Home

Fencing floats

Posted By: Turtledale

Fencing floats - 09/10/20 09:04 AM

Do you put fencing on your beaver floats? If so, what do you use?, sticks, fencing, higher boards and how high? Just made a few and looked through the archives saw some with and some without. Just wondering about opinions. Made some yesterday with 2x4's and foam board. Will beaver crawl over the edge without it?
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: Fencing floats - 09/10/20 01:01 PM

Not really. They stick up an inch and a half higher on the sides which may have some effect. Mostly I use in rivers due to fluctuations and they are V shaped. Nearly always a beaver approaches from down current...lining right up with the trap. My attractor is set up below the top of the wood into the apex of the V whether mud or green poplar.

When used in still water they are usually fitted up against cattail, grass, a cut in shore. So again no problem.

Using some in ADC work they can be out in the open on a lake. Still catches the beaver. So either 1.5 inches is enough, or not necessary. The beavers have not said to confirm or deny. Dead beavers don't talk.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Fencing floats - 09/10/20 01:13 PM

I use a series of sticks stuck in drilled holes and held together with zip ties. As you can see there is a beaver floating nearby in the 330.

[Linked Image]

The fencing may not be absolutely necessary but I have observed beaver on several occasions trying to go over the side and have had the bait sticks chewed off without the 330 being moved. This set is on a lake right under my window.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Fencing floats - 09/10/20 02:44 PM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Floats aren't my 'go-to' set. Floats are needed in a few situations around here.

Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Fencing floats - 09/10/20 10:37 PM

I’ve not needed fencing by default since I either
A) shove them into reeds or cattails
B) lay against shoreline and pull debris around it like Hern.
C) anchor in current. They enter from downstream/into current by nature.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Fencing floats - 09/11/20 12:51 AM

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll try most without fence. Am going to make one like MnMan for the river. Will definitely be using a couple like Hern. I like that blended in grass for border
© 2024 Trapperman Forums