Home

Otter on bigger creeks and shelf ice?

Posted By: wisconsinteacher

Otter on bigger creeks and shelf ice? - 01/08/21 08:53 PM

I have a faster moving creek that is 15-25 feet wide. There is shelf ice and the otters are walking on the ice. I'm guessing they are in the water at times but there is now way to tell due to it being open water. I walked 1/4 mile of it yesterday and can not find a pinch point for a 330 in the water or a place there they are going in and out that I can set. I did find a cross over where they are cutting the corner of the creek.

My questions is, how do you set creeks with no pinch points and depths from 4 inches to 4 feet deep with shelf ice?
Posted By: Gray Breard

Re: Otter on bigger creeks and shelf ice? - 01/08/21 10:07 PM

Are they running the bank at any points? If so,a handful of snares might be a better option. Never been a fan of the larger Coni's too bulky. PIA to set. I got nailed by one about 30 yrs ago and had to drive A few miles to a buddy's place to help get it off.
Posted By: wisconsinteacher

Re: Otter on bigger creeks and shelf ice? - 01/08/21 11:34 PM

Snares or traps bigger than 160 are not allowed on land sets unless set back in buckets.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Otter on bigger creeks and shelf ice? - 01/09/21 12:28 AM

Try a bottom edge set. Caught my first 2 otter in those.
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Otter on bigger creeks and shelf ice? - 01/09/21 10:40 AM

If there is a creek junction nearby you can get them there. I’d also check for slots around fallen trees in the water.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Otter on bigger creeks and shelf ice? - 01/09/21 12:36 PM

I'm not an otter trapper, but how about a 220 in the water at a likely spot with a rubber swim bait minnow on the trigger?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums