Home

Lure testing

Posted By: Wanna Be

Lure testing - 10/19/20 11:50 PM

Ok, I am so ready to put traps in the ground but still have another couple of months before that can happen. My question is this...is it counterproductive to test lures or baits and put a camera on it? Will it cause that particular animal to avoid it later? And would you do it on actual location or maybe some other area to see what it might draw in?
And if this is a stupid idea please say so!!
I know this may not be the same example, but like when scouting for turkeys or roosting turkeys before season...no calling whatsoever. I want the first calling from me to be when I can kill him. Should predators get that first smell or taste only when I can catch them?
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Lure testing - 10/20/20 12:09 AM

I don't think it's a stupid idea. I always preferred to do it after season. I want them to smell what I am putting down the first time around. I'd assume which could be wrong some curiosity will be lost with multiple visits. I think you already answered your own question.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Lure testing - 10/20/20 12:14 AM

Yeah, was just wanting to scratch that itch!
Posted By: OregonBeaver

Re: Lure testing - 10/20/20 06:04 AM

In my little experience with testing different baits I made this year..id say no it isn't counter productive. I made 3 different batches of bait this year and placed several dirthole sets in August/September in front of cameras to see how the coyotes would react. Put 7 coyotes on the stretchers the last week at these locations. So I wouldn't worry
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Lure testing - 10/20/20 10:58 AM

I put out a lot of test sets through the year and don't see it causing any problems. If the coyote really like what you put out he will like it again in 2 weeks. I got some locations I test 8 to 10 different formulations at in a year and the coyotes just keep working the set. I will say these test sets are right at the edge of the road. I have had coyotes quit me on locations I have had to walk 20 or 30 yds into after ive walked in 4 or 5 times.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Lure testing - 10/23/20 06:40 PM

this is just me personally. my lure testing is always during trapping season at sets. if ya test before season, depending on how early ya test, your results could be on animals reaction to 'warm weather' likes. I have certain lures that work better in early season & ones that work better in mid/late season for sure. BUT anyone that tests pre-season post the results! everyone is always interested in seeing that!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Lure testing - 10/23/20 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by patrapperbuster
this is just me personally. my lure testing is always during trapping season at sets. if ya test before season, depending on how early ya test, your results could be on animals reaction to 'warm weather' likes. I have certain lures that work better in early season & ones that work better in mid/late season for sure. BUT anyone that tests pre-season post the results! everyone is always interested in seeing that!

I test year around. And after doing so I have not seen any seasonal effects on the attractiveness of a lure or bait. The really good ones are the same whether it's May or November.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Lure testing - 10/23/20 11:04 PM

thanks for posting
© 2024 Trapperman Forums