Home

Bubble welding jaw tips ?

Posted By: kyron4

Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/09/20 07:30 PM

Getting some Duke # 3 coil springs ready for season. Usually I will bubble weld the jaw tips to prevent popped jaws, but does it really need to be done ? Can or will a coyote pop the offset jaws of a Duke #3 ? Thanks
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/09/20 09:39 PM

Yes. And better safe than sorry. It takes little time to do it also.
Posted By: kabguy

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/09/20 10:49 PM

Instead of bubble welding, how about putting trap in a vise, heating ends with torch, and bending the ends up slightly? I have done this for my coyote traps with much success; haven't seen a down side to it. I don't weld. smile
Posted By: rodneyb

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/09/20 11:27 PM

I do my best to coyote proof all my traps and have no regrets.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/09/20 11:50 PM

I can see where a shade tree welder could ruin a lot of jaws.
I yet to have a coyote pop any jaws on the traps I use. And I use Duke #3s.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/10/20 01:17 AM

some guys bend them up with vise grips
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/10/20 02:42 AM

Jaw lamination could also be done to reinforce jaws...help prevent pop outs
Posted By: Bob

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/10/20 07:07 AM

If you have the skill and the time, do it. Does it have to be done? No. But it makes me feel better. If nothing else it makes me confident in my equipment. No “what if’s” playing in my head.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/10/20 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
some guys bend them up with vise grips

This is what I do
J
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/10/20 08:16 PM

Heck I even weld 8p nails to the flat dogs to reinforce them.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/14/20 03:51 PM

I have 2 doz,Duke # 3's.The jaw tips are heavy and after several years of use,no problems,so I think it is not needed but like the others have said,it also won't hurt anything.

To me,it is more important to address the pan pivot area of that trap.The Duke,brass pan screws are junk.I take the pan out and file any burrs off the pan shank.I then file the burrs off the inside of pan posts.Since I am going to change out the pan screw anyway,I get the brass #10 panscrew,washer,and nut kits from the suppliers.Without doing this work,the original pan has uneven tension throughout it's travel.Once this work is done,and correctly,these pans work as well as any I have used.

The dogs are flimsy so I change them out for SS rod dogs as I do on most traps.I also grind thr sharp edges off all the jaws,inside and out.
Posted By: TNcat

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/14/20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Taximan
I have 2 doz,Duke # 3's.The jaw tips are heavy and after several years of use,no problems,so I think it is not needed but like the others have said,it also won't hurt anything.

To me,it is more important to address the pan pivot area of that trap.The Duke,brass pan screws are junk.I take the pan out and file any burrs off the pan shank.I then file the burrs off the inside of pan posts.Since I am going to change out the pan screw anyway,I get the brass #10 panscrew,washer,and nut kits from the suppliers.Without doing this work,the original pan has uneven tension throughout it's travel.Once this work is done,and correctly,these pans work as well as any I have used.

The dogs are flimsy so I change them out for SS rod dogs as I do on most traps.I also grind thr sharp edges off all the jaws,inside and out.

Originally Posted by Taximan

I do exactly the same thing , only difference I use ss screw, washer and nut.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/14/20 06:12 PM

SS works as well but I feel it greatly improves those traps to do that pivot area work.Dukes have a lot of sharp burrs where parts were stamped out.I knocked those off other areas but I think if you do it nowhere else,the pivot area should be addressed.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Bubble welding jaw tips ? - 10/14/20 06:44 PM

Like Mchewk said.
I never had jaws pop out yet - even from 1 1/2 coils that were laminated. Had chain chewed almost in half though.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums