Home

New MB dogless

Posted By: trapperjdb

New MB dogless - 01/07/21 02:34 AM

I have heard that MB is coming out with a new dogless trap this coming summer. Does anyone have pictures yet of the new trap? Thank you
Posted By: Gray Breard

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 03:53 AM

If they put the Bridger dogless on the MB's, I think they would be pretty close to the ultimate trap. Especially the adj. pan. I'll give Jeff a call and see if might get a pic.
Posted By: Posco

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gray Breard
If they put the Bridger dogless on the MB's, I think they would be pretty close to the ultimate trap. Especially the adj. pan. I'll give Jeff a call and see if might get a pic.

How about 650 levers on a 550? That would e my dream trap.

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 05:12 AM

Who knows, give them a call.

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 05:15 AM

Who knows, give them a call.

Good advice and worth a shot.

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 10:02 AM

Thank you
Posted By: JBR

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 11:28 AM

Would be really cool.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 03:01 PM

There are some pictures floating around on Facebook of the trap. It appears to answer most requests by everyone. 550 Frame there are only two states it if built by current design would not be useable due to restrictions there. Pretty versatile. I ma not one of the folks that has the photo or the trap in testing. I think that would be fun on the testing side. I think a lot of guy swill really like this one. Depending on cost i might even like it lol.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 04:40 PM

Here is a screen shot from FB.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: FriarTuck

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 05:45 PM

I will be in line for those!

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 06:12 PM

Thanks for sharing picture, I am interested in it for sure
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 08:54 PM

Very interesting really like our 550’s, but tried some nobs this year and like the dog less part..... hopefully some will be available this summer
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 09:18 PM

That’s the trap I’ve been wanting them to make for a decade now, hope it’s available and decently priced.

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 09:41 PM

I just talked to Jeff at MTP and he said maybe early to mid summer.
Posted By: kinley31

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 11:28 PM

Looks like a NO BS Extreme JR laminated design, with an extra 3/16" on the inside jaw spread and less beefier frame. Going to have to be priced right to compete with Kendall's.
Posted By: beezmador

Re: New MB dogless - 01/07/21 11:32 PM

Too bad inside won't hit the 5 3/8 inside jaw spread. Seems quite a few areas, especially those with lynx like here, have that jawspread regulation. I'd buy some for sure if it did
Posted By: sneaky

Re: New MB dogless - 01/08/21 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by kinley31
Looks like a NO BS Extreme JR laminated design, with an extra 3/16" on the inside jaw spread and less beefier frame. Going to have to be priced right to compete with Kendall's.

How so? Those are cast jaws, not laminated.
Posted By: kinley31

Re: New MB dogless - 01/08/21 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Originally Posted by kinley31

How so? Those are cast jaws, not laminated.

Cast jaws or laminated traps...if the jaw face is the same width (surface area), I think folks are splitting hairs.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: New MB dogless - 01/08/21 11:43 AM

That is a great looking trap, cant wait to try some out.
Jim
Posted By: TC1

Re: New MB dogless - 01/08/21 02:49 PM

Name a commonly trapped animal that you would want to hold, that the MB trap is not beefy enough for? Never seen nor heard of any deficiencies with any of their products. In my opinion a trap doesn’t have to weigh 4 lbs to get the job done. Only bent frame on an MB was due to a tractor and hay wagon on my line. I surely can’t blame them for my mistake in placement.

Re: New MB dogless - 01/08/21 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by TC1
Name a commonly trapped animal that you would want to hold, that the MB trap is not beefy enough for? Never seen nor heard of any deficiencies with any of their products. In my opinion a trap doesn’t have to weigh 4 lbs to get the job done. Only bent frame on an MB was due to a tractor and hay wagon on my line. I surely can’t blame them for my mistake in placement.

I agree with this to the point of most traps made currently. There is a difference in damage between a lot of brands and styles but there are few new traps that are not made to hold the intended animals well. I see a lot of them come in and out the door. Personal preferences are certainly where the market is at kind of beyond building a trap to hold an animal.

There look to really answer a lot of requests from MB fans wanting more. I think it will come out fairly expensive and it will sell well for MTP because MB guys will snatch them up as a best of both worlds Bridger and MB. Then the Jake guys will still be Jake guys and the Sterling guys will still be sterling guys and then there will be the group ranting about made in USA or assembled in USA. All of that lol. Oh and don't forget the NO BS guys will stay NO BS guys too i presume.
Posted By: Bob

Re: New MB dogless - 01/08/21 04:08 PM

I was really hoping they were gonna come out with a scaled up version of the 550

Re: New MB dogless - 01/08/21 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
I was really hoping they were gonna come out with a scaled up version of the 550

Duke did Lol. Sorry I had to throw that one out there. I really like it and run a lot of them actually.

I think there is a good reason why they never made a big version of the 550. My personal opinion but the 550 fit a great mold for them and they could sell them to almost every state and corner of the continent really. This allowed them to create options for the trap and not limit the sales of those options. It is expensive to market a trap as 2-4 coiled offset and non offset and then rubber jawed. On the other hand Duke makes 650's or 550's one way no options. That does limit where those can be sold and who can use them. I think the alpha as it is being called will fall into the same category as the 550 as versatile so they can continue selling options. That is one thing folks like MB for. They can still get traps the way they want them.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: New MB dogless - 01/08/21 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by TC1

I’ll add to the list...they don’t hold up well with bulldozers either. You’d think for what you pay they would be indestructible.

As far as the new traps, they will be GA legal!! I’ll probably get a dozen to try and if I like them I’ll buy more.
Posted By: sneaky

Re: New MB dogless - 01/08/21 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by TC1

Lots of guys would love to see an actual wolf trap from them and not just a modified beaver trap with a small, for wolves, jaw spread. A true 8.5" or 9" spread that comes up through crusty snow and frozen ground would be well received. Especially at a fair price point.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: New MB dogless - 01/08/21 11:47 PM

I like this a lot.
Posted By: sandhillscoyotes

Re: New MB dogless - 01/09/21 05:52 AM

Oh great there goes my fur check again LOL my wife will be so glad to here of this new trap im sure
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: New MB dogless - 01/09/21 08:34 AM

I join in the complainants about the MB 550 being just not tough enough to get brush hogged and still be ready to reset without even an adjustment.
When will they improve?
In all other ways they are just wonderful!
Posted By: rick olson

Re: New MB dogless - 01/09/21 01:41 PM

They will be worth the wait,Caven's won't release anything till it too their high standards.I don't need any more footholds,but i'm sure I will get at least 1 dozen to try out.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: New MB dogless - 01/09/21 01:53 PM

I'll have to get some for sure!

Re: New MB dogless - 01/09/21 04:47 PM

I've never trapped a wolf but I did catch a very large black bear in a 550. Is a hundred pound wolf going to test a trap more than a four hundred pound bear?

Re: New MB dogless - 01/09/21 06:20 PM

I've caught both,nothing that large,but i can tell this the great lake wolves MN,MI AND WI maybe 1 in a 250 will weigh 100 lbs.BC and AK wolves are a bigger the largest weighed in Yellowstone area was 137 lbs most wolves in the great lakes are 70 to 75 for females and males are 75 to 85 lbs.I would say the wolf fights /bites the trap more than a bear,the bear uses it's power to pull out.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: New MB dogless - 01/09/21 07:29 PM

They look some nice.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: New MB dogless - 01/10/21 01:42 AM

I was just trying to standardize on the 550s. Come on. Honestly I think I would like the 550 jaws on a bridger frame if they would sit as low then.

My neighbor ran one of my 550s over driving around my farm looking for his dog. I told him my wife would go becuse she knew where my traps are. He didn't wait. He was in his large side by side utility vehicle.
He found his dog wearing a different 550. wink he seemed irritated but hard to tell in a txt. I tried to call to verify but he didn't answer.

The trap fired and dosen't open as smooth going past where the jaws connect. Still held a coyote just fine.

Re: New MB dogless - 01/10/21 02:46 AM

I've never had a MN Yote shake a stock # 2 Bridger dogless. The MB dogless should be a total success. IMHO, the KO's are overkill unless you are chasing Timber Wolf.
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: New MB dogless - 01/11/21 02:00 AM

I have had 5 MN wolves caught in MB550s. None of them got out. None of the three still there were in any less working order than when set. The two that left with the wolf Did not have the J hook connecting to the earth anchor welded shut. And that was literally the weak link that gave way.

The Bridgers (dog on) do not fair so well. I use these size traps because we have more wolves than coyote. The hope is the are on a jaw when they trigger the trap. It took a 3/4 ton truck to damage the frame so a 550 could not function.

If dogless is your preference I would think they will be ideal.

And Rick Olson it is refreshing to see an accurate description of
Wolf sizes. Nearly everyone folks see is described as “at least
100 lbs”! 82 lbs is the heaviest I have weighed out of those I have skun out (most for the DNR).
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: New MB dogless - 01/11/21 02:27 AM

Those traps hold Great Lakes wolves.
Posted By: Archeryguy

Re: New MB dogless - 01/12/21 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by TC1

They've held 2 different bears in the 75 to 100 lb. range. And they held me be by 4 fingers once.
Posted By: Flipper

Re: New MB dogless - 01/13/21 11:53 AM

Competition is good there would not be a new mn trap except for duke making the 650. The more trap companies there are the more trappers will benefit

Re: New MB dogless - 01/13/21 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Flipper
Competition is good there would not be a new mn trap except for duke making the 650. The more trap companies there are the more trappers will benefit

I agree 100%.

Re: New MB dogless - 01/14/21 01:33 PM

The difference is Caven's test everything and re test before they release anything they build,sorry to burst your bubble Duke lover's but this new trap was being tested long before the Duke 650 was released.I'm sure the Duke 650 is a decent foothold,but it's not close to the quality MB footholds are.If i was a long liner running coon ,mink,yes i would use Duke's 1 1/2 coils,coons double jawed 1 1/2's,coon and mink are not coyotes.

Re: New MB dogless - 01/14/21 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by rick olson
I would say the wolf fights /bites the trap more than a bear,the bear uses it's power to pull out.

The only experience I have with a sizable canine fighting my trap is coyote and the teeth don't hold up well against steel. I'll admit I'm speaking from ignorance because I have no experience trapping wolves but I find it hard to believe a wolf is going to test a trap more than a bear four times its size.
Posted By: schmattz

Re: New MB dogless - 01/14/21 03:02 PM

I sure hope they offer a closed jaw version for those of us that realize that not every catch is a high ankle catch and we want that toe caught coyote or fox waiting for us when we get there. I run 3 lb pan tension and bed solid and trappers are lying to you if they tell you that they have never had a toe catch (Although if they run offsets they might have pulled out). The other issue for me is what the pan is catching on. If they cast the tab onto the jaw then I am in but if they try to weld it on then I am way out. Welding to cast doesn't work. At least not for long.

Schmattz
Posted By: Marathon

Re: New MB dogless - 01/14/21 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by schmattz
I sure hope they offer a closed jaw version for those of us that realize that not every catch is a high ankle catch and we want that toe caught coyote or fox waiting for us when we get there. I run 3 lb pan tension and bed solid and trappers are lying to you if they tell you that they have never had a toe catch (Although if they run offsets they might have pulled out). The other issue for me is what the pan is catching on. If they cast the tab onto the jaw then I am in but if they try to weld it on then I am way out. Welding to cast doesn't work. At least not for long.

Schmattz

When I looked at the picture, it "looks like" there are tabs on both jaws. Just a guess, but I don't think MTP would weld a tab to both jaws. I hope it's cast as well.

Re: New MB dogless - 01/14/21 04:11 PM

Awesome looking trap.
Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: New MB dogless - 01/15/21 06:04 AM

I better save my money. I was going to finally trade out the last of my Bridger 1.65s for MB550s so all my traps are the same. Looks like I’ll have to try out the new MBs.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: New MB dogless - 01/15/21 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by cat_trapper_nv
I better save my money. I was going to finally trade out the last of my Bridger 1.65s for MB550s so all my traps are the same. Looks like I’ll have to try out the new MBs.

Ya I was going to do that with my bridger #2 ,dogless. But this thread keeps popping up. If they are priced the same well I will be to weak to resist.
Posted By: shortliner16

Re: New MB dogless - 01/15/21 03:29 PM

Sounds like production wont start until this fall, which kinda puts a damper unless its very early fall.

Re: New MB dogless - 01/15/21 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by shortliner16
Sounds like production wont start until this fall, which kinda puts a damper unless its very early fall.

Have to get some for the year after.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: New MB dogless - 01/17/21 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by sneaky
Originally Posted by TC1

Lots of guys would love to see an actual wolf trap from them and not just a modified beaver trap with a small, for wolves, jaw spread. A true 8.5" or 9" spread that comes up through crusty snow and frozen ground would be well received. Especially at a fair price point.

+2

Guys, it isn't that the other traps won't hold a wolf if well caught, it is that wolf trapping is a serious waiting game and usually dealing with bad weather/conditions. When it might be weeks before the wolves come back by the trap you want a trap that is hard to freeze down and will come up through the crust or frozen ground without you having to rebed it every couple checks, leaving your scent around and disturbing your set. 750s will hold a wolf fine if they grab him, heck I use 650s for coyotes because I know if a wolf steps in one he'll be there when I get there. But 750s are notorious here for freezing down and just don't have the oomph to come up fast through the crust. Also the big jawspread isn't so much to fit the wolf's paw inside of, it is so when it snows eight inches over your trap and the wolf steps down on the snow compressing it and dropping the pan it still grabs him over the pad, not by a toe or not at all.
Posted By: nightstalker1

Re: New MB dogless - 01/17/21 09:00 PM

the photo is a prototype trap...all jaws had the tab for the pan on prototypes
Production traps wont have that
Testing of prototypes started last season
testing of production trap is going on this season
Jaws are cast with the pan tab

Re: New MB dogless - 01/17/21 11:44 PM

Are there enough wolf trappers to even warrant a special trap?
Posted By: Taximan

Re: New MB dogless - 01/18/21 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter

This is not a wolf trap.It was designed for coyotes.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: New MB dogless - 01/20/21 12:48 AM

I've Been "Testing" the Duke 650 all Season. Caught a Pile in them. No problems. Sorry just had to!
[Linked Image]

Re: New MB dogless - 01/21/21 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Taximan
Originally Posted by Tailhunter

This is not a wolf trap.It was designed for coyotes.

I get that. It was directed at another post.

But thanks for the input.
Posted By: red mt

Re: New MB dogless - 01/21/21 04:00 AM

I like the design a bit more jaw spread for snowy co editions but that's about it. Will see how it treats a foot on extended checks.
Can 't wait to give them a whirl
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: New MB dogless - 01/21/21 03:50 PM

I would have liked to seen a 6 inch inside jaws spread myself

Re: New MB dogless - 01/21/21 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by steeltraps
I would have liked to seen a 6 inch inside jaws spread myself

Me to.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: New MB dogless - 01/21/21 11:32 PM

5.75 is all that’s allowed for GA...these will work.

Re: New MB dogless - 02/17/21 08:34 PM

Any more info on this jewel?
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: New MB dogless - 05/26/21 03:13 PM

The only thing stopping production is the lack of good workers that will show up every day and put 100% percent in to the effort. Anyone want a good job? When its released the Caven's will announce it on their website. Don't call please they ARE BUSY..

Anymore questions ask away, I'll check later, PM would be best.. if ya need pics of catches or questions here's my email address. coyote100100@gmail.com. That way I can block the naysayers... : smile
Posted By: MChewk

Re: New MB dogless - 05/26/21 04:21 PM

Good-post
Tom Stalker what is a pan tab?
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: New MB dogless - 05/26/21 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Good-post
Tom Stalker what is a pan tab?

It's the tab molded in to the cast jaw for the pan engagement. Same proven system as the bridger dogless but not welded.

Re: New MB dogless - 05/27/21 12:17 AM

I wish they were closer, I’d show up everyday and make traps till my hands couldn’t take it anymore.

Hope this one is a huge success as I’m sure it will be.
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: New MB dogless - 05/27/21 01:59 AM

Are there any pictures? As a guy who owns 8 dozen 550s, I'll admit that I am not thrilled about the temptation of buying more traps. I know some of you guys run way more but I thought with the last dozen--good, I am finally done.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: New MB dogless - 05/27/21 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Blaine County
Are there any pictures? As a guy who owns 8 dozen 550s, I'll admit that I am not thrilled about the temptation of buying more traps. I know some of you guys run way more but I thought with the last dozen--good, I am finally done.

First page of this thread.
It's like a dogless 550 but in a coyote size . grin
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: New MB dogless - 05/27/21 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Blaine County

First page of this thread.
It's like a dogless 550 but in a coyote size . grin

That looks nice. Thank you. Again, I really don't want to buy anymore traps!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums