Home

Removing Rust from Traps

Posted By: rick54

Removing Rust from Traps - 12/11/20 07:52 PM

For years the old standby to removing rust from traps was to soak them in a mixture of white vinegar and water. I believe I read somewhere where muriatic acid was also used.

Is the above process still the preferred method or has something new come along that I'm unaware of?

Thanks
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/11/20 08:39 PM

White vinegar and water, here too.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/11/20 08:43 PM

Still about the easiest and cheapest way.
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/11/20 08:46 PM

white vinegar and water 50/50 mix here as well then pressure washed off for me.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/12/20 12:04 AM

I use muric acid
Posted By: tjm

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/12/20 01:06 AM

If you remove the rust "dye" won't work, because the tannin reacts with the rust to convert it to a rust free coating. The usual routine that has been posted here is to use vinegar to remove the rust, then to let rust form again; which really never made any sense.
Knock or brush off any scale/loose rust and boil the traps in walnut, sumac, or any other tannin solution and it's done. Drink that vinegar, you'll live longer and feel better, unless it's white vinegar then you can use to clean windows
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/12/20 03:24 AM

I use the 50:50 vinegar:water mix. They’ll come out looking brand new. I then dip them.
Posted By: K9man

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/12/20 04:33 AM

How long do you soak the traps?
Posted By: Gray Breard

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/12/20 10:05 AM

Ditto on the acid. A 3 min. Dip in fresh muratic acid and they come out a clean etched gray. Rinse and hang. They will start rusting almost instantly.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/12/20 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I use the 50:50 vinegar:water mix. They’ll come out looking brand new. I then dip them.

Yep. Like this after 3-5 days.
Then pressure wash.

Attached picture 25CE434B-C7CB-484B-A94C-7735C48CDD79.jpeg
Attached picture 70C0D4B3-CE06-443D-B494-96638F3DCCB1.jpeg
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/12/20 01:15 PM

Vinegar is way cheaper than muriatic round here.
Posted By: wrh1971

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/12/20 07:47 PM

Ever tried using acorns for dye?
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/12/20 08:01 PM

But why? A little rust makes whatever coating you put on adhere better.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/12/20 11:20 PM

That critter could care less if it’s a rusted trap or a clean shiny one. I prefer clean and shiny then dipped in Formula 1 or just clean and shiny and repeat the process next year if needed.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/12/20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gray Breard
Ditto on the acid. A 3 min. Dip in fresh muratic acid and they come out a clean etched gray. Rinse and hang. They will start rusting almost instantly.

Are you using pure or diluted ?
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/13/20 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by PAskinner
But why? A little rust makes whatever coating you put on adhere better.

I agree Unless its thick scaly flaking off rust no need to remove it... but if you are going to, why dilute vinegar in water? It works better straight and its faster. Its like $3 a gallon...
Posted By: Posco

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/14/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Originally Posted by Gray Breard

Are you using pure or diluted ?

Dilute it. I've never measured how many parts of each but more water than acid. Neutralize with baking soda in water or they will continue to rust no matter how well you rinse them.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/14/20 10:08 PM

Are you using pure or diluted ?[/quote]
Dilute it. I've never measured how many parts of each but more water than acid. Neutralize with baking soda in water or they will continue to rust no matter how well you rinse them.[/quote]

X2 I also neutralize with baking soda when I use vinegar just to be safe

I learned the hard way about doing so with muratic acid when you had 7 dozen 11/2s rust down to nothing in just a few days

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/15/20 04:55 AM

Muratic is only $8 gal.

Re: Removing Rust from Traps - 12/15/20 05:06 AM

That's why a 3-4 min dip is enough. No dilution needed. I was told by a metelurgest that NO More than 5 min. The springs may get brittle. I found out the hard way. I let a couple soak for 1/2 hr. Had a #2 mainspring clip my ear a draw blood.
Other that, it works like a champ.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums