Home

Fence staples?

Posted By: KeeperOfTheCoons

Fence staples? - 08/25/20 08:28 PM

To what extent can you use fence staples for trapping? I have a pound of galvanized fence staples that are 1 and 1/2 inches long. If I got bigger ones that were barbed with say 2 inches or 2 and 1/2, would they hold an animal up to the size of a coyote? If so they it would become a great and cheap staking option. What will the ordinary 1 and 1/2 inch staples hold?
Posted By: Ave

Re: Fence staples? - 08/25/20 08:41 PM

I don’t have any trapping experience with them, only fencing. Personally, I don’t think I’d use them for coyote trapping. Coyotes are very strong, and if there’s a flaw in your system, they can find it. Once they are caugh, coyotes will fight your trap hard. They might work for coon trapping, but I can’t say for sure.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Fence staples? - 08/25/20 09:25 PM

They use them on Martens ,Fishers, Mink, Coons animals of this size.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Fence staples? - 08/25/20 09:31 PM

Make sure you remove any thick bark so that you know you are only in solid wood.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Fence staples? - 08/26/20 12:53 AM

Not for yotes but every thing else.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Fence staples? - 08/26/20 03:28 AM

A 2 inch fence staple into green wood works well for me. If you are setting next to a tree anyway, why mess with a stake in a place with lots of roots? Just pound the staple into a big root. I use them a lot in certain areas. Held lots of big coon with them. I can only remember one coyote on a stapled set.
Posted By: ABO

Re: Fence staples? - 08/26/20 06:57 PM

I pounded one into a green willow root while coon trapping once ... had to cut it out with a hachet!
Posted By: Okiecntry

Re: Fence staples? - 08/26/20 08:34 PM

I save the short two or three link pieces of chain that you might not otherwise use (or make some). Staple this into a tree or big root and attach your trap chain with a quick link. If it a place you plan on using again just leave it. I never liked stapling my actual trap chain as they can be difficult to remove without damaging the chain. I have a few places with dead stumps/logs as well as old highline poles in highline right of ways that I do this but only attach to traps with drags on them. Coyotes have jerked the staples out a couple times but have been hung up in nearby brush.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Fence staples? - 09/29/20 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by KeeperOfTheCoons
To what extent can you use fence staples for trapping? I have a pound of galvanized fence staples that are 1 and 1/2 inches long. If I got bigger ones that were barbed with say 2 inches or 2 and 1/2, would they hold an animal up to the size of a coyote? If so they it would become a great and cheap staking option. What will the ordinary 1 and 1/2 inch staples hold?

Put enough of them in...you !
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Fence staples? - 09/29/20 02:10 PM

I have used the larger ones on clogs for drags, two per clog. Like said previously, you need to be sure to get bark off, and make sure the wood is solid. You will have to cut a wedge out with an axe to get them out.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Fence staples? - 09/29/20 11:30 PM

Coon Creek Outdoors uses 2" on his coon videos.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Fence staples? - 09/30/20 09:25 PM

I gotta ask, what’s stopping you from going around the tree/post/log, or whatever it is you’re wanting to staple to?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fence staples? - 09/30/20 10:24 PM

A 12" tree would take more then 40" of cable or chain to make It around. Sounds like a good reason to use a staple.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Fence staples? - 09/30/20 11:02 PM

Going around would be a heck of a lot more reliable though.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Fence staples? - 10/01/20 12:53 AM

I just use about 48” of cable looped on each end. Run around the tree and put one loop through the other and quick link other end to the trap. That’s only for coons. Haven’t tried it with coyotes. Don’t see why it wouldn’t work though.
Posted By: Coon Creek

Re: Fence staples? - 10/02/20 01:25 AM

For years I used pogos on all my small game sets then 5-6 years ago I started moving more towards drags/ toggles. For anchoring to these I started using fence staples. Because I already had all my traps set up with pogos. that served as a stop so all I had to do was staple over the pogos cable. I now anchor 99% of all my small game sets with staples weather be toggles or staking hard, for this I just staple into a tree. This system works great for me and I didn't have to change anything or deal with long extention cables. A 2'' barbed fence staple wil hold any coon,possum, skunk ,ext. I have held several bobcats also but I wouldn't recommend it. I would NEVER stake this way for yotes. It may hold but I wouldn't trust it.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Fence staples? - 10/02/20 02:51 AM

anyone comes to my land and puts a staple anywhere in my trees will not be here long!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums