Home

sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof

Posted By: s^s

sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/22/21 06:25 PM

i see a lot of modified traps have sterling swivels. what would be the advantage of a sterling over a mb crunch proof?
besides making them yourself?
just curious.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/22/21 06:28 PM

Sterlings are practically indestructible. Bad thing is you need access to a welder
Posted By: btomlin

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/22/21 06:51 PM

I've read that it is easier to bed a trap with a sterling type swivel. I'm thinking of trying them on a few traps under the baseplate. If I have an trap that is being a pain, it is almost always due to it rocking on the CP swivel.
Posted By: KJD357

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/22/21 07:07 PM

I’ve got some jc connor rod swivels, they do bed a little easier, I think every other swivel I own is a crunch proof. All it takes for them is an extra wack or two with hammer to get the trap bed bowled out.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/22/21 07:13 PM

Bed easier and don’t plug up near as bad with grass.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: garart

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/22/21 07:15 PM

The PIT heavey duty swivel is a good swivel to attach to the "D" ring at the trap base, it lays flat and there is no trap "wobble".
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/22/21 09:24 PM

Lay flater, bed better
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/22/21 09:29 PM

I know some guys like the soft soil bedding system but if you the "wedge style" bed,only the jaws and springs touch soil.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/23/21 02:40 PM

^^^^ this is what I call Zaggers method and it solves the problem nicely. I like the rod swivels though as they are very tough.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/24/21 04:38 PM

Rob are you bending your own J hooks and if so have you found any nails that are harder than others ?

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/24/21 04:48 PM

Nails are the hardest thing. They have got thinner heads here in the last 15 years or so. The best I have found are menards 30d. I have a Jason Dufresne bender. It rocks. I also add a washer to my nail swivels. You can about spin the trap by blowing on it. Lol. Very easy. I’ve caugh hundreds of yotes with them and they have always performed flawlessly. I have had crunch proofs so plugged up with grassi doubt they worked. Also a giant pain in th butt to clean all that grass out of them.
If I thought there was a demand for it I would start making custom chain rigs when I retire.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/24/21 05:15 PM

I acquired some bmi #2s an really like the design of their swivel at the baseplate. Sets basically flush with baseplate when bedded. Also the harris trap has an interesting base swivel as well.
Posted By: Hanger

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/24/21 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by yoteguts
Nails are the hardest thing. They have got thinner heads here in the last 15 years or so. The best I have found are menards 30d. I have a Jason Dufresne bender. It rocks. I also add a washer to my nail swivels. You can about spin the trap by blowing on it. Lol. Very easy. I’ve caugh hundreds of yotes with them and they have always performed flawlessly. I have had crunch proofs so plugged up with grassi doubt they worked. Also a giant pain in th butt to clean all that grass out of them.
If I thought there was a demand for it I would start making custom chain rigs when I retire.

What’s a dozen run for?
Posted By: red mt

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/25/21 01:03 AM

Well I am retired kind of monkey doing my own but it ,,a guy have look at part and piece to see plus labor then shipping .
But put a sterling or something like it or jc conner rod dog on all new traps they bed way faster easier.
Beartooth trapper has got some of the long j-hooks I like also.
Posted By: mully

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/25/21 01:45 AM

Could you post a picture of your bender Yoteguts? I'm always looking for a better tool.

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/25/21 02:23 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mully

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/25/21 02:41 AM

Thanks! That does make nice j hooks.

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/25/21 02:47 AM

Anytime. I’ve owned a lot of different benders and this one is the best I’ve used.
I think trappergbus posted a conners swivel with a 30d nail jhook. I made up a few like that and they worked well also. If I got that idea from someone else I’m sorry I can’t recall it correctly.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/25/21 03:12 AM

Anytime. I’ve owned a lot of different benders and this one is the best I’ve used.

Jason never did anything halfassed.
Posted By: kinley31

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/25/21 08:40 AM

I don't think you'd have a problem staying busy. Bridger and Duke both make quality coyote traps, unfortunately the chains do need to be upgraded.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/25/21 09:02 AM

Common nails are better for this than sinker nails.
New Old Stock made in USA even better.
Posted By: jtg

Re: sterling swivels vs mb crunch proof - 03/25/21 02:04 PM

Awesome job.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums