Home

Beaver go up slides?

Posted By: Nodak63

Beaver go up slides? - 11/11/20 02:58 AM

Might be a dumb question? Do beaver generally climb up the bank and then only use slides as they go down or do they use them up and down?
Also, trying to eliminate a problem beaver and think I found it’s bank den. Bank den entrances generally above water or below the water line for entrance? I assume that’s not very safe for beaver in areas that generally freeze solid if they’re stuck above the ice with an open entrance.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Beaver go up slides? - 11/11/20 03:54 AM

1. Beavers go up and down those runs.
2. I’d stay away from the house. Look for paths/runs instead of setting the house
3. Find an experienced trapper in your area and get some pointers on taking them
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Beaver go up slides? - 11/11/20 12:55 PM

They are fantastic climbers and will generally go where they want. Setting slides are a good bet...set up and wait for a couple of days. If no catch...try dribbling a bit of sac oil on the slide.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: Beaver go up slides? - 11/11/20 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
They are fantastic climbers and will generally go where they want. Setting slides are a good bet...set up and wait for a couple of days. If no catch...try dribbling a bit of sac oil on the slide.

This is the approach I just completed. Set a couple snares on a beaver/mountain goat looking trail and waited. I was impressed by their climbing ability. That trail was near vertical. After 2nd check, I added a a shined up twig with some of slims mud pie frosting and had a big fat beaver on check 3.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Beaver go up slides? - 11/12/20 04:32 PM

1st. There’s NO dumb questions in life. You are seeking education! Which is a smart thing.

2nd. They Go both ways on a slide. So ,,many of us blind set a large foothold, offset 3 to 4 inches,, bout a Ft from shore or drop off , then hang snares along the trail every few feet.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Beaver go up slides? - 11/12/20 04:34 PM

A blind set where they exit the water is also deadly!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums