Home

How do you make a pvc fleshing beam?

Posted By: Koss2005

How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/25/21 10:03 PM

I was able to get a 12 in piece of pvc 6 ft long. I'm not sure what dimension's to draw on it prior to cutting it. I want to cut it in half,diameter wise, and use one half for yotes and cats. The other half for beaver. I'll do coon on which ever side will work the best.

I want to make one fleshing stand and build it so the pvc is interchangeable.

Any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks!
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/26/21 12:25 AM

Check out CoonCreek on youtube in his older videos he has a how he made his with sizes. I made my off of his.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/26/21 12:50 AM

I would make one end for large critters and the other end for small critters, if it was me.
The base would accommodate swapping ends.

The base would either be a 4 x 4 or a 6 x 6.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/26/21 01:17 AM

I used a wire stretcher for a pattern on an 8" piece of pvc pipe. Then made a wooden base that I could remove the pvc and store away until I needed it again.

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/26/21 01:46 AM

I did watch Coon Creek but I didn't see anything about the size. I heard him refer to them by the pelt. I'll go back and look I may have missed it
Posted By: LDW

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/26/21 08:35 AM

I used a coon stretcher for a pattern. Made 3 different sizes, but just use the coon size 99% of the time. I'm just doing coyotes and coons most of the time. I think I made mine 6 years ago, really has worked well for me. Made sure you wear a mask when cutting and forming.

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/26/21 12:45 PM

LDW you used a coon stretcher for you pattern, does that seem to work good on your coyotes? You made three different sizes what did you use for the other two?
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/26/21 01:17 PM

I used a coon to make mine and really don't see the need for me to make any other size for my needs.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/26/21 02:49 PM

Buddy dropped one off for my 4H class to use this weekend it has 3 different slip on beams for different head width sizes and beavers. He said if it gets a gouge mark just smooth it out with a torch to smooth it out.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/26/21 05:47 PM

I tried one for beaver, the hide kept sliding off the side.

Can i use a 2" pvc pipe(not cut) to flesh mink?
Posted By: bhugo

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/26/21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
I tried one for beaver, the hide kept sliding off the side.

Can i use a 2" pvc pipe(not cut) to flesh mink?

I just flesh mink on the same board that they will dry on. Just cut a slot in a big chunk of wood to hold the board up at an angle on your table. I just use a big chunk of 6x6 for the base.

For rats I use a long fox stretcher leaned against a table, or a muskrat board in the same slot I put my mink board in...

A pelt scraper is easier than a big fleshing knife on these 2 animals in my opinion. A big serving spoon works fine.
Posted By: Hern

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/26/21 11:38 PM

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/27/21 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Buddy dropped one off for my 4H class to use this weekend it has 3 different slip on beams for different head width sizes and beavers. He said if it gets a gouge mark just smooth it out with a torch to smooth it out.

That’s a cool and easy fix!

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/27/21 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Koss2005
LDW you used a coon stretcher for you pattern, does that seem to work good on your coyotes? You made three different sizes what did you use for the other two?

Yep, the coon board works great for coyotes. I made a board 12 inches wide for beaver and a narrow one for rats and mink. I never use those 2 as I just trap coyotes along with coons that plug up my yote sets.
Posted By: shorthair

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/27/21 12:18 PM

ttt
Posted By: Owen156

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/28/21 07:24 PM

I fleshed a 65lb beaver this morning on a 7" beam. Never again, need a wider beam for those big beavers. He was an old warhorse and after removing the saddle and all the fat he had multiple scars from fighting over the years. I've got to find some of that pipe so I can modify my beam.

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/28/21 07:45 PM

My buddy has 3 different slip on beams for his from beaver to muskrats just snap one off then snap the other one on.

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/28/21 08:32 PM

Owen156 I was driving by a construction site and saw a bunch of pvc laying around. I stopped and spoke with the site foreman asked him if I could buy a piece of there pvc if they had any scrapes left over. After about 20 minutes of bs'ing he said follow me. He took me to a pile and asked me if I wanted 10in or 12in. I told him I'd like the 12in and asked him how much he told me nothing. It was about 6ft long I went to lift it and it was pretty heavy he said leave it I'll have my guy load it. He called out to some young kid to load for me and that fellow picked it up and put it on his shoulder and loaded it into the bed of my truck and that's all there is to getting a piece of pvc pipe.

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/28/21 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
My buddy has 3 different slip on beams for his from beaver to muskrats just snap one off then snap the other one on.

What does the beaver beam look like as far as width and shape?

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/28/21 09:17 PM

I’ll go get a pic, looks like one is 6 3/4 the other wide one is 5 1/2 then the smaller beam. Looks like he uses the middle one the most.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I’m making mine different as far as the base goes I’m thinking a folding treated post that comes up short at the top to allow the use of a thinner rat beam with no added material from the support post under it. A hinge and bolt through the bottom base would allow it to go up and down and when in the up position the board piece would fit into a slot to hold it in place that’s on the hinge.

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/28/21 10:10 PM

Thanks for the pictures. I’d like to see the base after you make it.

I’m thinking about making one, but I’d probably just use my old wood beam as a base. I’d Probably just cut the top of the beam off and mount the pvc on top of the remaining beam. My beam is currently made of a piece of 2x6 hardwood. I’d like one a touch wider. Maybe 6 1/2”. I think it would work well for raccoons on up. I have only seen one set up similar to that. I’m not sold on the swapping out of pvc pieces yet. I’ll probably bolt mine on.

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 02/28/21 11:19 PM

I was thinking of cutting a thin line in the beam for a second anchor point with a cable and a small binder. The boards on this set up binds into place as the curve of the beam slips under the flat board holding it.
Posted By: Owen156

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 03/01/21 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Koss2005
Owen156 I was driving by a construction site and saw a bunch of pvc laying around. I stopped and spoke with the site foreman asked him if I could buy a piece of there pvc if they had any scrapes left over. After about 20 minutes of bs'ing he said follow me. He took me to a pile and asked me if I wanted 10in or 12in. I told him I'd like the 12in and asked him how much he told me nothing. It was about 6ft long I went to lift it and it was pretty heavy he said leave it I'll have my guy load it. He called out to some young kid to load for me and that fellow picked it up and put it on his shoulder and loaded it into the bed of my truck and that's all there is to getting a piece of pvc pipe.

Thanks, I know where there is a construction site with the green pipe laying all over the place.

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 03/01/21 11:22 AM

I used 14in well casing that I bought from a well drillers. Fairly easy to come by around here, as there are 7 or 8 drillers in the area.

Attached picture IMG_20190309_164330825.jpg
Posted By: Culvercreek

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 03/01/21 07:02 PM

I made mine mounted on a tapered 2x4. Screwed through the top and epoxy to fill in the screw heads. I used a coyote board to trace the shape and then a jig saw to cut out. A belt sander and a 4-1/2" grinder with flapper wheels to shape and smooth. As you can see in the pic I use it close to the cabinets and counter in my garage. on the edge of the cabinets I screwed in two brackets that are used to hold in 2x4 uprights on a trailer to mount removable sides. works great. I have one smaller to use on smaller critters like mink and fisher and even though I haven't gotten any beaver yet I have a much wider one made to handle those.

Attached picture Fleshing beam.jpg
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 03/02/21 02:02 AM

I fashioned mine around Coon Creek's set up. I made a 10-1/2", 8", 6", and a 4" beam out of 10" dia. PVC. To be honest I use the 6" beam 90% of the time and never use the 4" beam, easier to do mink on the wooden stretcher board.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I love it!
[Linked Image]

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 03/02/21 11:30 AM

Do all of you guys like the pvc a lot better? What are the drawbacks, if any? It seems like the pelt might slip around a lot to me, but I never used one.

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 03/02/21 12:52 PM

rendezvous, that's what i'm looking for! What dimensions for the boards. I don't need the smallest board and I can figure out the beaver board. I assume there patterned after a peticular stretcher size
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 03/02/21 06:59 PM

6" at the base and tapered as a typical stretcher board, same with the 8" beam. All have a 4" x 1-1/2" notches on the bottom and are 36" long.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: How do you make a pvc fleshing beam? - 03/02/21 08:37 PM

Thank you rendezvous.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums