you like and it's not that expensive to do so.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 07/28/20 05:34 PM

I see no reason to laminate those traps.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 07/28/20 05:37 PM

...keep going and put #3 springs on the laminated traps crazy
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 08/01/20 12:55 AM

Would replacing the stock springs with the music wire springs help?

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 08/01/20 05:10 AM

Yes.
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 08/01/20 05:48 AM

Yes . I do it. I take my 1.5 coilsprings and put #2 springs on them. They will hold on. When I was young I would take northwood 1.5 put #2 music springs on them for Bobcats. We was poor so couldn't buy different traps. I would take my green fur in and trade for traps . I traded for a bunch of 1.5 northwood square and round jaws. I even caught coyotes in them. NOT my goto coyote traps. I sure miss them days.
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 08/01/20 03:53 PM

I'm more inclined to go up a spring size than to 4 coil, but that's just me.

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 08/01/20 05:10 PM

Thanks for posting the question Cysquatch, and thanks to all you more experienced guys.
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 08/01/20 05:51 PM

I too go up a spring size and 4 coil them but that's just me.

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 08/01/20 08:12 PM

I’m laminating some Bridger 1.5’s just to be doing. I’m going to order some music wire springs next week, I may go up to a #2 but I haven’t decided.

Re: Laminations on 2 coil traps - 08/01/20 08:20 PM

Why do you feel you have to laminate those traps?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums