Home

Testing

Posted By: jnsff69

Testing - 09/23/20 01:41 PM

So I guess I am kinda testing a homemade bobcat bait. Quick question, if I can't catch normal stray cats is that a sign of not good bait & going to waste my time using it for bobcats? It's a fish based bait..
Thoughts?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Testing - 09/23/20 01:49 PM

Not sure exactly what you mean by "cant catch normal stray cats" but if vats don't show any intrest id be guessing that wild cats wouldn't either
But I say I don't have a lot of experience testing on bobcats. Maybe someone with more experience will comment.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Testing - 09/23/20 02:02 PM

I've never had luck using fish products for bobcats.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Testing - 09/23/20 02:19 PM

I'm with Monster Toms on this one. I'd go with some type of red meat. Beaver would be my first choice then muskrat or venison.

Re: Testing - 09/23/20 02:51 PM

Stray cats - use to be house cats but neighbors moved and only took 20 of the 50 cats they had and are ruining my garden & having babies under my sheds.
Ok on the red meat, but closest beaver is maybe 300 miles from around here. How about maybe some tx hog trimmings from my last tx trip as I butcher my own meats. I know it's not red but I happen to have a few pounds of that in the freezer..
And state law is any viscera from game animals prohibited...
Posted By: zallen

Re: Testing - 09/23/20 03:10 PM

Caught a lot of bobcats on salted mackerel
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Testing - 09/23/20 03:31 PM

I have seen housecats ignore some pretty popular bobcat lures and a couple instances where mountain lions did not react to beaver castor.No scientific tests so not sure if that means anything but I suspect there may be some difference in what different cats like.Mike Marsayada believes that catnip is more attractive to bobcats than housecats.I have no hard evidence on any of this,just saying there may be some differences.

I can tell you that feral cat makes great canine and cat bait.I have used road killed cat and house cat droppings to catch bobcats.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Testing - 09/23/20 03:33 PM

Cats catch cats...meat, paws, etc.

Re: Testing - 09/23/20 03:55 PM

I believe house cat odors really tick off bobcats.I wouldn't mind having a gallon of that urine.I know the droppings are a plus at a set.

Re: Testing - 09/24/20 02:44 AM

I was kinda thinking that way... if I get any. chunk em up with a butcher knife & freeze for bucket or cubbie sets.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Testing - 09/24/20 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by jnsff69
I was kinda thinking that way... if I get any. chunk em up with a butcher knife & freeze for bucket or cubbie sets.

and chunks are perfect for dirt holes when you peg em in place with a lil stick sideways, so should they get ahold of bait it doesn't just come out and they shuffle their feet some.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Testing - 09/24/20 01:10 PM

if you WANT to catch em, just use cheap cat food from the dollar store, especially the canned food.

Re: Testing - 09/24/20 02:17 PM

Probably 60 some years ago I was talking to a western trapper and he had house cats. He carried a full litter box with him on the line. He used the turds and he also sifted out some of the urine soaked litter over his set.

Re: Testing - 09/24/20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Originally Posted by jnsff69

and chunks are perfect for dirt holes when you peg em in place with a lil stick sideways, so should they get ahold of bait it doesn't just come out and they shuffle their feet some.

Bamboo skewers are good for that.

Re: Testing - 09/24/20 04:01 PM

If you go the chunk bait thing just gut the critter don't skin It then freeze It. Once frozen take your saw and cut them up Into chunks. A band saw works great. Then you end up with frozen chunks and you can take out what you need for that days run.

Pole barn spikes work great for anchoring the chunks In place.

Re: Testing - 09/24/20 05:40 PM

Agree Beav.I have used pole barn spikes also,especially in frozen ground.I would probably cut it up with a hatchet,only because I hate cleaning the bandsaw.Hide on,pieces work well,especially if you can legally have some of that hide exposed.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums