Home

Is this a fluke?

Posted By: Spade

Is this a fluke? - 10/17/20 05:11 PM

I have always been told if trapping fox to always use fox urine, as coyote urine and/or bobcat urine tends to scare them away. But, you can use fox urine on sets and catch coyotes. Yesterday I got in 19 sets for strickly coyotes, combo of dirt holes, flat sets and post sets, some with bait alone, some with bait and coyote urine.

Today while checking the line I had 1 coyote on a post set, 4 red fox on dirt hole, and a gray fox on a dirt hole, 2 of the red fox were old timers, all the sets that coyote urine was used on held the fox. Either this a fluke or have I been misled? Now my thinking is all mixed up about urine use. Any help.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/17/20 05:34 PM

You have been misled. Coyote urine will not deter foxes. Foxes and coyotes like to steal from each other, so a fox is not afraid to check out a potential meal just because there was a coyote there before.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/17/20 05:43 PM

Too many opposing theories out there for some of them not to be a little incorrect
Posted By: bfisch

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/17/20 08:33 PM

Foxes also check out wolf urine.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/17/20 11:27 PM

They will also check out Human urine.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/18/20 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
You have been misled
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/18/20 05:05 PM

19 sets out, 1 coyote, 4 red fox and 1 gray fox... a day like that isn't a fluke, but it sure is a very pleasant surprise!
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/18/20 11:51 PM

fox can also be caught on bobcat urine, no problem
Posted By: Dennis W

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/19/20 12:51 AM

6 catches out of 19 sets is very good. Keep doing what you're doing.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/20/20 09:49 PM

A lot of the oldest red fox I've trapped over the years have been with coyote urine. Greed, curiosity who knows. But it sure doesn't matter. 6 out of 19 is fantastic. Especially in the UP..
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/20/20 10:42 PM

I catch plenty of fox on yote urine, and vice versa. Had a double, 40 yards apart...fox and coyote. Both sets has coyote urine.

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/21/20 12:58 AM

I've caught grays using mink and rabbit urine, as a change up, but I always thought it was because the fox was more of a predator. Therefor a larger predator would spook the smaller.
Well, at least now I don't have to be so particular of my urine choice. Always learning I like it.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/21/20 01:53 AM

I miss trapping the Hiawatha Forest. Really Nice catch.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/21/20 01:55 AM

Oh ya not a fluke or luck. You must have put well made sets at very good locations. Keep some of those hot spots for when they prime up.

Re: Is this a fluke? - 10/21/20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by John-Chagnon
I miss trapping the Hiawatha Forest. Really Nice catch.

Originally Posted by John-Chagnon
Oh ya not a fluke or luck. You must have put well made sets at very good locations. Keep some of those hot spots for when they prime up.

John: Yes, as you know truly gods country up here. Supposed to get 3 inches of snow tonite, if it doesn't turn to rain tomorrow, I get to start looking for tracks, and pick some good travel areas.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums