Home

Go to gun for trapping

Posted By: KEEBLER

Go to gun for trapping - 11/17/20 10:28 PM

What is y’all’s go to gun for trapping looking to add to the collection what kinda optics if any do y’all use I’m leaning towards a 22mag
Posted By: Outdoors Guy

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/17/20 10:31 PM

i use a bare bones 22 rifle bolt action doesnt even have sights on it, figure no matter what happens to it i wont be losing sleep over it haha
Posted By: Sfranks

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/17/20 11:10 PM

Iver johnson super shot sealed 8 and 22 shorts if I had to pick o good long gun for trapping I'd go with a old savage 24 out 22 over 410
Posted By: trappinia

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/17/20 11:22 PM

I use a ruger 10-22
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/17/20 11:42 PM

For dispatching I use a Gamo pellet gun 1250 fps,I also carry a 22 pistol and a 204 most of the time.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 12:58 AM

I am like Rick. I also use a Gamo for dispatch and 22 revolver back in the brush.

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 01:01 AM

I’ve got a 22over 410 savage 42 it’s the new they come out with
Posted By: Scooby

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 01:13 AM

I use a Henry lever action .22, it loads shorts really well. It’s heavy to carry on the line, but I like it. Seems like .22 Mag would be a lot of power for smaller animals.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 01:26 AM

Ruger Wrangler and bought CJ a 10/22 to help with the dispatch jobs.
Posted By: Bruiser1

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 01:46 AM

Savage rascal for me. Weighs just 2.5 pounds.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 01:48 AM

ruger single six 5.5 barrel.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 01:51 AM

.22 mag would be expensive and a whole lot more than you need.
I use either a short youth cricket single .22 or I also have a ruger 10/22. I run mostly subsonic powered rounds too.
This is primarily a coyote and coon line with some beaver too.
My ruger came with a red dot scope and I took that off and run with just open iron sights most of my shots are in dark with a flashlight and the scope or other optics are worthless for this. Most shots are all inside of 5 to 10 feet at most, and need open sights to pick up quickly. A good lightly colored bead front sight is helpful. Paper whiteout or white enamel fingernail polish touching up the front blade made it more visible in flashlight better. Just what works for me.
Jim
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 02:07 AM

With my limited experience on the trapline, take my advice with a grain of salt.

I think a scoped rifle may be a bit of a detriment considering the range you would be typically shooting at (maybe just a few feet). For that reason I prefer a pistol when I'm on the trapline. A Browning Buck Mark Plus with the fiber optic front sight is a good choice or an old High Standard Sentinal revolver. I like the Sentinel because it will shoot shorts or CB's but the Buck Mark is way more accurate. Both of these fit , sorta kind-of, in an El Paso Saddelry N Frame tanker holster which keeps my hands free and pants from being drug down.

If I want to carry a rifle, an old Marlin 25MN in 22 mag with a Leupold 2-7 on it is a good choice but I think this year I may try a Savage FVSR 22LR. The Savage has the same optics as the 25MN but is a lot more compact with its 16 inch barrel. The Marlin 795 with Tech Sights is "lights out" accurate with the right kind of ammo.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 02:21 AM

Ruger Bearcat 22
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 02:42 AM

a 1915 Stevens Crackshot Model 26 right now. Not to shoot high velocity .22 out of it, just standard and shorts.

A kids Cricket for several years. Sometimes .22 handgun.

I have found .22 rimfire not enough on beaver. I use a .17 HMR, .38 with really low velocity, or a .32 H&R load I got from Rally Hess.
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 02:47 AM

Ruger 22/45 22Lr with a suppressor. Nice and quiet
Posted By: Boco

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 02:55 AM

Double badger.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 03:15 AM

All my catches that get dispatched with a gun is either with a .22 revolver or a 10/22 open sights. 99% get a .22 short also, if I have a catch that is bouncing around or not caught well I stay back a ways and shoot them with the rifle ( .22 LR ). A .22 mag is overkill and over priced for a dispatch weapon IMO. I also dispatch with lung/heart shots not skull shots and almost always the shorts go all the way through coyotes, coons, badgers or anything I can legally catch here in Nebraska.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 03:17 AM

I carry a heritage rough rider with the .22 lr cylinder. Takes care of everything I need on the line. I want a Ruger single six, I just haven’t been able to justify the cost of one cause my ol rough rider does a good job
Posted By: danvee

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 03:42 AM

Savage 24 v 22mag over 20ga and ruger bearcat
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 04:04 AM

Little Rossi single shot break open blued with synthetic stock. It came with the front and rear hi viz sights and sling swivels. It came with a 3" chambered 410 barrel and a nice little canvas soft case that both barrels and the receiver break down and fits in. I use it to dispatch coyotes, coons, skunk and badgers with 22 short hollow points. Use a choke pole for other critters like bobcat and foxes.
The barrels change pretty quick so you could switch to the 410 if you see some small game for supper!
I don't remember what I paid for it but it sure is handy.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 04:10 AM

Walter P22 pistol and a Glenfield Model 20 .22 rifle with open sites. I use subsonic for the most part but do have an extra mag for the rifle with LR hollow points just in case I need to step it up a bit.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 04:31 AM

Don't use a .22 mag for dispatch.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Kired

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 04:35 AM

Ruger Single Six and I just got a Savage MK II both in .22lr
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 05:17 AM

Heritage rough rider for dispatch. I recently got a .177 pellet gun and can see using that a lot in the future. Happy trapping! ScottW
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 10:57 AM

Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22 revolver. Inexpensive and indestructible.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 12:29 PM

For most of my dirt trapping I carry my Ruger single six. But the savage 22/410 Is always In the truck. Those coyotes In CRs get a load of 6s from the 410.

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 12:31 PM

I’ll be shooting a lot of beaver most in a trap but I want enough if I catch one swimming that’s why I like the magnum I’m not worried a bout the price of ammo as it is more a hobbie to me than to make money I would love to find a Ruger 44mag I think it’s A 11/44 maybe
Posted By: chicken

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 02:55 PM

I use a Ruger bearcat 22 revolver and a Marlin 17hmr bolt.

I prefer my 17hmr. small hole
Posted By: Old coy

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 03:58 PM

For checking traps a ruger mkII or bearcat, in the truck 223 or 204.
Posted By: zallen

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by minklessinpa

x2 * Side note - I stopped using shorts when I discovered that they just made the coons MORE angry
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 04:31 PM

I rarely need a dispatch gun but I use a Taurus double action .22...I call it my trapping gun because it's all it's good for. It is not the most accurate piece and performs best at pointblank range!
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 05:29 PM

I use a Remington model 552 Speedmaster that showed up at my parent's house years ago and nobody knew where it came from. Mine now!
Posted By: mpb475

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 05:37 PM

For dispatch I carry a Colt Single Action Buntline Scout. Loaded with 22 shorts, I never had a problem.

In the truck is a 10/22 with a Weaver K-4, a Ruger 77/22 Hornet with a fixed 4x, or a .243 with a 2-7x. Depending on time of year, conditions and how I'm feeling at the time.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 06:15 PM

I carry a Savage Mark II. Keep it in the truck or sling it over my shoulder when I'm on the wheeler.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by zallen
Originally Posted by minklessinpa

x2 * Side note - I stopped using shorts when I discovered that they just made the coons MORE angry

Yup. I don’t use shorts anymore, too many times they have just bounced off a skull. 22 long rifle hollow point, angled so that it never exits.
Posted By: Fireplug

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/18/20 08:30 PM

Browning Buckmark .22 pistol loaded with Subsonics. If deer season goes well and I get a few in the freezer early, we'll start trapping earlier than usual. Then, I'll bring the Marlin .45-70 or the Ithaca 37 for ducks/geese on my checks as well.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/19/20 12:29 AM

Yup. I don’t use shorts anymore, too many times they have just bounced off a skull. 22 long rifle hollow point, angled so that it never exits.
[/quote]
i got a bunch of remington CEEBEE's. just right!
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/19/20 02:55 AM

Son likes my Winchester mod67a. I like a single six. Other son likes a high standard sentinel.

Attached picture image.png
Attached picture image.png
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/19/20 10:39 PM

Winchester 67 .22
Posted By: ttzt

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/20/20 12:59 AM

H&R Model 650 revolver with shorts for dispatch, a Browning.22 semi-auto for most other trapline jobs, and a 25.06 for just in case.
Posted By: old_newbie

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/20/20 02:36 AM

Heritage Rough Rider with .22 shorts. Never fails
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/20/20 03:33 PM

Ruger SR 22 pistol
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/20/20 08:40 PM

Post maul handle. But use a Ruger GP100 .22lr as a back up. Also a T/C venture 22-250 for targets of opportunity.
Posted By: Coilspring67

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/20/20 08:55 PM

I do also. Works great!
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/20/20 10:16 PM

Browning Buck Mark Camper 22 pistol .Subsonic ammo
Posted By: J.C.

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/21/20 12:17 AM

Old Remington .22 LR. Its worth about $20 but my brother put $500 of custom checkering on it (eye roll)
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/21/20 12:40 AM

I got this model 63 S+W,in 1977 and have carried it ever since,often year round and it almost looks like the day I bought it.It is entirely stainless,internals,screws,everything.I have replaced grips a few times but for the last several years I only carry it in a full coverage,flap,shoulder holster.That keeps the grips in good shape when squeezing through ledges and rough,mountain mahoganies and keeps the muzzle from dragging on the truck seat or elsewhere.Besides the dispatch,it has taken a lot of game over those 42 years.No,it doesn't need to be babied.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My eyes aren't as good as they used to be,so when I am keeping an eye out for bait or food for the pot,these days,I may be unfaithful to the M63 and carry this Kimber,.22 LR.It weighs the same as the Smith,at 25-26 oz,has a match grade barrel,trigger and sights.The sights are also "night sights".The Smith is a good shooter with a great trigger but this has a longer sight radius and is really easy to hit with,even for an old guy.I have the same holster setup and switch the holster back and forth,between the two guns.The revolver is easier to load dispatch rounds in but,honestly,these days,I use a Death Ray,most of the time,still,I always carry a handgun,regardless.It has paid off.

[Linked Image]

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/21/20 01:18 AM

I don't often carry a rifle when on foot checking but sometimes.I like to have it along,though.I used this,original,Armalite AR7,quite a bit.It was manufactured in the late,1960's by Armalite and shoots pretty well compared to the modern versions.I had replaced the plastic,floating stock many many years ago,with wood.Glad I did.They only offered the wood for the 1st two years.With scope,base and sling it only weighs 3lb 12 oz and will shoot less than an inch group at 50 yds.

[Linked Image]

This year,I will probably take this TacSol,.22LR.I have only had it a couple seasons but I have a lot of faith in it.It has a 2x7 scope and will shoot under an inch at 100 yds.Total weight with scope,rings and sling is 4 1/2 lbs.Not too bad to carry.It is Tactical Solution's version of the 10/22.It uses Ruger mags.

[Linked Image]

Another I have used and is a great shooter,is the CZ, Youth Model,.22.I just sometimes need more rounds and speed.Great little gun though and the short stock is great when the heavy clothes are on.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/21/20 02:04 AM

Taxi, I bought my daughter a Tatical Solutions X Ring , sand stone rifle that looks alot like yours. It a real shooter. Good enough to put a Zeiss scope on it! LOL!

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/21/20 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by steeltraps
Taxi, I bought my daughter a Tatical Solutions X Ring , sand stone rifle that looks alot like yours. It a real shooter. Good enough to put a Zeiss scope on it! LOL!

Nice.She's gotta love that.

Thanks,Badger Man97.I have had a lot of fun with them.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/21/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hoosier71
Ruger SR 22 pistol

This is what I use. But now that I got my DEATHRAY, the SR22 stays in the truck.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/24/20 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by old_newbie

You using regular 22 shorts, or the subsonic 22 shorts?
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/25/20 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Originally Posted by old_newbie

I think all shorts are subsonic.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/25/20 03:23 PM

I either use a Heritage Rough Rider 22lr or a single shot 22lr rifle
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/25/20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by JTfromWV
Originally Posted by sneaky

Actually they are not. These are the ones I use...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/25/20 05:55 PM

I'm covetous of that wood stocked AR7 that Taxi posted. But OH MY that scope...what is that? smile I have an AR7 and have always thought a skeleton wire buttstock or a wood stock would improve the little rifle. After seeing that pic with the hares, I don't think I'd be happy with wire now.

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/25/20 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by wildflights
I'm covetous of that wood stocked AR7 that Taxi posted. But OH MY that scope...what is that? smile I have an AR7 and have always thought a skeleton wire buttstock or a wood stock would improve the little rifle. After seeing that pic with the hares, I don't think I'd be happy with wire now.

That scope is a neat little 4X Bushnell,vintage around 1971.It has an integral rail on the bottom.At that time,Thompson Center made a little base/mount that fit that rail.I believe that mount was designed to fit a handgun scope made by Bushnell.I am sure that type scope and mount haven't been made for many,many years.A gunsmith friend back then,recommended. the setup and installed it.The matt finished,little scope really looks like it belongs on that gun.If my memory is correct,it only weighs 4 oz.So far it is still clear and functioning.
Posted By: JTfromWV

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/26/20 01:25 AM

[/quote]

Actually they are not. These are the ones I use...

[Linked Image]

[/quote]

The speed of sound is roughly 1150 fps. That would make yours subsonic also.
Posted By: Sfranks

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/27/20 04:49 AM

It's just barely above sonic by about 50 fps.i love the cci hollow point shorts I hunt squirrel and rabbit with them as well as fur animals in a trap.i use 22 mag for hunting fur
Posted By: DucksandDogs

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/27/20 08:14 AM

Ruger MKIV 22/45 Tactical w/ a red dot and a rail mounted light. Most of my checks are in the dark and this new little toy should make it easy to see both the critter and the red dot.
Posted By: Bosco

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/29/20 03:02 PM

SR .22 here, I used .22 segmented subsonics but havent seen any lately, They would not exit anyting at point blank range.
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 11/29/20 04:43 PM

Anybody using a single shot Crickett or a Savage Rascal? Light, relatively cheap and will shoot 22 shorts.
Posted By: TomInVT

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 12/03/20 02:46 AM

Single six with the long rifle cylinder. 5.5”
Posted By: Gray Breard

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 12/04/20 01:03 PM

Chiappa little Badger with 600fps CB caps.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 12/04/20 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by HayDay
Anybody using a single shot Crickett or a Savage Rascal? Light, relatively cheap and will shoot 22 shorts.

that's what I do
Posted By: MadTrapper375

Re: Go to gun for trapping - 12/06/20 01:08 AM

Ruger LCR 22LR. or a Ruger 10/22 take down.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums