Home

neoprene hip boots

Posted By: Walt Gessler

neoprene hip boots - 03/02/21 05:43 PM

Can anyone share experience with neoprene hip boots?? I have used the LaCrosse black rubber hip boots for a number of years with good results and they last a long time because I take care of them by hanging them up and treating them with Armor All at least once a year to keep the rubber pliable and not cracking. Anyway, thinking of trying a lighter neoprene pair and wonder what peoples experiences have been.

Thanks
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/02/21 06:08 PM

I have used the 3mm neoprene wader pants. Not bad in cold weather (our cold weather in the south, not the sub zero under ice stuff) but they get too hot real quick in warmer weather. I will still use them when it is cold but have switched to a much lighter hip boot with fabric tops for warmer weather. I can buy 3 or 4 pair of the hip books for what one pair of the pants cost.
Posted By: Mousey Trapper

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/02/21 06:09 PM

Neoprene's will where faster on heavy brush faster.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/02/21 06:17 PM

Back to rubber for me. Neoprene have not been durable in my experience.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/02/21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by bhugo
Back to rubber for me. Neoprene have not been durable in my experience.

X2
Posted By: Flattail1961

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/02/21 06:48 PM

Try the Dans hip boots. The nylon tops are tough and you can select from several boot styles that include insulated or non-insulated.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/02/21 08:46 PM

Neoprene are fine if you're a fisherman standing out in cold water all day. Neoprene and beaver stobs don't mix.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/02/21 10:50 PM

Neoprene tears to easily. Stick with the rubber

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/03/21 01:02 AM

Great insights, much appreciated!!
Posted By: KJD357

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/03/21 02:10 AM

I’ve got a pair of Dan’s chaps and they are pretty good, I was a little apprehensive about the snap wearing out, but so far so good. I think I’m gonna buy some cordura and add some knee pads and a pocket or two.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/03/21 02:16 AM

Neoprenes i had didnt last one season.
Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/03/21 06:04 PM

I have a pair of knee-high muck boots with thick rubber from the sole to the ankle then from there to the top there neoprene its perfect for hunting or even wearing in -10 weather with wool socks on.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/03/21 06:34 PM

I wear neoprene waders for all of my trapping, be that open water and on the ice. Mine fit nice and tight and stay warm and dry and they work like a life vest if one goes in the water or through the ice. Mine are breathable so that helps. My last set lasted three seasons and I will replace with neoprene again. I had several pairs of rubber ones that had various lengths of usage. I did not buy higher end rubber however so that may not be a good comparison. I do a lot of wading also have found that fitting tighter for me helps minimize the rips and tears as one has a better feel of where things are.

Bryce

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/03/21 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
I wear neoprene waders for all of my trapping, be that open water and on the ice. Mine fit nice and tight and stay warm and dry and they work like a life vest if one goes in the water or through the ice. Mine are breathable so that helps. My last set lasted three seasons and I will replace with neoprene again. I had several pairs of rubber ones that had various lengths of usage. I did not buy higher end rubber however so that may not be a good comparison. I do a lot of wading also have found that fitting tighter for me helps minimize the rips and tears as one has a better feel of where things are.

Bryce

What kind of neoprene is breathable? This would make me happier in waders!

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/04/21 05:05 AM

Cabela's were the last ones I bought. The rubber boot part wore out on me. The neoprene part is still pretty good. When I get holes at times I just scrap some gorilla adhesive over the hole and it works very well.
Sorry I don't have any more info, as I looked at the waders and did not find anything as to model other than thinsulate as well a neoprene. Neoprene does soak up water so they get heavier if you spend a lot of time in the water.

Bryce
Posted By: Ringbill5196

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/04/21 08:34 AM

Lacrosse Trapline hip boots for me unless below zero, then the bunny booted Cabelas Armor neoprene. I do wear neoprene chest waders and they are very hot for trapping.

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/04/21 10:26 AM

Thanks for looking Bryce.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/04/21 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ringbill5196
Lacrosse Trapline hip boots for me unless below zero, then the bunny booted Cabelas Armor neoprene. I do wear neoprene chest waders and they are very hot for trapping.

Same extremely hot. I only use them duck hunting now where I'm not moving around
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/04/21 02:28 PM

Just bought a cheap pair of hip boots I did not wear anything last year but regular below the knee boots and got along OK. If not for some shallow rat trapping I would not of gotten these hip boots it’s more about the muck then water here ponds ar about dry I can’t see spending $180 for boots that don’t last.

I lived in Northern brand boot many years ago they held up well and could be folded down easily. Most boots today crack before the second season, the boot material today is a worthless foam material that won’t hold up.
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/04/21 10:48 PM

I have used the Dans, and Yoder with good service. I get three years out of a set of hip waders with the Muck boots, they crack and fail. This last time I bought Dans with the LaCrosse boots, supposedly they last five years. We shall see.

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/06/21 05:10 PM

I have found that cleaning and treating anything rubber (hip boots, waders, shoulder length gloves) with Armorall at least once a year helps keep them from cracking. I also hang by the feet in the basement out of direct sunlight.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/16/21 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Neoprenes i had didnt last one season.

Thats the truth if ya do any serious trapping at all
Posted By: btomlin

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/16/21 07:40 PM

I just got the Dan's 5star with the Dan's boots. Time will tell, but so far so good.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/16/21 07:45 PM

Neoprene don't do well where I trap. Rocks, barb wire, brush. Always fixing holes and still getting partially wet.

Re: neoprene hip boots - 03/17/21 12:06 AM

I wear my neoprene every day of canoe trapping in the fall, wading the rivers I trap which is about 5 miles of river and streams and I wear them every day when trapping through the ice. They are warm but comfortable for me and I like the idea they fit tighter ( bit stout I am) and work as a life vest if you go in. I get about 3 years or use out of each pair doing that. What I may do to save the waders longer is buy a cheaper pair for the canoe as I seldom can set in the marshes and flowages I trap. One of the issues I had with rubber waders is that every crease starts to crack and thus leak and some cases that is quickly.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums