Home

Best budget mixed line trap

Posted By: Anonymous

Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 03:53 PM

Im looking to get some budget traps for some new land I can trap. Looking to get 2 dozen more. I'm spoiled with the 550's I currently use but I cant swing the $400+ to get those. I was hoping I get some feedback on some traps I can be confident in setting for coyotes. I don't mind a bit of setup (night latch, adjusting pan tension, adjusting pan for level). Id prefer not to mess with chain setups and baseplating, laminating. I was looking at victor #3's even those are at $144 a dozen, cheaper than that would be great. Any feedback/ suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 04:33 PM

Take a look at Duke #2 square jaws.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 04:34 PM

Bridger #2 c/s
Good price and good trap
Posted By: 080808

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 04:48 PM

2X on the Bridgers.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 05:28 PM

I have some #2 Dukes and they are a good trap for the money.
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur

Vote for dukes. I was at the nta in Springfield when it was there last time. I paid 80 or 85.00 for a dz of #2 duke 4 coil offset sj traps. I dont own any yet look up wolf creek traps "2 square jaw dogless offset traps. Looks like a good trap. But after I went to brigder #2 4 coil offset dogless. I am big fan of them. But wolf creek #2 dogless offset r 84.00 dz and #3 dogless offset r 99.00 dz. U could 4 coil laminate swivels still have money left.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 05:52 PM

The Duke 550s can be found for around $150.00 a dozen, then you'd have more of the same style you already like for around $300.00 You could get them even cheaper at a convention if they hold one in your area.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 06:01 PM

When I was broke I used duke #2s and I caught fur with them. If you’re going to be targeting coyotes you will have to tweak them after each catch and sometimes a coyote will just completely wreck it.
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 06:08 PM

I would do bridgers. They are a great trap. And if you did not want to invest in modifying right away. You will still have them to modify later on. They already come base plated. All you would need to do is laminate and 4 coil. If a coyote can completely destroy a duke. Than what is the value of buying a 10$ trap just to catch 1 animal? Seems like a bad investment.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Flint Hill fur

Nice yote trap. Just got 3doz. Just put more pan tension on them and waxed.

They r ready to go! Already base plated and center swiveled, contact edges rounded,5 1/2" jaw spread. Spent more time adapting trappers cap to work with bigger and thicker pan.

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
When I was broke I used duke #2s and I caught fur with them. If you’re going to be targeting coyotes you will have to tweak them after each catch and sometimes a coyote will just completely wreck it.

Well I don't think you were using the "NEW" #2 Duke 4 coiled squared jawed traps. I've caught a fair amount of coyotes It them and never had to re make the trap.
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Originally Posted by Bob

Well I don't think you were using the "NEW" #2 Duke 4 coiled squared jawed traps. I've caught a fair amount of coyotes It them and never had to re make the trap.

X2
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 08:49 PM

Agree Bridger Two will give you a lot bang for your buck. I've had Bridger Coils 2 and 3' that I had over 15 years and used every season. Only thing I ever did was add an extra two coils after they weakened a little bit from years of service.

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 09:12 PM

That's always been Bridger's problem Weak springs.
I had to remove the extra 2 coils off my Dukes since they were to strong In my opinion.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 09:38 PM

Gotta recommend the Sleepy Creek 1.75 round pan, regular jaw, which is really a #2 size trap.

Built well, and will hold a coyote, no prob.

Southern Snares sells them.

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 09:45 PM

Lots of great info here, so for both the dukes and bridgers, everyone pretty much using them right out of the box?

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 09:51 PM

Just bend the dog post a bit to flatten out the pan and set em.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/01/20 11:23 PM

Another affordable one is the Vic #2. My first half doz traps were these and still going strong after multiple yote catches. I eventually added some #2 straight link to get rid of the ol dog chain. (Never had it fail)
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/02/20 04:39 AM

Duke #3 is a pretty good canine trap. The first couple dozen I bought years ago were $77 a dozen.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/02/20 04:48 AM

Learn to snare- it is very inexpensive
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/02/20 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Coon Duke
Duke #3 is a pretty good canine trap. The first couple dozen I bought years ago were $77 a dozen.

Duke #3 4 coil offset I use them on public land. I have 3 dz fixed up. Got around last yr. Put new #3 music springs and 4 coil them. But the duke #2 4 coil square jaw r great traps for money. I put 3 swivels per trap. Fixing to laminate them. I think 110.00 a dz free shipping.

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/02/20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

We can't snare in wisconsim, only cable restraints. And we have to wait until December to start..... mad
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/02/20 03:00 PM

Can't go wrong with any traps listed here but if you have and like 550's go with something similar
Posted By: Yooper1978

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/02/20 03:12 PM

Be sure to check out Wolf Creek Products!! Contact Glen Witchey or Kristen on here.

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/02/20 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cysquatch

We can't snare in wisconsim, only cable restraints. And we have to wait until December to start..... mad

That may change next year.

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/02/20 07:14 PM

That may change next year.

I did see that, Lets hope it happens
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/02/20 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cysquatch
Learn to snare cable restraint in Dec- it is very inexpensive

There I fixed it for ya LOL
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/02/20 10:35 PM

Just took a cursory glance and there was only $0.55 difference between the Duke #2 OS square jaw and the Bridger #2 OS.

I've no experience with Duke traps but can vouch for three different models of Bridger traps, their #2 OS, #5 OS and their DP's.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/03/20 02:38 AM

I think Bridger's might be your best choice for a budget trap, but you might check out the Montana traps also. A little more expensive, mainly because you would need to go with a #3 since they don't make a #2. I've never used them myself, but I know several guys who have and love them. Also, keep an eye out for used traps, if you keep a lookout you may be able to save some money or pick up something like your prefered MBs for the price of new Dukes or Bridgers.

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/03/20 06:58 PM

I figured I'd update this thread. I ended up going with some victor #3's They werent Duke cheap, but not MB550 $$$. Middle of the road. Again thank you everyone for your advice.

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/03/20 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by We-Sa
Just took a cursory glance and there was only $0.55 difference between the Duke #2 OS square jaw and the Bridger #2 OS.

I've no experience with Duke traps but can vouch for three different models of Bridger traps, their #2 OS, #5 OS and their DP's.

Not when you throw In free shipping.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/03/20 08:23 PM

Beav, I thought you were a round jawed trap fan?
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/03/20 08:46 PM

With a number 3 closed jaw you can add some beavers to your mixed line. The Victors will suit you fine.

I catch a few dozen in closed jaw Bridger #3s and think they are probably my go to "if only one trap". You can floppy pan them in two coil and use as Mink/Muskrat body grips even.
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/10/20 12:03 AM

Who has free shipping on dukes?
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/10/20 01:04 AM

Duke has free shipping on Dukes.

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/10/20 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Beav, I thought you were a round jawed trap fan?

Not when the price Is right.
I do have a few doz Duke #3s

Any Duke order over $100.00 Is shipped free.
Posted By: Ryan333

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/10/20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by AnthonyT
Duke has free shipping on Dukes.

How do you order from duke?
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/10/20 07:54 PM

www.wolfcreekproducts.net They g=have good traps, in lots of sizes, for a budget price. Everyone I've talked to really likes them. Lots of reports of super high catches with 'em! also, the Duke #1.75, offset, 4 coiled are great too, for fox, bobcat, and coyote!. They have thick jaws and a baseplated too, so thats great! www.duketraps.com
Posted By: Bob

Re: Best budget mixed line trap - 08/10/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bob

You would be correct. I have not handled a new duke trap for some time, my opinion was based on the round jawed #2s they sold. If they have improved since, I rescind my comment smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums