Home

Type of tubing for snare wammy

Posted By: Nd native

Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/30/20 05:11 PM

I have been searching the forum without any success to find the type of tubing to use for snare wammy's that will not get super hard and lose flexibility when cold, specifically when it's in the negatives outside. I bought some clear tubing, I believe it was from the plumbing section, that worked well when temps were warm, but not at all when temps are cold.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/30/20 06:05 PM

Rubber gas line hose. Stays flexible at any temp.
Posted By: oppossum1

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/30/20 08:57 PM

I'm using bobby pins this year. So far I like them.

Just a suggestion for another option.
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/30/20 09:40 PM

I just picked up some from an auto parts store. They did not have the size I wanted with 11 ga support. He brought me over to another section and I picked up windshield washer tubing from Prestone. Super flexible and I just used the new snares in below zero weather. Black in color and is more expanding that other stuff I have used, therefore holds more snug. I believe was 5/64th and I used on 1/16 and 5/64 1x19 and it worked easily with 11 gauge.
Posted By: FriarTuck

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/30/20 11:54 PM

Get pure silicone tube. I use 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD. If you go to Amazon, and search for "pure silicone tube 1/8" the picture with a tape measure over the roll is the stuff that I use. It seems very flexible at - 30
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 12:08 AM

I usually use a small black TyRap or two (aka zip tie) to position and hang snares. With a tyrap, I can hang a loop off limbs, dead snags, my snare supports, etc. A bag of a 100 8" Tyraps are cheap, easy to use, and come in handy for all sorts of uses.

Dave
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 01:09 AM

I would like to know too. I use mostly 5/64 and few 3/32 cable. Would the 1/8 work on the 2 sizes?
Posted By: Gray Breard

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 02:54 AM

Just take one to your mom & pop Ace or TruValue hardware. These kind of stores have things you have never thought of. My local Marv's TruValue has over 20 types of tubing. Skip the big-box for stuff like that.

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 03:01 AM

I've used elect tape too. Just keep it in your inside breast pocket if it's cold.
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gray Breard
I've used elect tape too. Just keep it in your inside breast pocket if it's cold.

I tried, but the problem is that it was warm in the store, so once the tubing got done to 15 to 20 degrees it got very hard and I couldn't get the support wire on it anymore because it lost its flexibility.

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 03:59 AM

3/16ths gas line can be bought at any automotive store.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 05:12 AM

No need for a snug fitting wammy, just use a double ferrule as long as it has to ride up over the support wire it works great. [Linked Image]
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
No need for a snug fitting wammy, just use a double ferrule as long as it has to ride up over the support wire it works great. [Linked Image]

9 gauge wire and 5/64 cable or smaller dont work that well. Even when used with 3/32 cable its use is limited.

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 05:31 AM

With a snug whammy you can maneuver that loop In any direction. And I've had deer push a loop out of the way and have that loop swing right back Into position.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 08:26 AM

I use tie wire (14 gauge, I think), and make several loops around a 20d nail, then you have a spring-looking thing (I call them a whammy).
Posted By: Spade

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 10:09 AM

I use oxygen tubing, from a medical supply store, 7 feet costs about a buck. When you get it, it is curled up, just put it in boiling water for 5 minutes, and it will straighten out. Cut it with scissors. Get the soft type.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

9 gauge wire and 5/64 cable or smaller dont work that well. Even when used with 3/32 cable its use is limited.

Originally Posted by The Beav
With a snug whammy you can maneuver that loop In any direction.
I have never needed more than 11 ga wire to support my coyote/wolf snares. Also I have no problem maneuering to any position I want. You just need to learn how to use the double ferrules as an effective whammy.

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 06:25 PM

No BC you need to learn how to use a rubber whammy. LOL
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 12/31/20 08:06 PM

You're never catch me with 11gauge wire. I almost never am in a position where it works in a way that I am confident in. I started with using 11ga wire and down by the minimalist thing . Trees were either too far away and finding a stick that won't break jamming it into solid clay was an exercise in frustration.

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 01/01/21 02:29 AM

11 works for me, but most of my work is in fairly dense hardwoods. Lots of saplings.Always something around for hanging wire. I also removed those stupid snare swivels. Now it is a loop with a standard stake swivel. You can stake them, wire them, drowner etc...

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 01/01/21 02:35 AM

I have a 18" 1/4"ths steel stake that my stabilizer wire attaches too. I can hang a CR any place I want and the wire Is only about 10" long. I'm not sure what gauge It Is but It works. But you have to remember It's not the wire gauge but the stiffness of that gauge.
Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Re: Type of tubing for snare wammy - 01/01/21 06:37 AM

I use 11 ga 99% of the time. All my kill poles have 11 ga on them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums