Home

Snare Endstop Failure

Posted By: Teacher

Snare Endstop Failure - 05/04/21 02:58 PM

It’s got me bothered. I swaged a big end stop on a 3/32 7x7 cable and it popped off. We think it was an adult otter and it’s fine that it got away because trying to release an ornery otter, without a catch pole, wouldn’t have been fun. But the fact that the end stop came off is bothering me. To be fair, none of the beavers nor incidental coon caused an endstop failure.

Being new to snare building, I over think things. Am I over thinking this?
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/04/21 03:32 PM

Were you using a breakaway stop or a regular aluminum stop?
Tom
Posted By: Newt

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/04/21 03:41 PM

This is how I do "all" end stops

Using a double ferrule - make a loop- pull loop as tight as you can- now crimp the double ferrule.

Now the end stops are stronger that the cable its self.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/04/21 03:50 PM

Another way to strenghten the holding power of end stops is to cross punch them with a standard screw driver. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/04/21 04:24 PM

[Linked Image]

For wolf.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/04/21 04:30 PM

[Linked Image]

For everything else.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/04/21 05:40 PM

I have breakaway “s” attached to all locks. The stop was the big aluminum stops available thru Cumberlands. In the past, I flattened them with a hammer. Now I’m mashing them with a bench swager. This is the one that failed.

On about half of the snares made, I’ve put a steel stop at the end of the cable where it passes thru the breakaway. These stops are threaded and really bite . They’re a bit stiff for the swager so I beat them on with a hammer.

I’ve got some of your snares, Newt. Unless you’re using a different ferrule than I have, you’ve got to be one strong son-of-a-gun to pull that loop so tight!
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/04/21 06:30 PM

I have a big bench swager--never used it. I hammer all the aluminum stops on the snares,cable restraints ,slidewires,and cable stakes.
Why do I still hammer? because I have never had a customer call me and tell me one of the stops failed.
I do use the special tool on the break away ferrules and that is a type of swager--but it is needed to get the correct breakaway poundage.
Remeber using a 2 pound hammer--helps build arm strength.-LOL
Tom
Posted By: Newt

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/04/21 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Teacher
I have breakaway “s” attached to all locks. The stop was the big aluminum stops available thru Cumberlands. In the past, I flattened them with a hammer. Now I’m mashing them with a bench swager. This is the one that failed.

On about half of the snares made, I’ve put a steel stop at the end of the cable where it passes thru the breakaway. These stops are threaded and really bite . They’re a bit stiff for the swager so I beat them on with a hammer.

I’ve got some of your snares, Newt. Unless you’re using a different ferrule than I have, you’ve got to be one strong son-of-a-gun to pull that loop so tight!

I'v got a pice of steel,with a notch cut in it,mounted to my bench,the cable fits in the notch. Then I can grab the cable with both hands and give it a sharp pull.
Posted By: Wife

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/05/21 11:41 AM

Tom, ,,, or you can get a strong arm AND tennis elbow................... LOL. Same end stop slippage has happened to me using my bench swagger [Linked Image]
when using 8-10' extensions in the open trails. Had a coon do it right before my eyes when he bailed off a creek bank (big 25 # coon) and a coyote did it before I arrived once so I had to catch him again with another one 200 yards away a month later. I hammer stops now or triple crimp (especially 1X19 cable).... the mike
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/05/21 08:02 PM

With the aluminum stop ends I leave a little extra cable sticking out when swagging them I squeeze both ends then the middle where it rises up a bit, the double ends increase the holding power by creating angles that increase the holding power like stated above. Steel ends are no better from my experience the stake ends pull out before most breakaways will.

Your swagger should have a check gauge that comes with it to insure it crimping properly I had a pivot pin break once and had to replace it to get it to work right.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/06/21 01:08 AM

I still pound all my aluminum stops on. I use 1x19 5/64 cable and I still haven't had problems with any of the critters I have caught. I have used these for many - many years.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/06/21 03:30 AM

I abandoned aluminum stops and annealed nuts years ago. "Threaded" mini steel stops are #1 if properly swaged. Yes, I said swaged. That's tough on the swager but they don't fail. Hammering on any kind of end stop is a gamble. I never wanted the bulk of methods like doubling through a ferrule, nor did I want frayed cable ends sticking out to tangle in fur.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/06/21 09:53 AM

Backroads are you using two stops on the end like some others do?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 05/06/21 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Backroads are you using two stops on the end like some others do?

No just one on each end
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 07/06/21 06:53 PM

If it's just one time, I wouldn't worry about it
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 07/14/21 02:30 AM

Since almost every snare I use, except for mink, is 1X19, I double all stops and ferrules.
1X19 is slick cable and big beaver and coyote can on occasion 'pop' a single one-off.
I still hammer mine flat. Extra insurance.
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, IMO
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Snare Endstop Failure - 07/14/21 03:34 AM

Any stop that has to support a load and isn’t supposed to move is always threaded on my gear.

I like the mini steel cable ends like the snare shop sells.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums