Home

TS-85 for wolves

Posted By: bob maier

TS-85 for wolves - 06/15/21 03:32 PM

Ok guys thinking about trying some TS-85 for wolves. What kinda mods do I need to do to these traps, besides welding offsets and jaw laminations?
Posted By: sneaky

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/15/21 04:16 PM

If you don't already have some then just buy some already modified from Dan Helterline in MT. Everything is already done that needs to be done.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/15/21 06:50 PM

I prefer offsets cut out rather than welded lugs, but either will work. I had a neighbor with a milling machine mill 1/4 offsets in some for me, and then laminated with flat bar rather than round, but again, either will work. Buying from Dan is the easiest if you just want some traps to use. If you are on a budget and like to tinker and mod stuff yourself you can do it yourself though. I would recommend if you are going to do the mods yourself to buy a trap or traps from Dan for a template and save yourself a lot of headscratching on what exactly you want to do.

Not strictly necessary but I really like Dan's lug on the bottom of the jaw to hold the pan. Which he freely admits to stealing the idea from Kendall of NO BS traps. I in turn stole it myself when I modded my own. It causes the pan to set lower than the jaws, nicely.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/15/21 09:27 PM

Springs on the are barley adequate to hold some of the beavers they get a hold of. I'd look into their lock up with the levers too if I ever wanted to try them for wolves.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/15/21 09:27 PM

From my dealings and other that have dealt with TS85s on the beaver line that would be the last trap I would use for trapping wolves.
Posted By: fossil2

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/16/21 01:52 AM

adc and beav,,its obvious neither of you have ever even seen a wolf modified 85. dans traps are 1/4" milled offset, laminated reinforced jaws, lowered pan and 4 coiled, with an outrigger/spring keeper that bolts to the frame x-piece. extreme over kill for a beaver. you wont set them by stepping on the levers and pulling up on the jaws if you weigh less than 200 pounds, and then its still a struggle. never heard of a lost wolf or lion in an 85.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/16/21 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by fossil2
adc and beav,,its obvious neither of you have ever even seen a wolf modified 85. dans traps are 1/4" milled offset, laminated reinforced jaws, lowered pan and 4 coiled, with an outrigger/spring keeper that bolts to the frame x-piece. extreme over kill for a beaver. you wont set them by stepping on the levers and pulling up on the jaws if you weigh less than 200 pounds, and then its still a struggle. never heard of a lost wolf or lion in an 85.

Sounds like he may as well build the traps from scratch by the time he does all that to make them worthwhile.

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/16/21 10:43 AM

Couple of other little mods he does to them also, but other than milling the offset everything is pretty simple and requires no special tools other than a welder. I've built a couple traps from scratch and I've done the mods. The mods are way simpler.
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/18/21 01:15 AM

I modify the TS85s for mountain lion trappers. Laminate the jaws tip to tip, re-enforce the welds, add a longer spring pin, 4 coils and a keeper plate. Very strong traps.[Linked Image]
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/18/21 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by ETexTrapper
I modify the TS85s for mountain lion trappers. Laminate the jaws tip to tip, re-enforce the welds, add a longer spring pin, 4 coils and a keeper plate. Very strong traps.[Linked Image]

Out of curiosity, what do those mods cost, per trap?

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/18/21 05:21 AM

Around $35 per trap.
Posted By: fossil2

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/18/21 06:29 PM

very nice job on the mods. you obviously take pride in your work.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/18/21 06:43 PM

Nice work On the mods.

If I ever draw a wolf tag here In Wi I wouldn't hesitate to use My Duke 650s.

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/18/21 07:01 PM

Thanks. Appreciate that.
Posted By: rosscoak

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/24/21 07:29 AM

I love the modified ones from Dan. He said it's about 10 to 12 bucks to modify them if you can weld.
I've caught several wolves this last season in them. Hands down my favorite wolf trap, even over the AK #9. I had 2 cerakoted as we live and trap in the salt, and they are holding up real well
[Linked Image]
Posted By: skunkscent99

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/24/21 11:22 PM

Talked with Dan at the western nta but forgot to ask him where to find his traps for sale, anyone have a site to find them at?
Posted By: Fiske

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 06/25/21 12:47 AM

call Dan

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 07/05/21 09:02 PM

Modded a dozen TS_85s today [Linked Image]
Milled offset, flat bar lamination and four coiled
[Linked Image]
Keystock welded to spring lever so loose jaw lays flat
[Linked Image]
Keystock welded on bottom of jaw for lowered pan catch.

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 07/05/21 11:44 PM

Nice job on the mods.

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/12/22 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
Modded a dozen TS_85s today [Linked Image]
Milled offset, flat bar lamination and four coiled
[Linked Image]
Keystock welded to spring lever so loose jaw lays flat
[Linked Image]
Keystock welded on bottom of jaw for lowered pan catch.

I need to send you mine and let you mod them for me lol. You know, since you aren't busy guiding or anything grin
Posted By: MChewk

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/12/22 12:29 PM

Rodney does some fantastic trap mod work. Good looking traps and wolf guys.

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/13/22 11:33 AM

Sorry Sneaky. I haven't been home in four days and pretty sure the wife has a list that I'm not going to get done. I'll be in and out for the next two months, mostly out. I like tinkering when I have time and really should buy some more to mod up for myself when I have nothing better (or at least that I would rather) to do.

I think the new Duke 850s are going to take over a lot of the low end wolf trap market. And rightfully so, they are a pretty nice trap for the money, just make sure the trap will go off before the pan bottoms out (seen two out of a half dozen my dad bought that wouldn't out of the box). They don't have as powerful of springs to come up through the crust though as a four coiled TS85. I really like my modded TS85s over anything but a NO BS or a Koro.

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/13/22 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
Sorry Sneaky. I haven't been home in four days and pretty sure the wife has a list that I'm not going to get done. I'll be in and out for the next two months, mostly out. I like tinkering when I have time and really should buy some more to mod up for myself when I have nothing better (or at least that I would rather) to do.

I think the new Duke 850s are going to take over a lot of the low end wolf trap market. And rightfully so, they are a pretty nice trap for the money, just make sure the trap will go off before the pan bottoms out (seen two out of a half dozen my dad bought that wouldn't out of the box). They don't have as powerful of springs to come up through the crust though as a four coiled TS85. I really like my modded TS85s over anything but a NO BS or a Koro.

The new NO BS Wolf Jrs I think are the trap to beat in that low to mid priced range. The 850s may have it beat on jaw spread but that's about it. No mods needed and plenty strong. I've got a half dozen TS85s here if you decide you want some more. Right now I'm enjoying some long waited rain, tracks tomorrow will be fresh.
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/13/22 10:59 PM

I got a few of the Bridger #5 dogless from MTP to try for wolves. Very impressed. Similar dimensions to the 750 and better built than the Duke 850s, IMO at a similar price. I'd love to have a few dozen for early season. I really don't care for the floppy pans on those 850s. The modded TS 85s are still my go-to for crusty conditions.

Bridger #5 dogless and Duke 850:
[Linked Image]

750; Bridger 5; 850; TS85:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MChewk

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/13/22 11:27 PM

Jump, Sneaky andBearcat, have you ever used. JC Conners Jake Trap and caught a wolf?
Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/14/22 01:20 AM

Nice work Rodney.

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/14/22 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Jump, Sneaky andBearcat, have you ever used. JC Conners Jake Trap and caught a wolf?

No, but I've caught a wolf in a NO BS K9 Extreme with JC Conner rod swivels! [Linked Image]

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/14/22 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jumperzee
I got a few of the Bridger #5 dogless from MTP to try for wolves. Very impressed. Similar dimensions to the 750 and better built than the Duke 850s, IMO at a similar price. I'd love to have a few dozen for early season. I really don't care for the floppy pans on those 850s. The modded TS 85s are still my go-to for crusty conditions.

Bridger #5 dogless and Duke 850:
[Linked Image]

750; Bridger 5; 850; TS85:

[Linked Image]

I looked at those Bridger #5s the other day on MTP. Which trap you got waiting on that wolf at that scent post? Even more important, which one can you set faster? Lol

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/14/22 11:17 AM

I've never even seen a Jake trap. Read quite a bit about them and know they are very popular back east, but I don't know anyone out west that has owned one. I know guys have held them fine in K9 Extremes and MB650s, but the foot is about the size of the trap, so you are already looking at a lot of toe catches, get a few inches of snow over that...

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/14/22 11:25 AM

I grew up using floppy pan traps, so I guess that doesn't bother me. I do like the dogless for wolves though, I feel like you are going to have bent dogs almost every catch with the Dukes, even with those rod dogs. Never thought I'd like dogless traps until I tried them, but once I tried them I like them. No mods needed on that Bridger 5? The ones I've looked at that guys got were usually the beaver version and needed quite a bit of work. There are places I won't set the TS85s. I love'em but they are awful big and powerful around nontargets.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/14/22 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by bob maier
Ok guys thinking about trying some TS-85 for wolves. What kinda mods do I need to do to these traps, besides welding offsets and jaw laminations?

Music wire springs, to start.

( I wanted to say : a different trap, but held my tongue )
crazy

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/15/22 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by LT GREY
Originally Posted by bob maier

Music wire springs, to start.

( I wanted to say : a different trap, but held my tongue )
crazy

Nah, I four coil'em with all TS85 springs.

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/15/22 07:38 PM

Bearcat, I four coil them with TS85 springs also.
Posted By: MNTrapper21

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/15/22 10:18 PM

I personally would just go with the mb 750 wolf trap. Only a few bucks more than a standard ts85 and no modding needed.

Re: TS-85 for wolves - 09/15/22 10:57 PM

I run both, no comparison. The TS85 is A LOT more trap, much better in the freeze/thaw, crusty conditions and having to come up through a bunch of snow. On the other hand, it is a BIG trap and will hold onto whatever it grabs, the 750 is a better choice in some situations and areas because of that. Personally I've found the 750 to be the worst of any trap I've tried to freeze up, they do bed easy, and take less waxed dirt than any other trap I've used though, and are ready to go out of the box, they have some other issues that bother some people more than others, but if they go off and grab ahold of a wolf they will hold it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums