Home

Anyone getting traps in the ground yet?

Posted By: OregonBeaver

Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/05/20 09:24 PM

Chopping at the bit here, pretty warm tho. In the 80s and lows of 30..planning for October 15th for the k9 lines. How about everyone else?[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/05/20 09:27 PM

I’m ready, but our season doesn’t open until Dec 1. And deer season is in and most landowners want to wait until deer season goes out in January. Still got a while...
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/05/20 10:37 PM

15th I am going to so some limited set for coyotes, we fall calve also so I have some nuisance dogs that are going to run the gauntlet. I keep telling myself this is a test line, but inside I really know its just the start of my season lol. We have already had snow ( actually accumulated and stayed for a couple days) and few nights below freezing so that is hard on a guy thats ready to lay steel.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/06/20 02:24 AM

I’m gonna start getting some sets out in the next week or two. My kids want to get their kit fox lines out
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/06/20 02:38 AM

Put out a dozen Coyote sets with my 5 and 2 year old on Saturday. I was going to wait till mid October but my nephew was coming down from Utah and has always wanted to check traps with me. We are doing the first check tomorrow. If we catch anything it will most likely be a kit fox or badger. Still will be fun for him to see something. Our Vegas coyotes worth the same anytime in the fall and winter. I think I had a $5 dollar difference between an October shot coyote and a December trapped coyote. They don’t get to pretty haha.
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/06/20 04:28 AM

Our seasons starts the 15th. I've got a place that's easy to check. So I think just going to put 1 set out just for fun. I have little over a month then I get to start my yearly sabbatical as my family puts it.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/06/20 09:33 AM

Waiting until after thanksgiving here. Much better quality here if i wait until then. Well, that, and its well after rifle deer season and a good month after bird season too. So, better fur and less issues for me if I wait until then to start. grin
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/06/20 11:03 AM

with the market the way it is I'm in no hurry, 11/10 maybe..
Posted By: Wife

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/06/20 12:01 PM

I have traps operating from July to May of the next year. It varies from beaver to coons to coyotes to meadow voles to squirrels etc. You have to be an all around trapper here to satisfy folks and I get paid for some,,, others pro-bono for trespass rights. I use every tip I have acquired in 55 years of fur chasing to keep a trap working in all types of weather, soil type, society restrictions, landowner requests etc.,,,,,,,,,,, BUT ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I still start to hyperventilate (like you guys-- at a slower pace now) when I get within 2 weeks of setting a fall trapline. Think it may be a genetic flaw ! ! ! LOL
Posted By: LDW

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/07/20 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Waiting until after thanksgiving here. Much better quality here if i wait until then. Well, that, and its well after rifle deer season and a good month after bird season too. So, better fur and less issues for me if I wait until then to start. grin

I do the same here. Not worth fighting the orange army, coyotes get shot or stolen or both. I have one pasture I set Nov. 1, but pull them all before deer season. It helps scratch the itch.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/07/20 11:31 AM

I'll start November 1st here. Don't need to let a bunch of raccoons out. I'm just ready to get out there. Fur quality isn't my #1 motivation. I understand the people that it is. I trap in places the orange army are too lazy to get to and do it in the middle of the night.
Posted By: mimusp

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/07/20 02:03 PM

The season here in Ohio opens around the 10th of Nov. for everything but beavers and otters. These two species open the day after xmas. I don't know if mink will be prime until after Thanksgiving and I'm thinking of holding off setting for them until then. I've got a creek on Nat'l Forest land that just screams mink. With fur prices nowadays it probably doesn't matter. But I hope to skin taxidermy style and tan two of each species that I catch for wall hangings, one bunch for here at home in Dayton and one bunch for the trailer at camp in Gallia County.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/07/20 02:22 PM

I have an early coyote line out that is in an area where I need to get in before Pheasant season starts nov 1. I may not get in there after bird season due to weather. I also have a small rat line out to get some bait to work with. Also have some nuisance sets out for a few folks. Bunch of little things turns into a decent line.
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/07/20 04:25 PM

Not 'till Nov. 2nd! We'll be running Sleepy Creek, Wolf Creek, & Duke traps this season!
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/07/20 09:02 PM

I will be setting predator traps on the 15th for a week or so then off for a week to work out of town and back and forth all season. Sure is nice that nobody wants to work this year, I have been so busy I can't believe it. I will trap in January. Have the woods to myself then for the most part cuz the softies quit playing out there by then. Little snow and cold don't scare me.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/08/20 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by trappergbus

Smart man.

Sounds like the market may only want and be willing to pay decent money for the best of the best.
Posted By: Fireplug

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/08/20 12:57 AM

25th is our land trapping opener. Probably just do a few traps until December, so I can deer hunt for the whole season, then beaver, muskrat and mink will be in as well so my son and I can trap full time until season ends. Love this new job of mine, off November through March!!
Posted By: beezmador

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/09/20 12:41 AM

Season begins a week from Sunday here and the steel is going in
Posted By: old_newbie

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/09/20 01:01 AM

In about 2 weeks I will be starting to lay out my line for the season(coyotes), and I can hardly wait. They won't be the $120+ coyotes of last season, but I am gonna go for it anyway.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/09/20 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Boone Liane
Originally Posted by trappergbus

Smart man.

Sounds like the market may only want and be willing to pay decent money for the best of the best.

As I understand it also and do not be in any hurry to sell either.
Posted By: Govtrapper

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/10/20 01:56 AM

Yep I'm going but I never really stop. I trap coyotes year round. But I'm really starting to get traps out now
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/10/20 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Govtrapper
Yep I'm going but I never really stop. I trap coyotes year round. But I'm really starting to get traps out now

I dont really ever stop either. I just take small breaks from time to time and catch hogs and go on out of state trapping adventures! LOL!
Posted By: Sfranks

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/10/20 11:52 PM

Season starts Nov 10 for me.getting traps and stuff ready, finish up some scouting till then .might catch a coon or two just see how blue they still are the second week of season then set steel full on.hopefully il get drawn for the controlled beaver/otter lottery
Posted By: Sfranks

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/11/20 12:15 AM

Season starts Nov 10 for me.getting traps and stuff ready, finish up some scouting till then .might catch a coon or two just see how blue they still are the second week of season then set steel full on.hopefully il get drawn for the controlled beaver/otter lottery
Posted By: OregonBeaver

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/14/20 01:03 PM

first trap check yesterday [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/14/20 06:24 PM

Great check Oregon!!
Posted By: Spade

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/14/20 08:35 PM

Season opens tomorrow, and rain and snow mix for the next 6 days, at least it is sand so the water drains off quickly
Posted By: Cgritter

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/14/20 10:32 PM

Next Friday!

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/15/20 12:04 AM

I’ve been slapping new chains on, adding swivels and tuning traps all day. Slowly switching over to drags from super stakes now that I will be trapping high desert and mountains instead of prairies and farmland. Just got my new tags in, have to add them to all my traps for the address change. Then boil and wax about 3 dozen traps that I haven’t got to yet. Gotta clean out my horse trailer, as I no longer have a skinning shed that will have to suffice for this year. Probably have to buy or make more stretchers. I’m hoping to have steel in the ground this weekend, if nothing else help my kids set a kit fox line. Get some coyote sets out maybe. Then November 1 bobcat opens and I will be running full tilts and hopefully seeing spots.

My wife said if I set every trap I own this year she will let me buy more. Challenge accepted lol.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/15/20 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bob

My wife said if I set every trap I own this year she will let me buy more. Challenge accepted lol.

I would accept that challenge too! She didn't say WHERE you had to set them. Set them all in your yard, take a picture for proof and go shopping!
Our land season starts today. I will probably throw a few coyote sets out after I get out of work (7:30am).
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/15/20 03:07 PM

It's still a little early to trap here in the Black Hills of SD. Takes the same amount of gas plus time and effort to trap un prime fur as prime fur. I think I will finish working on traps and snares and maybe clean my wood stove flue in the fur shop today.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/15/20 03:11 PM

Not yet don't weaken
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/15/20 04:36 PM

Setting for coyotes this coming Saturday.

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/16/20 12:48 AM

Got 39 sets in today.

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/16/20 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by strike2x
Got 39 sets in today.

I expect to see some catch pics tomorrow!

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/16/20 01:44 AM

How many possum and coon will be the question. I have the privilege of taking another fellow trapper man on a ride along. Four corners from Ohio just happened to be on a vacation in my town. Should be a good day. Hoping to catch something other than possum and coon. Pictures will be posted....

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/16/20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by strike2x
How many possum and coon will be the question. I have the privilege of taking another fellow trapper man on a ride along. Four corners from Ohio just happened to be on a vacation in my town. Should be a good day. Hoping to catch something other than possum and coon. Pictures will be posted....

Nothing this morning?

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/17/20 02:15 AM

Was a long day, set another 20 something sets and hunted this evening. That was after Donnie and I checked traps. Was nice to hear another trappers perspective on our different terrain. Saw one coyote from the Jeep. Didn't put any coyote in the back though. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
It was nice meeting Donnie, aka Four Corners, made a new friend today.

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/17/20 02:19 AM

Forgot to mention the fox was caught in a Duke 550 that I had paint dipped and could still smell the paint. As some may recall, I painted them in late August. Curious to see if coyote will get caught in them.

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/17/20 06:53 PM

That is a good looking coon!
If you skinned it, how did the leather look?

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/17/20 11:35 PM

The leather on the coon was not dark but still not white. Doesn't matter since I sell to a taxidermist. I do skin all coon I catch. Good feet go taxidermy bad feet go on a board. Thinking about tanning some for wall hangers this year.
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/18/20 01:31 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/19/20 01:00 AM

[Linked Image]
First one of the 20-21 season. Nice to look at fun to release.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/20/20 03:29 PM

Cool locations Laz. Happy birthday strike2x

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/20/20 04:35 PM

Strike2x it sucks you have to release it. I’m praying I don’t get one in my coyote sets before bobcat season opens. I’ll cry if I have to let a $300 bobcat go lol
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/21/20 12:31 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/21/20 01:27 AM

Great pics Scout!!
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/21/20 02:35 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The coon were trapped by request because they were coming on someone's deck and eating cat food, the badger and skunk just ended up messing up a couple of supposed K9 sets. But not a bad 1st night check. At least there was something waiting for me. Some weather moved in and got them active I think. Chased Snow geese today though with ok success.

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/21/20 02:50 AM

Well that badger really messed up your remake but the skunk just made that set a canine magnet. I always catch coyotes in skunk remakes. Every time. They just cant resist it
Posted By: Short Track

Re: Anyone getting traps in the ground yet? - 10/21/20 04:09 PM

I only trap for prime fur. Thanksgiving & after.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums