Home

Instructions on putting up Coyote's

Posted By: nate

Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/08/21 01:30 AM

Any one have suggestions on vidio for coyote. Washing drying scraping and putting up coyotes.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/08/21 01:31 AM

Hal Sullivan’s fur handling video.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/08/21 01:50 AM

Posted By: red mt

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/08/21 03:56 AM

Nate [Linked Image]
There plenty of guys on this site that do a wonderful job .
But you can 't make silk purse out of a show's ear.
In other words keep your expectations real.
One of the couple of best in the country imo is
Coloradocat makes a heck of a stretcher also
And MonsterToms makes a heck of a fur drum someday I hope to get one . To mention a couple of guys.

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/08/21 12:23 PM

How about fleshing knives,is there a big difference in them? Do they all work equal? It's definitely nice to only buy once.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/08/21 01:16 PM

Top Lot Stretcher's Leon Windschil has a excellent coyote handling video. Leon is an award winning fur handler. As for fleshing knives, save your money buying the cheap ones and buy a top notch knife from Lee Steinmeyer.
Posted By: KJD357

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/08/21 08:13 PM

I’ve got a necker, it took a lot of sharpening to get it up to snuff. The thing I hate about it is, when your hands get a greased up the round plastic handles allow it to kinda roll in your hands. I can see where the flat handles could be a little easier to hang on to.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/08/21 09:34 PM

Lee's knives, or Post....Those are upper end.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/08/21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by nate
Any one have suggestions on vidio for coyote. Washing drying scraping and putting up coyotes.

If you can swing it, Coyote Days will teach and out fit you leaps and bounds.

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/09/21 03:08 AM

Thanks to everyone, wish you all the best.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/09/21 12:16 PM

Yep nate, not all knives are alike for sure.
I even used to keep a pair of channel locks close by to grab and peel that membrane layer from certain areas.
That video link provided does a nice job.
Jim
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/09/21 01:32 PM

[quote=nate]How about fleshing knives,is there a big difference in them? Do they all work equal? It's definitely nice to only buy once. [/quot

Yes there's a huge difference, I used a necker for years. Lee Steinmyer's parralel is much better. The design makes a big difference

There's a fine line between fleshing enough and not cutting the hair roots.
smile
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/09/21 02:16 PM

You can buy the top of the line forms and the top of the line knives but It's not going to make a $20.00 coyote Into a $40.00 coyote.
We should all do our best to do a good job when putting up the fur we catch. But the bottom line Is fur quality not the put up that sells those coyotes.

We have very poor quality coyotes here In WI. I would probably be better off selling my coyotes green then spending the time scraping and boarding and turning and heating my fur shed to finish my coyotes. But I just feel It's part of the game and It also gives me the option to use the auction system versus selling local.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/09/21 10:25 PM

Ive been selling green for years because I didn't really have a good facility to put up and hang boards. I used to put them all up many years ago.
I am going to go back to putting up this year. Can't wait. I like getting it done start to finish myself, probably just a pride thing.
Jim
Posted By: Boco

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/10/21 03:12 AM

Jab,I enjoy putting up beaver,as long as I dont swamp myself.
I keep the skinning separate from the boarding-I skin and freeze the pelts when trapping then board them later on at my leisure.
Sometimes get swamped if trying to meet a fur pickup deadline,then its not so enjoyable.
Sometimes i will hold my spring pelts over the summer in a freezer,then board them in early fall just before trapping season.It gets me in the groove to run the lines.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/23/21 03:55 PM

Well, seeing as fleshing knives are part of this conversation, I have the following question (which I know will cause multiple opinioned answers).

I will be attending the NTA convention in Spencer in July. Have also decided to start putting up my coyotes this year (haven't decided on doing coon).

There are many good fleshing knives on the market. Some slightly shorter blade, some plastic handle, some rubber. At least one blade curves away from the user (Caribou), most seem to curve toward the user.

Pros and cons of whatever anyone wants to comment about. I'm old, so I'd like to buy only one for the rest of my useful years. Thanks.

Let's just stick to the fleshing attributes. We have $30-40 coyotes here. At best.
Posted By: 3togo

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/23/21 11:52 PM

ttt
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/27/21 02:49 PM

I very seldom use the sharp edge of my Necker to flesh coyotes. You get the membrane rolling the fleshing goes pretty good.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 06/27/21 03:13 PM

X2 on Flipper 56's suggestion, Coon Creek Outdoors, Professional Fur Handling Series!
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 07/04/21 01:20 PM

All coyotes are coyotes, but they are not the same! The northern types have thinner skins, and scrape much easier than the commercial type, I commonly call rubber band coyotes. The types here in Ks, can be both, but way more of the later, and you will find a few of the "rubber bands" even up on the high line! One thing I will pas on that helps when processing those types is, when skinning on a skinner, don't cut through the red meat that starts at the tail. Take a few minutes to work it down and leave it attatched, cause when pulling it down on the skinner, most or all of it will stay on the carcass and will eliminate the "rubber band" effect. Try it, you'll like the results when it comes time to flesh. If your skinning without the aid of a skinning machine, I doubt you will be able to pull the skin off by leaving that red meat on the carcass.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Instructions on putting up Coyote's - 07/08/21 02:36 PM

Lots of good points and pointers.
As lee stated coarse hair or fur equals using Lee's words ruberband type. I use too flesh a coyote with a pocket knife get it started and pull the membrane . Takes about 20 minutes , fleshing a coyotes takes 15 minutes for me dull side only on the knife , I own Lee knife and a necker.
If you got big hands you will like Lee's knife very much.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums