Pictures of muskrat pocket sets please - 05/01/21 01:40 AM

My cousin is trying to catch muskrats with a foothold can ya'll help
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Pictures of muskrat pocket sets please - 05/01/21 02:37 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Pictures of muskrat pocket sets please - 05/01/21 11:06 AM

Pockets are great sets. But. They are labor intensive to construct, you don’t need to work that hard to catch rats. Focus on identifying sign and let the rats work for you.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Pictures of muskrat pocket sets please - 05/01/21 11:30 AM

If the banks are soft enough, all I do for rats is kick in the pocket and add a dab of lure. No need to dig the tile spade out if you don't have to for rats. Course my banks are too hard most times so I can only kick in 30-40% of the time
Posted By: general

Re: Pictures of muskrat pocket sets please - 05/01/21 03:14 PM

Just scrub a slide up the bank with your boot and slick it down with some water, add a little lure if you like and set your trap in the stream at the bottom of the slide. Make sure you bed the trap solid and wire it off good enough to hold any coon or beaver that might get caught. Just keep it simple
Posted By: Boco

Re: Pictures of muskrat pocket sets please - 05/01/21 04:47 PM

Toilets are sure fire places to catch rats.More than one rat will use the toilet,you can get a rough idea if its just one rat or a few by the amount of scats and the varying degree of fresh to old.
Look for fresh(and old) scats/droppings and set traps there.
Toilets are found on old floating logs,and at rat crossovers on beaver dams.
Rats use their scats to scent mark.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Pictures of muskrat pocket sets please - 05/01/21 05:51 PM

Toilets are a good set If you can find them. But I find them to be a spring thing around here. I could take you into a fall rat marsh and you would have a hard time finding any toilets.
Posted By: cwtrapper

Re: Pictures of muskrat pocket sets please - 05/02/21 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by nimzy
Pockets are great sets. But. They are labor intensive to construct, you don’t need to work that hard to catch rats. Focus on identifying sign and let the rats work for you.

Best advice of all.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Pictures of muskrat pocket sets please - 05/07/21 09:27 PM

Instead of digging pockets, search to find where rats are climbing in and out of the water (slides) etc. to find food etc. In my area those areas are clay type soil and I just use my boot or hands to create a ledge just below the water to set my chosen trap for that place with no bait or lure. Much faster and just as effective in my opinion.

Bryce
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Pictures of muskrat pocket sets please - 05/07/21 11:48 PM

The key word Is "SEARCH" you can waste a lot of time "SEARCHING" for the right location. Use lure and bait and let the rats come to you.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums