Home

Number 3&4 single long springs

Posted By: Mad Scientist

Number 3&4 single long springs - 06/04/21 09:15 PM

I have 5 #3 victor and 2 #4 Blake and lambs single long springs.Anyone know what these are good for?The springs are kinda weak so I was thinking muskrat. Maybe a good muskrat coon trap in possible theft area.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Number 3&4 single long springs - 06/04/21 10:47 PM

I would say they are a little big for rats even for weak springs. Might work for coon if you get them in the water and drown them right away. I think they would work for beaver with a hind leg catch even though a person doesnt target the. But if you get them above the knee and into deep water they should work fine. JMO
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Number 3&4 single long springs - 06/04/21 11:24 PM

If the springs are weak you could buy new springs.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: Number 3&4 single long springs - 06/05/21 12:00 AM

If you bought them used someone probably removed the second spring to make them easier to set. I picked up some single spring bridger #5s that way. Just replace the second spring and they are good to go.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Number 3&4 single long springs - 06/05/21 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by walleye101
If you bought them used someone probably removed the second spring to make them easier to set. I picked up some single spring bridger #5s that way. Just replace the second spring and they are good to go.

Never understood why anyone would think a single spring would be easier to set than a double longspring. You have nothing to grab on the other side of the trap on single longspring.

I am unaware if they made single spring #4. They did make some #3 sized single springs, often called a #2 1/2 in this country (not sure if it was actually termed that or if it was just local slang). One of those rides around in the toolbox of my houndtruck. Put a bobcat in a hole and I can wire that trap to a long pole or branch, stick it down the hole and the bobcat will slap it, getting caught and then you can pull him out. That's the theory anyways, only ever actually used it once. A 25 pound bobcat on the end of a limber Cascara pole is kind of like having salmon on a light trout rod.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Number 3&4 single long springs - 06/05/21 01:47 PM

Wasn’t a 2.5 longspring a three with just one spring? I have two I use in the water. Odd looking traps but they work.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Number 3&4 single long springs - 06/05/21 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by kytrapper
Wasn’t a 2.5 longspring a three with just one spring? I have two I use in the water. Odd looking traps but they work.

sounds about right two me. Cause a #2 is just a #1.5 but with two springs

Re: Number 3&4 single long springs - 06/05/21 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by kytrapper

Yes, I have some. The springs on mine are amazingly stiff. Also, you cannot add a spring if I remember correctly. They are different jaws than the #3. Not hard to replace the spring though if you can find replacements.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Number 3&4 single long springs - 06/05/21 06:01 PM

2.5 was a otter trap many years ago the problem with changing or adding of the springs is like most parts the price of the parts often exceed the worth of the trap and they a hard to find even.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Number 3&4 single long springs - 06/05/21 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
2.5 was a otter trap many years ago the problem with changing or adding of the springs is like most parts the price of the parts often exceed the worth of the trap and they a hard to find even.

X2

Re: Number 3&4 single long springs - 06/05/21 09:39 PM

https://sterlingfur.com/spring-long-spring-victor-trap-parts/

This is a good source for replacement springs. They are Victors so you can easily spruce those up. They may work on BandL? You’d have to compare them.
© 2021 Trapperman Forums