Home

Trap staking question

Posted By: KeeperOfTheCoons

Trap staking question - 08/10/20 06:19 PM

Can you use heavy duty screws and plates to secure footholds? I have a bunch for installing rubber roofing and while I would reinforce the plate with a washer but all you would have to do is drive the screw into a tree or stump. I imagine you would need thick screws and screws can snap under pressure but it seems if like you could find out what works just using screws, plates, and a drill you could find a new method that is cheaper and lightweight. I would rather do that if it works rather than carrying rebar.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Trap staking question - 08/10/20 06:44 PM

A large fence staple would probably work better.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Trap staking question - 08/10/20 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
A large fence staple would probably work better.

my thoughts exactly.
Posted By: Outdoors Guy

Re: Trap staking question - 08/10/20 06:58 PM

^^^^
Posted By: KeeperOfTheCoons

Re: Trap staking question - 08/10/20 08:54 PM

Thanks guys!
Posted By: Newt

Re: Trap staking question - 08/11/20 10:01 AM

3/32" x 72" 7x7 extension cable. Loop end with a quick link on the other end.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: Trap staking question - 08/11/20 11:33 AM

I'm with newt - I use cable on all of my coon traps. Adjustable loop on each end. I run one loop through the swivel at the end of the chain (or a large chain link I have added), put the trap through the loop and cinch it down. Put cable around tree, root, whatever - stick trap through loop and its done. Takes maybe 30 seconds.

Re: Trap staking question - 08/11/20 01:53 PM

Why mess with all that cable when a staple will make life a lot easier. And a whole lot cheaper.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Trap staking question - 08/11/20 02:24 PM

Beav is right a #2 barbed fence staple for coon is too easy.

Re: Trap staking question - 08/11/20 03:06 PM

Because if I drive a staple into a tree on public land I am going to get a ticket for it. Plus I can anchor way up at the top of the bank, set the trap in the water and any caught coon is up the bank and dry and fluffy and not covered with mud.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Trap staking question - 08/12/20 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by AnthonyT
Because if I drive a staple into a tree on public land I am going to get a ticket for it. Plus I can anchor way up at the top of the bank, set the trap in the water and any caught coon is up the bank and dry and fluffy and not covered with mud.

What if you choose a root system? I took instruction from a pretty well known guy and when available and applicable he used 2" fence staples. Old school but good information.

Re: Trap staking question - 08/12/20 04:55 PM

I guess If I couldn't drive a staple I would be using a stake. With a stake I can set a trap anyplace I want trees or no trees.

Re: Trap staking question - 08/12/20 05:52 PM

Can't drive a nail or staple into any part of a living tree on public land here. Stakes are nice if you don't have rock - the creeks where I trap are either rock or gravel that wont hold a stake. No shortage of trees to anchor to. I didn't just start doing this - its what I have come up with over years of doing this. Just way easier around here. Plus I can carry a lot more cables than I can rebar stakes.

Re: Trap staking question - 08/12/20 06:06 PM

You have to use wast ever fits the location.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums