Home

Dps push pull

Posted By: plainstrapping25

Dps push pull - 01/12/21 02:49 AM

I have known alot of ppl that are not big fans of the push/pull triggers. Other than those triggers not really being "dog proof." What are some other disadvantages? I run pretty much only push/pull and Really like them.
Posted By: Joe dirtee

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 03:16 AM

Mice climbing in will set off a push style trigger. I also feel you get deeper catches with pull only
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by plainstrapping25
I have known alot of ppl that are not big fans of the push/pull triggers. Other than those triggers not really being "dog proof." What are some other disadvantages? I run pretty much only push/pull and Really like them.

That part is already incorrect. The hole size makes them as DP as any thing, but NO tube type DP is completely dog proof.

Originally Posted by Joe dirtee
Mice climbing in will set off a push style trigger. I also feel you get deeper catches with pull only

While this part is slightly possible, it's not likely the trigger gets pushed until there's almost no bait left so the trigger has somewhere to move.

I personally only use pull only DP's as I feel they catch as well as push-pull and they are cheaper. I see no disadvantage to push/pull but choose one style or the other as you'll be sorry when you accidently try to push a marshmallow into a DP with a push/pull trigger because you got mixed up on which one you were using.
Posted By: Yellowstone

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 04:00 AM

I catch more skunks with push pull. To some people maybe a good thing. To me not so much
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 05:35 AM

I've caught mice with a pull only trigger.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rat Masterson

with a golf ball or cup on top?
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 12:39 PM

I catch rats and flying squirrels in a pull quite often when using corn as bait. Some even have golf balls on top...we have some big rats, lol.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 04:13 PM

My only experience with push/pull triggers is they were a PIA to set compared to my pull only

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson

with a golf ball or cup on top?

I'd never use anything on top of the trap again that would in anyway deter a coon from getting into the trap or letting the scent of the bait out. Golf balls in particular are worthless. Mice push them off easy and they funnel rain into the trap. A big marshmallow is a much better choice on the top of the trap if you want something on there to verify at a glance there's bait in the trap. There are better ways to avoid mice too IMO. Try NOT pushing the stabilizer very far in the ground just about 1 1/2" is plenty if the ground is firm at all. Makes it harder for mice to get up in there, also mash down the weeds around the trap and put it in straight up and down, not angled giving the mice a ramp to climb. If they still clean you out move it a few feet, it'll take them a day or two to find it again and give the coon a chance to get there first.
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 08:36 PM

I use white caps on mine. Does not seem to be a issue with detering coons. But I can't say for sure. I do catch skunks in mine. But I don't mind at all. Not that I'm going to switch over. I'm very happy with dps. Over the years have done very well for me.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 10:47 PM

I have no problems using both types. I have never used a marshmallow in one so getting my finger caught because I forgot which one I was using wouldn't be an issue. DP is the only type of trap I haven't had an incident with, but look out now! I had to mention it.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 11:08 PM

Careful with the push/pull DPs in areas with large dogs and bears. They both have long tongues.

Re: Dps push pull - 01/12/21 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Careful with the push/pull DPs in areas with large dogs and bears. They both have long tongues.

They don't trip the traps with their tongue but with their feet on the outside of the tube. Think of a dog holding a bone with his feet to lick the marrow out of the inside of it. A pull only DP is just as susceptible to this and push/pull.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums