Home

Storing Traps

Posted By: Spade

Storing Traps - 05/16/21 02:54 PM

I store my traps in plastic totes. Yesterday when getting some out to work on, I noticed a lot of moisture in the bottom of of the tote. So much that I soaked a towel wiping it out. Any recommendations on how to keep the totes dry? I currently use cedar boughs in the bottom and place the dyed and waxed traps on top. I have never had this problem before that I can re-call.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Storing Traps - 05/16/21 02:58 PM

Store them in a dark place where the temp doesn't change so much
And up off of the concrete
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Storing Traps - 05/16/21 03:36 PM

Dry your cedar first.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Storing Traps - 05/16/21 05:44 PM

I feel like a turd for saying this but I leave mine in the shop in an open, wooden box and cats run across them and exhaust from my truck hits them. I don’t have any problems. Lol.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Storing Traps - 05/16/21 05:50 PM

Usmc47, me too. Traps are bundled and hanging in garage. I back my truck into the stall and exhaust is right there.
No problems.
But on other hand, where I live I honestly think scent is not an issue at all. There is a house or two at least on every mile sectio . Bits of trash here and there, farmland primarily with some weedy fencerows and draws. Between ag fuel drippings, chemicals applied to fields, and the constant exposure to people in our population densities, the odors from my garage can't be a threat to coyotes here.
Now, the pickup that stops suddenly in the road and driver leans out and shoots at them, thats the coyotes biggest threat here.
Jim
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Storing Traps - 05/16/21 06:14 PM

Mine are still in the same mineral bucket as the day I pulled them last season. That's probably how they'll be till I set them if I set them this year. I gave up on caring quite a while ago. Coyotes don't seem to mind.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Storing Traps - 05/16/21 06:20 PM

I store mine in 30 barrels with sage on the bottom, I keep lid on and a cut off barrel on top as a double lid with no problems.
Pull them out in September and wax them.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Storing Traps - 05/16/21 08:45 PM

The moisture probably came from the cedar. If you are looking for scent free, take cedar out. You don’t need it if you treated your traps appropriately. If you are looking to scent your traps with cedar, drop some cedar green tips into your wax pot before you dip the traps, or do as others said and thoroughly dry the cedar bough first.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Storing Traps - 05/16/21 08:55 PM

Store mine in plastic tool box totes. I to had the moisture problem. If the tote is sealed up tight you will get condensation in the tote. If you crack the lid mice will get in and that is a problem. I drilled two 1/4” vent holes in the side just under the lid. Problem solved. Been doing it that way for about 10 years. Also had the same problem with metal boxes. Solved it the same way.
In my environment if you put anything in the tote with the traps it needs to be bone dry or again there will be moisture problems.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Storing Traps - 05/16/21 11:22 PM

Mine are hanging from the rafters. If they are in storage they go in totes placed on a high shelf.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Storing Traps - 05/17/21 12:47 AM

Hang in my shop after I spray paint (in spring).
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Storing Traps - 05/17/21 10:16 AM

Old milk crates. Lots of airflow.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Storing Traps - 05/17/21 02:11 PM

Thanks everyone for the info, checked all of the totes they all had alot of moisture in them. Back to cleaning.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Storing Traps - 05/17/21 03:10 PM

I'll try small air holes in my trap totes.
I always just thought with our humidity and moisture wicking up through the concrete, that when the sun would come through the window and hit the cooled tote, it was the cause of my condensation.
Time to experiment.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Storing Traps - 05/17/21 05:08 PM

Milk crates here also.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Storing Traps - 05/17/21 07:21 PM

If their not hanging on a wall, they're in milk crates. Come fall they get put in totes after they have been dyed and waxed.
Posted By: Flint Lock

Re: Storing Traps - 05/19/21 03:10 AM

I think the OP's problem was moisture from the boughs condensing inside the container. This year when I put traps away I bedded them inside a plastic tote in aspen chips used for guinea pig and hamster cages that I pricked up at a pet store. I figure the wood chips will help stabilize moisture content and absorb any odors. Been a few months now and so far no problems.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Storing Traps - 05/19/21 11:23 AM

Good news sir
© 2024 Trapperman Forums