Home

Pellet gun for coon

Posted By: Artrapper16

Pellet gun for coon - 10/23/20 08:02 PM

Could I use a 22 caliber pellet gun for trapped coon along the road. Also how fast should it shoot thank you
Posted By: Sfranks

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/23/20 09:07 PM

Legally speaking not sure but a .22 pellet gun will do the job a.117 will to 700fps or better is going to be your best bet for doing it clean 1000 plus for the 117. 22 short out of a pistol chugs along at like 800 fps that's what I always use if you put it where it needs to go itl work

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/23/20 09:09 PM

Well I've seen sam woods video where he does and I've never had much luck with my 177. Pellet gun and it should be shooting about 1000 fps. I'd use 22 shorts but you can't discharge a firearm within so close to the road. Was just thinking that it would be my answer to a problem

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/23/20 09:19 PM

You'll definitely get more energy with .22 cal mine dos decent on em if you do alot of road trapping you might want to look at pyramid air and some .25s
Posted By: Boco

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/23/20 11:46 PM

Cant use a bang stick?
Posted By: StatelineRunner

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/24/20 01:52 AM

Fisher dispatch pole
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/24/20 02:01 AM

[Linked Image]

For those on a budget. Some mighty S hooks cut in half and a quick link welded to the clamp rod and some cable. Does the trick. Buy a good clamp though so it doesnt relax.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/24/20 02:52 AM

Just use a set 160 on a pole.

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/24/20 03:53 AM

Iv thought about conibear on a pole but never needed to try it you could probably weld it on a length of rebar
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/24/20 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Sfranks
Iv thought about conibear on a pole but never needed to try it you could probably weld it on a length of rebar

or screw an MB bracket to a pc of axe handle or painter pole
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/24/20 04:02 AM

[Linked Image]

I use my benjamin maximus (bottom gun) all the time. I chronoed it at like 805 fps avwrage with most pellets. One in the dome and their out like a light, i will say hiw ever id drop a extra $50 on a TKO *muzzle brake* it's a night and say difference if you ask me as far as sound.
If you don't wanna go the PCP route because of price (I ended up dropping 500 for mine as a kit ) theirs plenty of folks who use the gamo big cat or silent cat break barrels for dispatch. I think I remember seeing LT use one for dispatching coyotes on here a while back.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/24/20 12:22 PM

I can't tell you how many times I've shot a coon with a 22 and It just shook It's head and gave you the stink eye.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/24/20 01:16 PM

When you do shoot and animal in a trap , you shoot them in one ear and out the other ear, you will get no damaged fur and it takes only one shot.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/24/20 04:14 PM

And you will have blood every where with that shot. And the head area has no fur value anyway.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/24/20 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Artrapper16
Could I use a 22 caliber pellet gun for trapped coon along the road. Also how fast should it shoot thank you

Yes, it works. I use a Benjamin Trail 22 cal., with built in suppressor. Look it up on Midway's site.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/24/20 10:42 PM

Sam Wood started out his videos with a .22 Benjamin Marauder (pistol). When I watched those videos, I thought, wow, I have to get one of those. But, by the time I tallied the marauder price, gas cylinder and all, I was looking at >$400. Later Sam Wood videos showed him using a pellet rifle. As I recall, it might have been a Gamo. Fleet Farm had them for less than $200. He must have decided rifles were more accurate for longer shots and were more affordable.

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/25/20 01:09 AM

Thank you for all the advice I'd gladly take more if anyone has anything more to add.

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/25/20 03:16 AM

My crossman shockwave np has a baffle on it makes it pretty quiet 22cal shoots lead pellets at 800fps with shipping it was right around 150 bucks kills pretty good use heavy pellets dome and hollow point hit pretty hard .up close for dispatch should do just fine it's stark black so if your trying to hide what your up to it could catch some attention.if your looking at air guns and there velocity make sure the posted velocity is with lead pellets the alloy ones zip but don't have the mass/weight to kill in my opinion

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/25/20 04:42 AM

I'm using 22 CB Short Hollow Points, at 710 FPS with only 29grains of power in them. They go in one side and not out the other, with little or no blood at all.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/25/20 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Teacher
Sam Wood started out his videos with a .22 Benjamin Marauder (pistol). When I watched those videos, I thought, wow, I have to get one of those. But, by the time I tallied the marauder price, gas cylinder and all, I was looking at >$400. Later Sam Wood videos showed him using a pellet rifle. As I recall, it might have been a Gamo. Fleet Farm had them for less than $200. He must have decided rifles were more accurate for longer shots and were more affordable.

Those maurarder pistols and any pcp is generally more accurate even at range than a NP or Spring piston for various reasons.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/25/20 04:04 PM

Go with a shrouded PCP, a quiet airgun is more versatile and the heavy hitters can be much louder than what you'd think. Initial price is worth the accuracy, ease of use and multiple (quick) shots. I have a .22 and a .25, the .25 is a much better dispatch gun. You will get some ricochets off the dome with a 22 and those lighter pellets. When it comes to airguns, pellet weight is more important than velocity for your purposes. A .22 caliber dome pellet will be about 18 grains +/- while a .25 caliber dome pellet will generally run 28-35 grains. Heavy dome pellets are the way to go. Hollow points and others have their uses for lighter game.

My .25 slings 35 grain pellets around 700 fps. It is very effective and with head shots it'll easily drop a raccoon on the other side of the backyard or out of a tree. Put a scope on it with adjustable objective to focus in for those close shots and zero to hit dead on at 7 yards.

Pyramidair.com is a great resource for guns, pumps and pellets.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/25/20 04:06 PM

Thank you for all the advice I'd gladly take more if anyone has anything more to add.

Get one that says it shoots 1000 fps in .22 not .177, then buy good pointed heavy pellets for it and then make sure your shots hit flat and not at an angle on the skull. Beeman silver arrow pellets are good. Don't buy anything lighter in weight and the point is very important too. The pellets are more important than the rifle IMO. Your Arkansas coons are going to be easier to kill than say where beav is in Wi. A 30+lb coon is one in 25-50 where he lives and unheard of in Arkansas.

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/25/20 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by wildflights
Go with a shrouded PCP, a quiet airgun is more versatile and the heavy hitters can be much louder than what you'd think. Initial price is worth the accuracy, ease of use and multiple (quick) shots. I have a .22 and a .25, the .25 is a much better dispatch gun. You will get some ricochets off the dome with a 22 and those lighter pellets. When it comes to airguns, pellet weight is more important than velocity for your purposes. A .22 caliber dome pellet will be about 18 grains +/- while a .25 caliber dome pellet will generally run 28-35 grains. Heavy dome pellets are the way to go. Hollow points and others have their uses for lighter game.

My .25 slings 35 grain pellets around 700 fps. It is very effective and with head shots it'll easily drop a raccoon on the other side of the backyard or out of a tree. Put a scope on it with adjustable objective to focus in for those close shots and zero to hit dead on at 7 yards.

Pyramidair.com is a great resource for guns, pumps and pellets.

Good advice. I prefer a pointed pellet to domed but domed is better than flat or HP for this application.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/25/20 04:49 PM

What does your laws state? Unfortunately ours states a .22 cal rim fire must be carried and used to dispatch animals.

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/25/20 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
What does your laws state? Unfortunately ours states a .22 cal rim fire must be carried and used to dispatch animals.

Well we are allowed to carry a 22 for dispatch but the way I read it says you can't discharge a firearm within so many feet of the center line

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/25/20 05:55 PM

Ok I just looked at the code book and it does say you can't fire a weapon from the road UNLESS you are dispatching an animal in a trap. So I could shoot my 22 pistol and be legal.

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/25/20 06:08 PM

Ok I just looked at the code book and it does say you can't fire a weapon from the road UNLESS you are dispatching an animal in a trap. So I could shoot my 22 pistol and be legal.

This could of us a lot of typing. laugh
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/26/20 12:47 AM

Since we are here anyway a cb short out of a rifle makes little if any noise just sayin

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/26/20 12:58 AM

Most of my animals are dispatched by just stepping on them, but a few do have to be dispatched with cb short from my 22 pistol.

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/26/20 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Yes it would have but I didn't know about the code book until my dad told me about it
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/26/20 11:56 PM

As I recall, Sam Wood or somebody had to convince a law enforcement type that a pellet gun was not a firearm. It didn’t need a case inside a vehicle, it didn’t fire a powder, and while it looked like a gun, it wasn’t what the officer was familiar with
Posted By: Short Track

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/27/20 04:03 AM

Conibear on a stick is intense. You need to land it just right, and it doesn't always happen.
.17 pellets don't always do the trick. This year, I'm stepping up to a .22 pellet.
Posted By: Miley

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 10/31/20 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Ha! Was gonna join in! Lol
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Pellet gun for coon - 11/01/20 03:40 AM

My son won some .177 pellets that have a plastic sabot, with a (appears like) BB embedded on the tip...they will shoot through a barrel (drum) I wouldn't hesitate to use those, but haven't experimented yet, best of luck!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums