Home

Snares in Deer Country

Posted By: trapper124

Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 01:21 AM

Any tips using snares or CRs in areas with a lot of deer?
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 01:32 AM

If in brush place a duck und stick across trail, not 100% but will reduce your knock down and deer catches. Sometimes will make young deer duck into your snares also though. Wide open game trails are normally deer trails, coyotes will also use more discrete trails that deer do not frequent as often. Look at tracks, see whos using what and where.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 02:00 AM

As much as people seem to hate'm, I use BAD's or Break Away Devices on all my snares. Of course as of this year MN has made them mandatory on all snares. Regardless I would make sure you carry a catch pole with you.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 02:18 AM

Jump sticks even with the tops of snares.
As taught in most snaring books
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 03:38 AM

If its going to bother you to catch a deer in a snare you best not set any for coyotes. Sticks over the snares many help a little but not a lot.
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 03:49 AM

I've had that problem too. Instead went to footholds. Can't take that chance of catching one and it ends up dead. Land owners wouldn't be happy.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 11:20 AM

If you have to set snares in a area where deer are common I strongly would not recommend using a " jump stick " unless you want to start getting kicked off the property because you're catching and killing deer because of it.

Don't rely on a BAD 100% of the time either common sense works well if it's used to avoid non target catches .
A big bait station a dead cow or horse that hasn't been injected with antibiotics in a brushy coulee or area and wait for the coyotes to discover it will will show you better spots to set snares but deer like coyotes are a creature of habit if they walk down a trail once it will happen again so don't set a snare there it will keep you from a visit with the game warden and will help improve your relationship with the land owner and positive word of mouth will open doors for more and other places to trap and snare on .
If you want to remove the lock off of a snare then form a loop the size you plan to use but wrap scotch tape around it so a loops formed and hang it under a " jump stick " then brush out the tracks in the dirt chances are a deer will beat a coyote to it over 75% of the time and will tear the single wrap of tape .
It's the same thing at a fence crawl under if there's deer hair caught in a barb on the fence or laying on the ground don't set the snare there !

We as consumptive users of the natural renewable resources are under the microscope enough as it is so why give anyone a excuse to say or think badly of what we all enjoy and love because of a bad choice .

Anyone who will tell you differently isn't worth listening to because it's not them that will get the ticket it will be you !
There isn't a coyote anywhere worth the risk of a non target catch.
Allan
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 02:08 PM

I had a live deer In a snare last year I knocked It down and pinned it and took the snare off and It ran away. It was a fawn so It wasn't all that hard I don't know abut an adult deer.

And In my opinion jump sticks don't work for the most part. And large carcass dumps seem to attract as many deer as they do coyotes.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 04:07 PM

In "NEWT'S WORLD"

Jump sticks will put more deer in your snares
Posted By: Short Track

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 04:12 PM

You find them alive, or strangled out ?

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 06:04 PM

When you catch a deer by the neck. dead
Posted By: Short Track

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 06:54 PM

Even deer with a big rack ??? I can't imagine a big 8 getting into a 12" loop.

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 08:20 PM

No rack deer are alive most if the time. But they will stress out and die
Posted By: Dean Chapel

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/23/20 11:57 PM

Never have caught a mule deer by the neck in a snare. Whitetails tend to duck under and into snares. I have let a few whitetails that were snared around the neck loose, mostly fawns and yearlings. They are docile and easy to release. Mule deer on the other hand will come at you like a monkey on a rope. You'll know you are in for a battle when their eyes get all bulgey. Then the hair will go up on their back, then here they come. When they hit the end of that snare coming for you, they'll almost always pop the BAD. There was a guy on here last year that said he would not catch any deer when he put a jump stick over his snare. I asked for a picture and he said he'll post one this year when he sets a snare. Could be revolutionary!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/24/20 01:26 AM

I've heard of people using deer successfully as bait stations for coyotes. You know, road kills and scraps from butchering deer, etc...
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/24/20 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Newt
In "NEWT'S WORLD"

Jump sticks will put more deer in your snares

Jump sticks?

They should call them dive sticks.

Because that’s what a LOT of yearlings and fawns will do.

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/24/20 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Short Track
Even deer with a big rack ??? I can't imagine a big 8 getting into a 12" loop.

They don’t need to get the whole rack in, just a tine or two.

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/24/20 03:39 AM

There’s a really simple answer to this common question.

If there’s a lot of deer travel on the trail you want to hang cable, you are GOING to have deer issues with that device. Period.

They’ll knock it down, get caught in it, etc etc.

Find another place to kill that coyote.
Posted By: saskbone

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/24/20 04:26 AM

Was going to write a long post but after reading this thread Some really wise snaremen have gave you your answer

Set on a deer trail with a jump stick..........you are going to get a deer period

Lots of coyotes using the deer trail.........backtrack them you will find where they are coming on the trail with no deer tracks

Would i set there........NO but that being said you have to decide for yourself

Snare a deer around the neck with a breakaway usually = dead deer

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/24/20 12:24 PM

More in "NEWT'S WORLD"
A 200# deer would rather go under a obstuction in his trail set at 17" .Than go over it.
It takes less engery to go under.

Any BAD that will hold a coyote. Will hold a neck cought deer.

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/24/20 06:10 PM

So here Is a stump-er. Last year I caught a nubbin buck In CR. The CR was hung 12" off the ground and since we have loop size with stop button the loop was 12". That nubbin buck got It's head and both feet through that 12" loop and was caught behind both shoulders. It was dead with no catch circle I'm still trying to figure that one out.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/24/20 07:33 PM

I have not caught any deer in last few years in snares, but I am almost positive you could lay a snare flat on the ground in a deer trail and one would find a way to get tied up in it.

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/24/20 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by BraskaYoter
I have not caught any deer in last few years in snares, but I am almost positive you could lay a snare flat on the ground in a deer trail and one would find a way to get tied up in it.

OH so true
I cought a deer by the snoot in a snare set at 5" loop 5" off the walking survace
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/25/20 12:00 AM

Have asked the same question before and just decided to not hang snares in that area. I would like to get after the coyotes there but know there is no garentees to keep the deer out of cables.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/25/20 12:28 AM

We can’t snare here, but I can’t keep deer out of footholds and I don’t set on their trails.

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/25/20 03:17 AM

And whitetails are ten times worse to work around than mulies.

I swear whitetails will come and screw up a set every night. Mule deer seem to do it once, satisfy their curiosity, than are done with it.

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/25/20 04:51 AM

And that's a fact.

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 11/25/20 11:49 AM

When trapping out of state. (we cant use foot holds in NJ)And I see deer could be a problem.(I dont get Issues)
I set blind trail set with the biggest foot hold thats legal.
Posted By: RedIShedND

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 12/01/20 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Boone Liane
And whitetails are ten times worse to work around than mulies.

I swear whitetails will come and screw up a set every night. Mule deer seem to do it once, satisfy their curiosity, than are done with it.

I have this issue with elk herds on flat ground out here... As for snare sticks / not H seems to help
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 12/01/20 04:30 PM

Well this thread is a bit of a disappointment.
I thought it was going to be about how to snare deer.
Newts snaring for survival book should have a chapter on snaring deer?
I know how to snare moose,but we dont have deer,so never learned that.

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 12/01/20 07:15 PM

Boco, SNARING FOR SURVIVAL
Has two chapters on deer
One for does and one for bucks

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 12/01/20 08:41 PM

Remove the deer stop and hang your loops a bit higher and you will catch more deer. LOL
Most of my knock downs are leg related. The snare Is pulled out and cinched down top that 3 1/2 Inch circle. Remove that deer stop and your going to have all kinds of foot caught deer.

Re: Snares in Deer Country - 12/01/20 09:39 PM

NO Beav,
To catch more deer lower you loops
10 to 12"" loop, 8" 10"off walking surface
If you have a deer stop,Leave the deer stop for neck snaring deer.

Leg snaring NO deer stop
© 2024 Trapperman Forums