Home

TRAP DIPS!!!

Posted By: chicken

TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/04/21 07:44 PM

I have been using Full Metal Jacket - Great results!!!

I have also heard of folks using some kind of ( ZEPS FLOOR WAX ???)

Would like some more info on this. Is it the same thing??
Posted By: The Beav

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/04/21 07:49 PM

FMJ is nothing but a commercial floor wax.
Posted By: nov1181

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/05/21 02:13 AM

I have used it many times. Can pm me if you want on some items I have learned with it. I also am working with using a acrylic finish and boil with old wood crystals. So far seems to dye them black as can be and coats themselves very well. Read on an old trapper doing similar but I am trying a few new items with it. Anyhow sorry for long answer in short yes I have used it and it seemed to work and hold up well.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/05/21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
FMJ is nothing but a commercial floor wax.

X2. Beav is correct. I know of a Government coyote trapper that use’s Zeps. He catchs 500 plus a year on coyotes. So i would say it works good as FMJ

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/05/21 02:52 PM

Z.R.C. also works, but cost is higher. Tom Miranda also spoke of it in his coyote book. Just some out of the box ideas is all.
Posted By: Crortvedt05

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/06/21 01:52 PM

Interesting to know that’s all FMJ is, thanks! Anyone know what the make up is of speed dip?

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/06/21 02:33 PM

Do you think that these trap dips where created by some Chemical engineers just for traps? No they were used for other things and just re labeled as trap dips.
If you do a search and look up Memphis Net and twine you will find where they sell 2 types of net dip. One being latex and the other is a asphalt based dip. Anyone ever seal a driveway? What If you cut that driveway sealer with some type of fuel ?
I don't know what kind of paint Is used to coat steel I beams but the stuff Is just about bullet proof. Can that be used as a trap dip?

How much do you think It would cost to hire a chemical engineer to create a "Trap Dip"? and then set up a plant to manufacture It and bottle It?
Posted By: canebrake

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/06/21 02:53 PM

Yes, I use Zep's high traffic floor polish. It works well.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/06/21 06:04 PM

How long do you air out your canine traps after dipping?
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/06/21 08:34 PM

Always wondered what that "green" paint is on rebar that the highway dept. uses

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/06/21 10:01 PM

Just do a search On Green Re Bar Paint.
Posted By: KSlongliner

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/08/21 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by canebrake

Do you just pour it in a 5 gal bucket, then dip them and let dry with your floor wax? What kind of finish does it leave? Would it melt in hot weather like a regular waxed trap, since it is floor wax?

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/09/21 02:11 AM

I have dipped my traps in F.M.J. for years!!
I hang em on a bail for a week or two...
Then in a tote they go till needd.

But I always dip in the heat of the summer...
Posted By: canebrake

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/09/21 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by KSlongliner

Do you just pour it in a 5 gal bucket, then dip them and let dry with your floor wax? What kind of finish does it leave? Would it melt in hot weather like a regular waxed trap, since it is floor wax?

Yes, just pour some in a bucket, dip them well, and hang them to air out and dry for a couple days and you're good to go.

It leaves a thin, shiny, tough coating on the traps. Never noticed any melting.

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/10/21 04:53 PM

I have let mine hang outside for a couple of weeks.

last year I painted a few - then dipped them.. waiting to see if I like that idea or not...
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/10/21 06:33 PM

I used FMJ for years. For you guys that use it, how often did you re-dip them in FMJ (or the floor wax). Every year or something different?

I'm going back to dye and wax. I don't have a great reason other than I wanted to get back to old school.
Posted By: Sheepwool

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/10/21 11:44 PM

I use a product for my cable restraints that I use in my contracting business. We use a product called Seal Krete Original as a sealer for galvanized metal, weathered painted steel, and vertical concrete surfaces to promote adhesion of the top coats we apply.This product also works on dyed, dipped, or painted traps. This product is an Acrylic that is thinner than floor wax. It is applied by spray application when used in the contracting business but is used as a dip for trapping time. $15.00 a gallon at big box lumber yards.

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/14/21 12:21 PM

BC I let them dry for two days if it is hot but we have minimal humidity up here. Then I dip again. I have done up to three dips mainly to test and see if there is any benefit. Not sure I would say it doesn’t have a huge benefit but the coating was super strong even when I used salt as antifreeze.

For doing the dye and wax I can agree with you fully. With all the new in the world now and most of it in my opinion sucking I love doing my trapping the old way if nothing else but to know it’s one thing that we keep alive and going.
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/14/21 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Blaine County
I used FMJ for years. For you guys that use it, how often did you re-dip them in FMJ (or the floor wax). Every year or something different?

I'm going back to dye and wax. I don't have a great reason other than I wanted to get back to old school.

I redip every year. When season over. I power wash all of them and get the dip off. I like to paint my traps after the power wash. I go way to far with it. But I paint them all camo. Than dip in fmj sometime in September. And I'm telling you. That glowing camo on them.......you want even want to use them in the field. Want to display them on your wall. Look gorgeous
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/14/21 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by plainstrapping25
Originally Posted by Blaine County

I redip every year. When season over. I power wash all of them and get the dip off. I like to paint my traps after the power wash. I go way to far with it. But I paint them all camo. Than dip in fmj sometime in September. And I'm telling you. That glowing camo on them.......you want even want to use them in the field. Want to display them on your wall. Look gorgeous

Can you post a camo trap picture?

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/14/21 06:14 PM

I will try. Not very good with technology. Lol

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/14/21 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by KSlongliner

I have wondered same. I wait til sometime in September. When it's not scorching hot. Generally on a cool day. It just glows. But the thing to it is. Idk if its longevity is a strong point. Speaking of fmj.

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/14/21 06:19 PM

Assuming floor was and fmj is the samething.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/14/21 06:22 PM

I will try. Not very good with technology. Lol

Yeah-posting a picture on hear is pretty interesting!
Posted By: Mac

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/14/21 10:20 PM

I am always interested in a "best trap dip" post. Why, because even as pretty much a hobby trapper the last 50 or so year, I dread the job and time spent cleaning traps the traditional way and then dying and waxing. It works, and works well, but I am always thinking there must be an easier way. Evidently I am poor at time management because I never seem to have enough time for for everything that needs to get done around home and for trapping, and still work. Admittedly I do not have the drive and energy I once did..

I am pretty friendly with a few really good trappers, and a couple of real good trappers that post on this forum, that successfully use fuel based cold dip. I have been a bit surprised to not see anyone jumping in on this thread with an opinion about fuel based dips.

Mac
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/14/21 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sheepwool
I use a product for my cable restraints that I use in my contracting business. We use a product called Seal Krete Original as a sealer for galvanized metal, weathered painted steel, and vertical concrete surfaces to promote adhesion of the top coats we apply.This product also works on dyed, dipped, or painted traps. This product is an Acrylic that is thinner than floor wax. It is applied by spray application when used in the contracting business but is used as a dip for trapping time. $15.00 a gallon at big box lumber yards.

I am intrigued by this. Tell us more.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/15/21 01:02 AM

Assuming floor was and fmj is the samething.

Zeps and FMJ have almost identical chemical makeup from my research

I used some Zeps on some traps but have never used FMJ so I cannot comment on if they work the same
Posted By: DanN

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/15/21 02:00 AM

The best dip I ever used was Aaron's trap dip, which was similar to speed dip , but unlike speed dip Aaron's didn't suck. Unfortunately Aaron's hasn't been made in years.
Posted By: put'n the dog on

Re: TRAP DIPS!!! - 05/22/21 02:59 PM

You can look up the MSDS for them both they are about the same. It is nice to buy the gallon of Zep floor polish at Lowe's cheaper than FMJ. It is a hard finish.

Not as rewarding as dye and wax. I'm going back to this year. My daughter has taken a big interest in trapping with me. So I want to show her how to dye and wax.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums