Home

ANCHOR recommendation

Posted By: bigfoottrapper

ANCHOR recommendation - 01/08/21 10:03 PM

what does everyone like? these will be for raccoons. I have been using conibears so I have been just using just cables attached to a tree, but now I have DPs on order.

thanks
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/08/21 10:42 PM

Heavy duty Berkshire here.
Posted By: Gray Breard

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/08/21 11:02 PM

Super stake with chain. Not a fan of cable anchors. Too hard to recover. ($$$).
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/08/21 11:23 PM

wolf fang with cable, brake rotor with chain to DP, 18'' stake, cable drowner, ect.

I have 2' of cable on my wolf fangs for coon. They are permanently attached to the end of the trap chain. I old put them in the soil enough to hold a coon. I never pound them all the way in. Some soils you only need 8 inches, some loos mud you cannot anchor in so the brake rotors get used. Use whatever works for you.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/09/21 01:31 AM

5 or 6 foot 3/32" cables on DPs....half hitch to wrist-size or larger tree.

If no trees...stake the DPs with 1/2" x 20" rebar....make sure coon has nothing to pull upward on.
Posted By: Nd native

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/09/21 02:03 AM

Wolf fangs for me here. They drive easily through solid ground and have enough surface area for the soft ground.

As mentioned, coon pull sideways and dont pump a stake like a coyote.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/09/21 02:45 AM

12” Super Stakes...and I only pound them in about 8” or so. That’s if there’s no trees around. If trees are around I just use cable with a loop on each end. Pass one in through the swivel on the DP and loop it then take the other loop around the tree and pass the DP through it.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/09/21 03:42 AM

I make ALL of my stakes out if 1/2" rebar, 24" long. Weld a 5/8" washer about 3/8" down from the top...on a dp just use one, pound it down till it will leave some swivel room, and you're good to go. I also use extension cables, but for a start, just stake.
Posted By: bigfoottrapper

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/09/21 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
wolf fang with cable, brake rotor with chain to DP, 18'' stake, cable drowner, ect.

I have 2' of cable on my wolf fangs for coon. They are permanently attached to the end of the trap chain. I old put them in the soil enough to hold a coon. I never pound them all the way in. Some soils you only need 8 inches, some loos mud you cannot anchor in so the brake rotors get used. Use whatever works for you.

do you mean like a auto brake rotor?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/09/21 03:58 PM

Wolf fangs and cable. I also put an extra swivel on my DP's.
Posted By: Newt

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/09/21 04:58 PM

I cross stake with 2-3/8"x18"

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/10/21 03:45 AM

IMHO, I don't like wasting $$ on stuff that I have to leave in the ground. Fur prices are bad enough. It's all chains. Never had time for those cable anchors. Super stakes are my choice.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/10/21 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Gray Breard
IMHO, I don't like wasting $$ on stuff that I have to leave in the ground.

All retrieve easy if ya just loosen the soil at least 1/2 way down with a stake wiggled around on 3 sides.

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/10/21 07:21 AM

traprjohn, I beg to differ. Your theory may work in NC but I'll buy you a keg of beer if you could do that up here in central MN. Sugar sand/clay mix. Pure concrete. I have a lot of sets I'll never be able to pull till the spring thaw.
Posted By: TNcat

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/11/21 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Heavy duty Berkshire here.

X2
Posted By: TNcat

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/11/21 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gray Breard
traprjohn, I beg to differ. Your theory may work in NC but I'll buy you a keg of beer if you could do that up here in central MN. Sugar sand/clay mix. Pure concrete. I have a lot of sets I'll never be able to pull till the spring thaw.

You say you can pull super stakes ? Hmmm

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/11/21 07:03 PM

My ATV winch will usually do it. I just tighten it up and put it in reverse. If that doesn't work, then I use a 3' chain with binder hooks on my truck front tow hook. One way or the other it will come out provided you can do it before 2 or 3 feet of frost sets in.
Posted By: k snow

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/11/21 07:36 PM

Rebar for me. All my DP's are set up with twin stake option, depending on the soil.
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/11/21 10:53 PM

In the rocky ground I frequent, super stakes have worked well. I drive them in as far as I can, usually only about 12-14 inches. I have a 2-3 dozen wolf fangs but I don't think I could drive them deep enough. I need to try cabling to a tree.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/12/21 04:44 PM

I put a butterfly double stake end on my DPs and use two 3/8 inch by 18 inch rebar stakes as a lot of my coon area is softer soil and the double stakes work best and the 3/8 inch ones are light. I weld a nut on the end and use a vice grips to grab, turn and pull.

Bryce
Posted By: k snow

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/12/21 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
I put a butterfly double stake end on my DPs and use two 3/8 inch by 18 inch rebar stakes as a lot of my coon area is softer soil and the double stakes work best and the 3/8 inch ones are light. I weld a nut on the end and use a vice grips to grab, turn and pull.

Bryce

Same setup here Bryce. Quick and simple.
Posted By: trapperdan93

Re: ANCHOR recommendation - 01/12/21 06:15 PM

Pogo's have always worked well for me.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums