Home

Smart beaver

Posted By: mtwood24

Smart beaver - 10/21/20 04:22 AM

I’ve been trying to catch a beaver, but it has tripped my conibear 2 times now. Any pointers on how to catch it?
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Smart beaver - 10/21/20 04:27 AM

Snares.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Smart beaver - 10/21/20 05:07 AM

Blind set-foothold,or snare.No lure.
Shooting may be an option.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Smart beaver - 10/21/20 11:01 AM

^^
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Smart beaver - 10/21/20 12:27 PM

What sets are you using that's getting tripped? If it's dam beaks, you could still catch them on channels with 330s
Posted By: mtwood24

Re: Smart beaver - 10/21/20 12:44 PM

It’s a channel run in a creek, right where the run goes under the bank. 330. I’ve got a drowner set at the bottom of a slide as well, however they haven’t used it since we got a foot of snow about 5 days ago
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Smart beaver - 10/21/20 01:08 PM

On eastern shore, Make your own slides and put a foothold beneath bout 4” offset.
Then another but with a blended 330

On western shore do it again but lure them
Posted By: KB64

Re: Smart beaver - 10/21/20 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Blind set-foothold,or snare.No lure.
Shooting may be an option.

Yep, got one that doesn't leave the water in a fish pond. Super spooky. Was sitting in the truck on a powerline watching swim my way. He saw the truck and went under.
Posted By: Ole

Re: Smart beaver - 10/26/20 02:54 AM

Could a fish or muskrat be tripping your 330? I wouldn't think the same beaver at least would come near the same set location again after springing a 330.
Posted By: ScottPhillips

Re: Smart beaver - 10/26/20 12:00 PM

Beaver can be the wisest animal out there once he is educated. do not underestimate them. Snares are a great tool.

Scott
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Smart beaver - 10/27/20 06:19 AM

I like to blind set foothold on educated beaver. Works very well after abated activity on castor mounds
Posted By: Dylan Phelps124

Re: Smart beaver - 10/29/20 07:34 PM

If you have any castor lures, I'd highly suggest putting a little bit on your slide. You can make beavers walk down train tracks with a little castor.

Ole might have a point too.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Smart beaver - 10/30/20 07:47 PM

Buy Red O'Hearn's book Progression of a Beaver Trapper.

Shooting works good sometimes if they shy away from traps. Dress in full camo and sneak up where you can see good. If you don't see it after a while sometimes it works to toss a rock about the size of a softball in the water and then just wait.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Smart beaver - 10/30/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by mtwood24
It’s a channel run in a creek, right where the run goes under the bank. 330. I’ve got a drowner set at the bottom of a slide as well, however they haven’t used it since we got a foot of snow about 5 days ago
Are you sure its not mink or rats as they often hug undercut banks and are noted for often springing 330 traps without getting caught. A 280 trap will solve the problem if that's the case.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums