Home

Value of gang setting

Posted By: plainstrapping25

Value of gang setting - 11/19/20 06:06 AM

I've been doing somethings different already this season and it's working very well. I've been picking up doubles on coon, beaver, coyote, and muskrat. I see now why they say If good enough for one set it's good enough for 2. I like to make them different sets if I can. Does that really make a difference?
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/19/20 06:10 AM

I have been doing it for years now. When I'm road trapping for coyotes I put a trap set off all 4 corners of my truck, two on each side of the road, all different sets with different baits and lures too.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/19/20 10:30 AM

If legal set a snare or two on the left and right sides of the sets or up and down the trail to pickup the curious coyotes that come in to check on those caught .
Allan
Posted By: Hern

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/19/20 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mousey Trapper
I have been doing it for years now. When I'm road trapping for coyotes I put a trap set off all 4 corners of my truck, two on each side of the road, all different sets with different baits and lures too.

x2 but usually 2 dirtholes, 2 flat sets
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/19/20 11:24 AM

most folks do it so when a non-target gets in 1 there is still 1 OR TWO, traps still working.

I often set 3 at a good location.

its the ONLY way to get doubles and triples.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/19/20 03:32 PM

I started out for several years making 3 sets at a location. Never caught a triple so went to two sets each location. Figure that third trap had a much higher chance of connecting somewhere else. Dead piles and carcasses being an exception. But all areas are different.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/19/20 03:57 PM

I will set up to 5 if I think It’s a high traffic area. I catch doubles fairly often, but that’s not the reason I do it. If a coyote comes through and ignores the first set I want more chances at him. If I catch a fox I want other traps to get the coyote before he gets the fox, and the second coyote too. There are lots of reasons to gang set and I have enough traps that if I only set one or two per location I could never check them all in a day anyways. Probably not even two days. I have the equipment so why not
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/19/20 04:13 PM

Each set needs to have a reason independent on the other sets. You cant just make a good set then flop another one down randomly because you have another set a few feet away.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/19/20 05:25 PM

absolutely. sometimes animals travel together or the location forces multiple animals to do there thing there. sometimes an animal may only be interested a certain smell at a certain time. always use different sets & lure/bait odors at gang sets. then there's the ever present opossum & skunk or non-target critters. want an extra set or two working if other critters come by first.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/19/20 11:50 PM

Works great,means your fur pockets keep producing on extended checks,and you wont miss animals.
Also a lot of animals travel in family groups like beaver,otter, lynx, and wolves.
Also many different species will pass the same funnel spots.For instance I had a dam break set with 5 traps side by side and when I checked 4 days later I had 3 beaver an otter and a rat.
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/20/20 01:03 AM

I only set one or two traps in the past and last season decided to try gang setting. Mainly because my 4 year old was trapping with me full time so hiking to a bunch of different areas would be too tough. Ended up having my best season ever. Now I have a 2 set min and most places with 4-5. I realized that sometimes a cat might travel a different route than I think they will go, or maybe miss a fox it one set and then have it get caught in another. Or have a coyote not like the smells at one but like the smells at another. Then we have the trap plugs. Grey fox love cat sets so I might have a really good cat toilet were in the past my two sets (max amount I used to set) would have fox in them meaning there was nothing to have a cat get caught in. I’ve had many instances were there’s a fox killed by a cat in a set. Then we have the jackrabbits that also like to run the same trails I have cat sets in. What I realized is it doesn’t hurt a location to gang set it.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/22/20 03:28 PM

Gang setting is great. Pile up the fur. Sets keep producing.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Value of gang setting - 11/27/20 01:08 AM

Two ? I set as many as six or more and if it's snares we're talking about...then it's fifteen to twenty five.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums