Home

What long springs to pick up?

Posted By: Providence Farm

What long springs to pick up? - 02/20/21 07:58 AM

I don't have any long springs and have never used any. I would like to have a few around but don't have any idea what's a good brand that's available these days or if it matters.

I'm a hobby mixed line trapper so species isn't important. I primary target cpons and coyotes with a few beaver thrown in. I made a few sets for mink this year but didn't catch one.

It looks like #1 sleepy creeks and #5 bridges are all Minnesota traplinr has in long springs. I'm not sure what I would use #1s for the 5s I CV would use for beaver.
Are ther any others I should look at out there? Maybe something good for coon?

Edit: checked out a few more of the advertisers. Apparently #1, #11,#4,$#5 are all that's made any longer. Then there is double jaw and stop loss. Several brands of the small traps are available but all but Duke, sleepy creek and bridger are made by victor.

What brand would be best to get?
Posted By: bigfoottrapper

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 02/20/21 12:26 PM

I am in the same boat as you, I haven't bought any yet ,but a veteran member here recommended Bridger #4 offset and that is probably what I will buy
Posted By: JComer

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 02/20/21 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by bigfoottrapper
I am in the same boat as you, I haven't bought any yet ,but a veteran member here recommended Bridger #4 offset and that is probably what I will buy

what town do you live in I might have some long springs you can try out to see what you like, you might decide to go with used traps
Posted By: bhugo

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 02/20/21 01:46 PM

11’s make a good Coon trap.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 02/20/21 08:16 PM

Have you consider good quality used traps, like old style Blake & Lamb. Very good American quality and should be reasonably priced.

The B&L traps being made today by Oneida Victor of Ohio are not the old style. You want B&L made before 1990.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 02/20/21 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Have you consider good quality used traps, like old style Blake & Lamb. Very good American quality and should be reasonably priced.

The B&L traps being made today by Oneida Victor of Ohio are not the old style. You want B&L made before 1990.

X2

Sleepy Creek are good if you are buying new #11's get the double jawed ones, no reason not to since its only a couple bucks more and adds to the #11's already great lack of chew room under the jaws for coons. They will hold anything they get a grip on. They were use in otter reintroduction years ago. Tough as nails little traps. As for Beavers, the Duke #5 has more bells and whistles for less money, so IMO they are the best buy.

As for coyotes, I'd be looking for used and take my advice on brands and styles from the guys who use a lot of them.

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 02/21/21 04:39 AM

Thanks everyone. It must be a sickness. I currently have more traps than I want to put out but keep wanting to get more.

Part is I like trying different things. And I see them also as a survival tool.

I didn't realize long springs didn't freezer down as bad as coils. I hot that from a PM one of our awsum members sent me.

I think I just want some of them all. Lol sounds like me on other topics when I was a tad younger. Now I know that was to much trouble.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 02/21/21 04:48 AM

I use #3 long springs above ground for cats and on badger mounds for badgers and yotes. I use the #4s for beaver in my area the hard ground make burying them in the ground tougher then a coil. In rat sets the #1 longs are my top choice.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 02/27/21 03:25 PM

As long as the offsets are for land trapping you will be fine. But you will not hold A beaver by one or two toes with an Offset jaw. Then he is smarter.

I agree with number 11’s for coon
I’d Buy used 2’s or 3’ for land sets.
Posted By: harrison72

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 02/27/21 09:52 PM

In my opinion, the old style Blake and Lamb 1.5 longspring was one of the best traps ever made.
Posted By: bigfoottrapper

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 03/01/21 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by JComer

what town do you live in I might have some long springs you can try out to see what you like, you might decide to go with used traps

sorry man I just saw the this, I really appreciate the offer but a coworker gave me a mixed lot of them to tryout
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 03/07/21 03:54 PM

I just bought a couple dozen Bridger #4 DLS offsets for beaver and otter and the pit pans and dogs as well as Ed's clamp on center frame chain mount. With the river level changing so much I thought they would be good because they are legal in Indiana on dry ground. Don't want to get a ticket when a MB 750 or a Sleepy Creek 4 1/2 DLS is left high and dry. I have not done the mods yet buy they look like nice traps. 6 1/2 inch jaw spread.

Re: What long springs to pick up? - 03/08/21 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Flipper 56
I just bought a couple dozen Bridger #4 DLS offsets for beaver and otter and the pit pans and dogs as well as Ed's clamp on center frame chain mount. With the river level changing so much I thought they would be good because they are legal in Indiana on dry ground. Don't want to get a ticket when a MB 750 or a Sleepy Creek 4 1/2 DLS is left high and dry. I have not done the mods yet buy they look like nice traps. 6 1/2 inch jaw spread.

Not a bad idea. I can say I have made sets when it as raining completely expecting them to be so deep the next morning from rising water they would be out of comission only to find them 2 feet on the bank the next morning because they opened the dam. I always wonder how strict they would be on that?

I was going to make an order but think bn I might just weight tell the convention this summer since it will be 8 miles from me.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums