Home

Snare barrel swivel question?

Posted By: bobcat_trapper

Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/16/21 03:28 PM

My wife was trying to help me out. She got me a 100 ct 6/0 swivels . There only 340# pd rated. Would they work on my beaver snares? I know I can use them on coons. There too lite for coyotes. I need the better 6/0 580# rated swivels for my coyotes snares?
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/16/21 03:56 PM

The #6 is what I use on my beaver snares, and have had no problems.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/16/21 05:57 PM

F=MA, physics 101. That (any) beaver cannot exert enough (F)orce to test that #6 swivel's breaking strength. If using BAD's on coyote snares to avoid deer/livestock catches use 800lb.minimum swivels with your Device rated tat 285 lb release force (or the state reg.minimum). Any additional functioning shock absorbing gear will allow for a weaker breaking strength swivel to be used w/o reaching the working or breaking strength pondage recommended by the manufacturer............... my take........... the mike
Posted By: Newt

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/16/21 10:12 PM

I sell made in the USA swivels
The 6/0 swivels are rated at 600#
8/0 at 900#

Your must be made in China
I would'nt trust them.
Posted By: Gray Breard

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/17/21 01:28 AM

I just make or buy my snares with a loop on the end. Then I put a MB crush proof stake swivel on. You can pretty much do what you want. Stake it, drowner etc....
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/17/21 02:33 AM

I use (and put on the snares I sell) barrel swivels, that appear ( and I say "appear" ) to be brass.
I've gone to the #800, which is rated at 900 lbs breakaway.
I gotten away from the 600 lb BLACK ones, after I had coyotes crush them in their jaws.
I put them on both coyote and beaver snares. You don't need them on a beaver snare, yet I use them anyway. . .extra insurance.
I hate wire swivels. They're garbage for the most part and even when a customer wants them, I try to talk them out of that decision !
On snares, I use an 'in-line' swivel, for lack of a better term,
Mink snares ? In line swivel too !(although it is smaller, to be sure).
A swivel is only good until the animal wraps up. . .but suppose it doesn't for a while, or not at all. Cheap insurance in my book !
I want the swivel as close to the captured animal as possible, as it is there it will do the most good .
You will too, when experience shows you the best results over time.

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/17/21 06:01 PM

I have been looking on offshore fishing supplies stores. I fount some 600 # pd. But there only 2/0 sounds small for snares. The 2/0 was 100ct for 24.99. Has far as I know they are American made black in color. I thought it was a type o. I have fount them at 2 other stores. I bought some last yr brass 6/0 600 pd. It was all the guy had. We don't have to use a break away. Only a deer stop and 1 piece lock.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/18/21 03:47 AM

Don't trust fishing supplies, different deal!
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/18/21 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
Don't trust fishing supplies, different deal!

You got that right !
whistle

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/19/21 02:09 AM

I fount some Rosco 6/0 black 100ct a good deal on some. The guy had 9/0 also.

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/24/21 03:29 PM

Going to use cheaper barrel swivel for coons maybe beaver.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/29/21 10:21 PM

I’m new to snaring also but got my in-line swivels from Newt. They work slick for dry land beavers and coon. Haven’t set them for coyotes yet.
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/30/21 08:22 AM

I use the biggest barrel swivel Rally Hess sells, 900# I think. Black. The smaller ones offer no advantage to me. The big ones I get
The Sleep EZ or a quick through. 48” snare and it is out of canines primary vision. Support loops through itself around tree and has swivel. Snare just has a loop. Connect the two by a Sleep EZ.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Snare barrel swivel question? - 01/30/21 09:31 AM

The brass looking ones may be coated steel, see if a magnet sticks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums