Home

Sets went dead...

Posted By: Wanna Be

Sets went dead... - 01/22/21 01:21 AM

Tuesday was the 7th day of checks on this property I’m trapping. I had a few catches every day, even had coyotes on cameras set in places I didn’t have traps. Added a few traps throughout the week and haven’t had a catch since day 7. Haven’t even had a tripped trap by deer or anything else. Nothing on cameras either. As far as bigger predators, only 2 coyotes, 1 cat, and 3 fox. Caught 6 coons and 7 possums. The weather hasn’t been the best the past couple of days and not looking decent again until Saturday. Been doing midday checks instead of before daylight and thought it had been helping.
Anyone else have a place just go dead?
Posted By: Kmax8

Re: Sets went dead... - 01/22/21 02:29 AM

Yes. We were catching alot of coons and few Beaver in the swamp by our house. Nothing since last weekend. So far we have caught 3 beavers, 5 coons, one otter and one muskrat.

Re: Sets went dead... - 01/22/21 02:48 AM

Even the landowner isn’t getting anymore pics either. Apparently if I can’t catch them I can run them outa the County. Gonna give it two full weeks before I decide to move traps around or pull all together. It’s bad when you can’t even pick up a possum, lol.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Sets went dead... - 01/22/21 02:59 AM

I’d pull the sets and move em. That’s too long without a catch to waste time on that area.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Sets went dead... - 01/23/21 12:27 AM

If you find tracks though whatever set or attractors you are using isn't working.
Ive turned dirthole sets into post sets by jamming a stick into the hole and applying urine, castor, gland lure, whatever...just something different. Thats an old trick I learned from Carol Black.
Change baits sometimes works too.
Can also throw in blind sets if you think they are still around. Ive got a lot of catches in blind sets where they went right by bait sets only to end up in a snare or blind set foothold just down the same trail.
Just some thoughts.
Jim

Re: Sets went dead... - 01/23/21 01:22 AM

Thanks Jim, going to try something different this weekend and if nothing improves probably pull towards the end of the week and start a new property next weekend. Did pick up a few more coons during the rain last night.
As far as tracks go, it’s about impossible with very little dirt two tracks. What doesn’t have grass is covered in leaves or pine straw. Cameras aren’t even showing anything either. I check from the truck so not leaving scent everywhere. Now what’s somewhat crazy is one on the coons came in a DP that was set the very first day with Purina Pro Plan, lol. It had went through several rains already and just left alone. It now has cat food in it.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Sets went dead... - 01/23/21 03:03 AM

Have had this happen many times. Our temps here have gradually increased to the rain today. Not gonna have any cold temps in next 10 days either, plus the moon is increasing in brightness. Worst case land predator movement scenario: bright moon and warmer nights.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Sets went dead... - 01/23/21 03:43 AM

Late in season coon seem.less interested here in bait and more interested in gland lures, especially as mating season approaches. Species of gland lure doesn't seem to matter either. For, coyote, cat. Or coon...the coon seem to want to check them out.
Jim
© 2024 Trapperman Forums