Home

Trap prep

Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Trap prep - 04/28/21 04:41 PM

Would it be worth it to wax acetone/primer dipped traps for scent control?
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Trap prep - 04/28/21 05:09 PM

Nope. Just wah them off at car wash or in a dishwasher. Let dry. Then dip in Formula 1. Work all over the south and out west. I catch 300~400. Coyotes a year with it!
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Trap prep - 04/28/21 07:23 PM

Thanks steeltraps
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Trap prep - 04/28/21 08:28 PM

not if you air them out a while
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Trap prep - 04/28/21 10:00 PM

All I do with my coyote traps is clean the grease off, spray paint them, let them air out for 2+ weeks, then dip them in Southern Snares' "BulletProof." I love it; it works great, and holds up AWESOME!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Trap prep - 04/29/21 01:19 AM

If I’m reading your post right, they’re already dipped right? Just air dry and set.
I did use Formula 1 this year and really like it. My traps will just be cleaned well after season and re-dipped if necessary.
Any brand new traps just get cleaned and set. Predators don’t seem to differentiate or care whether they’re dipped or shiny new.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: Trap prep - 04/29/21 03:16 AM

Wanna Be. Is correct. You only have to = dye ,color, or dip for YOUR shake not the traps. I caught a old female the other day. With a MJ 6oo that was so rust that dust would fly off it if you dropped it. LoL!
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Trap prep - 04/30/21 01:14 AM

I wax for the protection and speed mainly, plus it helps a little bit with freezing up when trapping in snow. So I would wax for those reasons, I don't think it does too much for scent control, it is just that it is usually done when you are cleaning and descenting traps.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Trap prep - 04/30/21 01:51 AM

I agree. If they are dipped already, just wash and air out.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums