Home

Rail Fish Plate

Posted By: Blaine County

Rail Fish Plate - 04/03/21 10:05 PM

I scored some of these today. It weighs a little over 30lbs and probably 2 feet long. 3 holes in each. I believe they are used to join pieces of rail.

I've predator trapped for years but am gearing up for water trapping next year and am reading all I can. I will mostly trap beaver.

Is that enough weight for a drowner setup? I'm intending to use chain if that factors. I can include a photo if that helps. Thanks guys.
Posted By: magsdad

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/03/21 10:34 PM

I use the rail plates that connect the ties to the track. They work good if in a muddy bottom. If the bottom is rocky a big beaver will sometimes pull them up. I haven’t lost a beaver. They are just waiting on the bank for you

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/03/21 10:38 PM

Thank you. I'm on the hunt for some of those too.

We have muddy bottoms.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/03/21 11:21 PM

Those plates will work fine. I bring in my weights before season to sites and use them year after year
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/04/21 12:22 AM

Pickup truck brake rotars.

Railroad components might get a man in trouble.
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/04/21 12:38 AM

I use old window weights they work good.
Posted By: PushCoTrapper

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/04/21 01:29 AM

30lb is the lightest I use prefer 40lb-50lb the mud around here helps. Truck rotars work great or 2 car rotars also have a bunch of weights from a bench press set that I like. I've also used poly bags with success when setting far from the truck. Going turkey hunting next week and decided to take Easter off so pulled my last traps today. Got my last 2 of the season. [Linked Image]

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/04/21 01:40 AM

Nice! Thanks guys.
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/04/21 01:48 AM

Take a cable and a piece of garden hose and run it through a hole on one end for a handle, it saves your hands and is easier to carry. I put a cable loop on the other end to connect my drowner chain to with a sleep easy hook. That way you can separate the trap and chain from the weight for storage.
Posted By: hogwild

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/13/21 02:49 AM

[Linked Image]
Got some from another trapper.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/13/21 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by dustytinner
Take a cable and a piece of garden hose and run it through a hole on one end for a handle, it saves your hands and is easier to carry. I put a cable loop on the other end to connect my drowner chain to with a sleep easy hook. That way you can separate the trap and chain from the weight for storage.

Ever try the quick toggles? Basically a piece of pencil rod with a twist in the middle to attach your cable.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/13/21 09:24 AM

I have had beaver drag concrete blocks out. You need to fasten both ends of the cable when possible. I never used a 30 pound piece of steel. Beaver ARE incredibly strong though. Especially those 50 pounders.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Rail Fish Plate - 04/13/21 12:06 PM

I've gone completely to drowning rods. got tired of hauling weights around and having to wear waders to get the weights deep enough. Mine are 1/2 inch rerod but I'm gonna get some fiberglass and Hags drowning slides. Those plates make great coni plates, just drill a hole in the center and bolt a conni bracket of choice to the center.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums