Home

Anchors

Posted By: Blaine County

Anchors - 03/30/21 09:42 PM

I am spending a lot of time getting ready for next season now. A lot of you guys know way more than me so I am going to start asking more questions (and I love the archives and always read this page). Plus, it keeps me out of trouble on the main forum. Many thanks in advance.

I have used Wolf Fangs for years. For whatever reason, I had lots of problems with Wolf Fangs last season. I switched to Duckbills/Super Stakes towards the end and really like them. I have really heavy clay and rocks in some areas and the Wolf Fangs wouldn't release from the driver and would come back up. I tried filing on the driver--I don't know what the problem was.

Anyway, there is a huge cost difference even when I assemble my own. What do y'all think? Switch?

Also, I want to buy/build a stake puller and was thinking that is another reason to switch. Should this be a factor? I've never used one.

Thanks again.

Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Anchors - 03/30/21 11:07 PM

I'd take a look at the wolf fangs to make sure you didn't get a bad lot. And another look at the driver with a file You might have a burr or something bent. Season is a long way off and you'll have time to find the problem. I have very Rocky ground and have no trouble with wolf fangs. Your stake puller will pull the wolf fangs. I made one from a 5 foot bar a piece of chain and a hook

Re: Anchors - 03/30/21 11:41 PM

Great point. I'm headed out to the shop to inspect some of the new and older ones I have. Thank you.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Anchors - 03/30/21 11:42 PM

Bullet stakes with the the retrieval cables makes life a ton easier. Haven't really tried them in rockier areas so I'm not sure how well they'd go through hard rock like the spade type disposables. Rock I just go to drags or extensions.

Re: Anchors - 03/31/21 12:27 AM

Thanks Sniper.
Posted By: JesseA

Re: Anchors - 03/31/21 01:39 AM

I used a mix of super stakes and wolf fangs last season and overall I was not impressed with the wolf fangs, constantly getting stuck in driver, bent more than I could count in rocky ground. The super stakes performed flawlessly, all I'll use from here on out.

Re: Anchors - 03/31/21 02:08 AM

Jesse--In the past, I liked the Wolf Fangs. Something was different this year.

I got distracted and didn't do my inspection this evening.
Posted By: JesseA

Re: Anchors - 03/31/21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Blaine County

I uses them some last season and liked them, but this year was nothing but issues. I believe part of the reason they bend so easily is you're pounding on the very back of the anchor when driving, unlike the super steaks you're hammering on the solid point
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Anchors - 03/31/21 02:29 AM

I tried the wolf fangs but were hard to drive in most soil in my areas. I still mostly use the standard berkshires for most coyote sets and some bobcat sets. I have found it works best to make a pilot hole first for the berkshires and sometimes use my berkshire driver to make the pilot hole for the wolf fangs too.
I do use some drags and at times use a trap with a drag setup chained around a tree with a heavy carabeaner or chain repair link around the chain.
Mountain lions can be problem around here. The last thing you want is for a lion to run off with your trap.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Anchors - 03/31/21 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Bullet stakes with the the retrieval cables makes life a ton easier..

we make them for some customers and they say they are the cats meow in our eastern clay
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Anchors - 03/31/21 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
Bullet stakes with the the retrieval cables makes life a ton easier..

we make them for some customers and they say they are the cats meow in our eastern clay

Especially if you move traps alot like dps.
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Anchors - 04/03/21 09:37 PM

Hard to beat MB Super stakes on chain!

Re: Anchors - 04/03/21 10:22 PM

I went with the duckbills. I should get them soon and will build 100. I still have a bunch of wolffangs and will use those up too (and I filed the crap out of my driver).
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Anchors - 04/08/21 07:33 PM

I have used pogos for awhile now. I enjoy making them and using them. Don’t have any problems. Made my own driver, the tip is a hardened bolt. No problems.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Anchors - 04/10/21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Blaine County

Originally Posted by AuthorTrapper
Having moved every three years over 25 years in the Marines, I had to constantly adapt to different soils and rocky conditions over 11 states. In some soil conditions, the wolf fangs were great. At the end of the day, wolf fangs eventually bend, even if slightly enough to not see with the eye and they hang up on the driver. A quality heat treated driver helps but even then a bend fang gets caught. Finally settling here in Montana, I use only chained super stakes and love them. The only complaint I have is retrieving them. I started leaving them in the ground at some places I know I’ll trap the following year. Makes connecting traps real quick with a quick link.

Re: Anchors - 04/10/21 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter
I have used pogos for awhile now. I enjoy making them and using them. Don’t have any problems. Made my own driver, the tip is a hardened bolt. No problems.
I used pogos for a few years when I was stationed in NC. Easy as cake in sandy soul and about as cheap as you can get. I bet I wouldn’t get down an inch here with them. I sure miss the sandy soils.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Anchors - 04/11/21 12:13 PM

I tried disposables when they first started being talked about. If your walking they could be a plus I guess. But drivers and pullers kinda screw that up too. I trap out of a pick-up and off a four wheeler. I use 1/2 inch rebar with a 5/8 nut welded on top, or drags. They last forever. So lots cheaper. Some western cat sets I will walk in. Climb on foot really. Not often though. Even cats will cross whatever trail your driving on at some point. If I beaver trap its with a boat. This is 2021. There just is no reason to not use an internal combustion engine. Unless maybe your just catching a few critters to protect your chickens and get some exercise or something. Or maybe your 15 and your only transportation is a bicycle.

Rebar cross staked. A whole lot less problems. Cheaper. Don't wear out. Pull them with a 28 ounce estwing straight claw framing hammer. Same hammer you dug your trap bed and drove them in with. (once in a while an adjustable spanner wrench or vise-grip plier to turn them a couple turns and facilitate pulling.)

Simple effective and cheap, no gimmicks, is still what I prefer.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Anchors - 04/11/21 01:28 PM

I trap off a 4 wheeler and truck too,and there's no way in this country are you going to set close to the two tracks without serious losses.And here in Michigan,anyway,the moment your vehicle leaves the trail subjects you to violations from the COs.We have alot of sand here,there's no way your not going to leave to road numerous times checking traps that your not going to make your own two track.Granted,I use more drags than stakes nowadays but walking off the trail to get away from the weekend warrior crowd is a fact of life up here,always has been and always will be.Small game hunters,bear hunters,sight seers,use these same 2 tracks,let alone a good share of the 700,000 annual deer license buyers.And in our sugar sand conditions disposables hold fantastic,I have yet to lose a coyote pulling a disposable,and I've never had to double stake them.Bullet stakes and wolf fangs work great in this country.My re rod stakes have joined other relics from the coyote line,like using No3 Herters and No.4 Newhouses.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Anchors - 04/11/21 01:46 PM

I’m to cheap to walk away from a super stake.

Cheapest I could get em made was about $1.24.

I can make a wolf fang for about .60 cents. I can make a pogo a heck of a lot cheaper, but alas, they don’t go into western ground worth a hoot.

I need the option of being truly “disposable”.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Anchors - 04/11/21 02:32 PM

I use the wolf fangs here in this country. It is sandy soil not much rock so they go in fine. The driver I use is to soft the more you use it the more problems you have. I am in the process of trying to make a different one out of harder material.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Anchors - 04/11/21 10:26 PM

My wolf fangs are free and truly disposable. But I do try and remove most of them If It's easy.
I lay my tile spade flat on the ground make a wrap around the handle close to the shovel part and reef up on It. If It starts to come up I lower the shovel and choke up on the cable or chain and reef up on It again.
If It doesn't pull out I cut the cable and leave.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Anchors - 04/20/21 06:33 AM

Chained super stakes with retriever cable is best.

DRILL HOLES FIRST. It saves aching wrists.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Anchors - 05/10/21 12:30 AM

Only way to fly AT.
Only way to fly.

Re: Anchors - 05/10/21 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June

Only way to fly AT.
Only way to fly.

I went this route! I'll use the 100 duckbills I bought for something else.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Anchors - 05/10/21 11:30 AM

I’ve used wolf fangs for a few years. I too for some reason, had problems with them this past season. They bent and did not set and pulled way too easily. Most of my strip pit ground if you get it one in its permanent. I’m going back to double stakes or drags. I have an Airedale pup I want to take along with me for drags that used to be slightly iffy on direction.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Anchors - 05/10/21 12:55 PM

Finned super stakes will hold an 18-wheeler...... now I'm not saying they are the best, cause they take forever to get out, but they will hold anything you catch!
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Anchors - 05/10/21 01:58 PM

Wolf fangs are nice anchors. Have had few when driving into the ground the tab the welded s hook goes thru broke off soon as I set the anchor never had that problem till the last batch I bought. Must be being made cheaper and cheaper. So switched to either double stake or super stakes when staking is possible.

Re: Anchors - 05/10/21 02:23 PM

Agree. There was something about the batch I bought last year.

I've moved on and am looking forward to the super stakes.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Anchors - 05/10/21 08:08 PM

Crossed rebar is only thing ive found i can retrieve here in late January when I'm done with coyote line.
That said, I do like the lighter weight of bullets on cable when I'm walking that line due to crappy weather.
For my coon sets, mostly 1.5s and DPs needing anchors, I use berk disposables.
Jim
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Anchors - 05/10/21 10:07 PM

I went with Super Stakes with chain two years ago and won't look back.
Posted By: trappergreen62

Re: Anchors - 05/15/21 08:01 AM

I make up about a hundred berkshire cable stakes each summer. 18 inches is way to long for our heavy clay soil so I use 10 inches of cable 1/8 0r 7/32 both and put on a universal swivel then about 4-5 inches of straight link chain #3 on the 1/8 cable #2 0n the 7/32. I carry both 3/16 quick links and heavy duty s hooks and let the location etc determine the anchoring method.
I also use allot of drags. and carry about half a rick of firewood in the back of the truck.
Coyote size 3 prong grapple on 5 feet of #3 chain and 2 prong fox grapples on 4 ft chain attached to the trap chain with a quick link. Then about two feet from the trap attach the firewood size log with a large fence staple.This gives me a ready to drop in post set or backing for a mouse hole or flat set. The log gives the coyote something to scratch roll and fight other than the trap.
It also gives coons something to chew and will keep the cats out of the trees. They don't go far and there easy to find and that chewed scented up log becomes a good attraction.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Anchors - 05/15/21 10:40 AM

Trappergreen62 that is a great idea to keep cats out of trees. Also like the chewed up sobered on logs as attractors after a catch.
Nice work.
Jim

Re: Anchors - 05/15/21 03:14 PM

I don’t know where I’d begin on this one. I’ve used all regular staking methods and products. Having trapped in 11 states, I’ve found that the ground determines what’s best. If I were back in the southeast, the wolf fangs are a great option because of price. The wolf fangs won’t hold up here with the rocks and frozen ground. No way. Chained super stakes can sometimes rip apart in hard enough ground. If weight were never an issue, double staking would be my favorite. 6” rebar could hold any coyote in hard enough ground, though I’d never do it.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Anchors - 05/16/21 03:07 PM

Two years ago I went to chained superstates after using Wolf fang's for years. The only complaint I have with the supers are trying to get them out with 2 ft of frost. Wolf fang I would just clip and go, they only cost me .50 to build. I can just unhook the chained stakes and after frost goes out pull them. That's a pain to do, but they cost to much to just leave.
Posted By: niit_train12

Re: Anchors - 05/19/21 01:49 AM

As a new trapper, these forums provide a plethora of knowledge. This past season, my first, I used Berkshires and Super Stakes (chain and Cable) in WV. Mostly rocky soils. I can honestly say that if you’re trapping from a machine (ATV, snowmobile, truck, etc) using a T-post puller from a farm store worked wonders. I only bent one Berkshire. The rest pulled with ease. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Anchors - 05/19/21 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by niit_train12
As a new trapper, these forums provide a plethora of knowledge. This past season, my first, I used Berkshires and Super Stakes (chain and Cable) in WV. Mostly rocky soils. I can honestly say that if you’re trapping from a machine (ATV, snowmobile, truck, etc) using a T-post puller from a farm store worked wonders. I only bent one Berkshire. The rest pulled with ease. [Linked Image]

About flipped my 4-wheeler end over end before I chickened out, lol. Hooked the winch to the super stake and the back tires got off the ground. I got to about 60 degrees and said nope, that one can stay! It’s still there and I add a trap and quick link and still catch a coyote and or bobcat in that spot every year. The pipe stays in the ground there as well. It about gnawed to the deck, but I just clean it out what’s still in the Earth and add bait.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums