Home

Badger--how far east

Posted By: Mr. Ed

Badger--how far east - 10/28/20 05:02 AM

Was looking at the picture thread and seen a picture of a Badger taken in Michigan. Anybody ever heard or seen Badgers in Ohio or Western Pa. ? Was wondering why they have not wandered into NYS.
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/28/20 10:06 AM

I've seen literature that mentions their range extends into Western NY State. I've never heard of a sighting in the 50 years I've lived here.
Posted By: Ave

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/28/20 11:52 AM

I’ve been told there’s very few here. Every once in a while one will get hit on the road or something. I’ve never heard of anyone catching one or personally seeing one.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/28/20 01:02 PM

A few pop up in Ohio occasionally, mostly in the western part. Had a possible nuisance job for one about 10 years ago but I think it was a misidentified groundhog.
Posted By: Illinois Boy05

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/28/20 01:55 PM

There was a guy in my county who had one on a trail camera. We live right on the border of Illinois and Kentucky. I figured they weren't around in this state except for 3 hours north of me.

But I figure where there's one, there's more. An animals two main goals are food and reproduction. So surely I have a few more badgers in my county.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/28/20 02:28 PM

I believe there was one caught in Naples NY a few years ago. If I remember correctly it was a kid that caught it and called the DEC to know what to do. I think they did testing on it and gave it back to him undamaged. Hope I’m remembering the story correctly.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/29/20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Illinois Boy05
There was a guy in my county who had one on a trail camera. We live right on the border of Illinois and Kentucky. I figured they weren't around in this state except for 3 hours north of me.

But I figure where there's one, there's more. An animals two main goals are food and reproduction. So surely I have a few more badgers in my county.

The badger also requires ground he can dig in. There are a few east of I-35 and none west of it in the Hill Country where almost nothing (the badger or its prey) could dig burrows or ground dens
Posted By: Bob

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/29/20 03:24 PM

Be glad you don’t have them lol. They’re really good at completely destroying your canine sets. Plus they’re a bugger to skin and flesh and almost worthless except for in late, late winter. I hate em, unfortunately we have lots of them.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/29/20 05:18 PM

I caught one today and released It. WI badgers are pretty bad when It comes to fur quality. I don't understand why we what a season on them.
A badger may ruin the original set but It sure makes It a better set when It's remade. No coyote will pass up a badger blow out.
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/29/20 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I caught one today and released It. WI badgers are pretty bad when It comes to fur quality. I don't understand why we what a season on them.
A badger may ruin the original set but It sure makes It a better set when It's remade. No coyote will pass up a badger blow out.

I've had some success in in NY catching coyotes with badger gland lure.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/29/20 08:26 PM

Same here beav. Took 7 yotes at a badger remake. You could see that badger catch circle from the moon. Every time I find badger sign here I also find yote sign. The badger I caught was pretty poor quality as well.

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/30/20 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Originally Posted by Illinois Boy05

The badger also requires ground he can dig in. There are a few east of I-35 and none west of it in the Hill Country where almost nothing (the badger or its prey) could dig burrows or ground dens

That would mean that the Northeast should have them due to the fact that we have many groundhogs that can did anywhere around. And a badger can dig a lot better. Seems though that little by little if not killed by predators that Badgers should beable to survive in the NE.

Re: Badger--how far east - 10/30/20 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Archeryguy

I've had some success in in NY catching coyotes with badger gland lure.

O'Gorman calls badger gland---coyote trick scent. I have some.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Badger--how far east - 11/01/20 03:55 AM

I get quite a bit of sifted dirt from them. I've been told that there are 2 types as far as fur goes, but wonder if it has to do with the "primeness" any info much appreciated, as we seem to have quite a few in my neck of the woods.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Badger--how far east - 11/01/20 08:42 AM

My wifes grandfather found one hit by a car near Vincennes Indiana. He called DNR they came ant took it. He was hoping to keep it and get it mounted. I have never seen one
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Badger--how far east - 11/01/20 01:04 PM

There are what you call HAIR badgers and FUR badgers. And It has nothing to do with primness. You take a ND badger caught In Nov and you take a WI badger caught In Nov and there Is a world of difference. WI badgers are just plain Ugly.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Badger--how far east - 11/01/20 02:19 PM

Semi heavy badger sure makes a good helmet, laugh [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Trouble up loading the mountain man helmet

Re: Badger--how far east - 11/01/20 02:25 PM

[Linked Image]
Ok got it
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Badger--how far east - 11/01/20 02:43 PM

I was fishing in a cove when I was a kid and had one stick his head out of a hole on the bank of the reservoir and lay there and watch me. Only one I have ever seen here. They are protected here in Indiana.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Badger--how far east - 11/01/20 08:43 PM

Good lookin brain bucket.
Posted By: Hunter23

Re: Badger--how far east - 11/01/20 10:26 PM

I caught 2 last year. Logansport Indiana.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Badger--how far east - 11/01/20 10:38 PM

No badger here, but still have plenty of woodchucks. Would love to see them here myself but lots of the landowners/farmers in general would not like them
Posted By: awesome 'possum

Re: Badger--how far east - 11/02/20 02:47 AM

I remember reading that bathers used to be found (rarely) in southwest PA, but have not been found in PA for a long long time.

Re: Badger--how far east - 11/02/20 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Good lookin brain bucket.

Thanks
© 2024 Trapperman Forums