Home

Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink

Posted By: Flint Lock

Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/13/21 03:16 AM

I'm considering the NO BS KO 1.5 traps for coon & mink, and as a back-up for fox & fisher, maybe even skunk. They are available both laminated double jaw, and just double jaw. Thoughts on laminated jaws for those target animals?
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/13/21 04:10 AM

Won't hurt anything. Seen alot of mink guys moving to laminated traps , apparently helps keep toe catches . Regardless no much of a downside with lams
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/13/21 04:32 AM

I see no need for lamination on any trap.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/13/21 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I see no need for lamination on any trap.

Yes beav we know
Posted By: fossil2

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/13/21 06:25 AM

the best jaw surface for coon is a flat square surface, not a rounded smooth jaw face. with a wider laminated jaw face, you might need to increase spring strength on the coon, to maintain holding power. coons foot is tapered and very slippery. lamination or a double jaw configuration is fine for mink, but not necessary if the mink can be held in 8 or more inches of water. 1 1/2 duke is a good all-round trap for your species, with a nice squared jaw face.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/13/21 10:47 AM

Ive done well with lams on coon traps. Totally see the merits on land traps vs water traps, but hard to beat lams. Swivrls of course way important on coon traps, lams and swivels and you are set.
Coon are bread and butter of our fur here.
Jim
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/13/21 11:11 AM

I would only suggest you consider buying a trap Made in the USA...
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/13/21 11:14 AM

Chew guards to the outside of jaws and light trigger for me.
Or dbl jaw.
No experience with no bs.
Dry land, skinny water, deep water, all good.

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/13/21 06:14 PM

The only time I ever laminated a trap was when I was trapping live market critters.Other then that if the critter Is going on a board a nice square jaw face Is the way to go. No slipping of a foot with a nice squared up jaw face.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/13/21 10:16 PM

I've never been on the lam.....Well, there was that one time, Lol.

Seriously, there's just no need IMO, 4 coiling neither....YMMV.

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/14/21 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by rendezvous
I would only suggest you consider buying a trap Made in the USA...

Such as?
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/15/21 04:38 PM

I personally don't like them for fox. I have the double jaws and I think between the big pan and the double jaws it gets too many toe catches which can mean losses. They will hold very well.. it's not a matter of strength.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/15/21 04:56 PM

Trust me if you've ever been snapped by a NO BS double jaw 1 1/2 you will quickly realize you could laminate it with 1/2" rebar and it won't need extra strength, and yes the 1 1/2's are made in Korea.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/15/21 05:07 PM

I don't own a foot hold trap, save antiques, that aren't laminated.
Every one I set is laminated

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/15/21 06:54 PM

So why do you feel you need lamination's.
Posted By: FDChief

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/15/21 07:50 PM

This. Regular jaw with beefy outside lams. I’m laying off coon and mink this year but when they return on our radar, No BS 1 1/2” w/outside land is the steel we will be slinging. 8’ cable attached to a window weight and you can get an awful lot of blind sets out in a day.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/15/21 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
So why do you feel you need lamination's.

Because you don't like them. whistle
Posted By: Coilspring67

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/16/21 01:47 AM

Laminations help with foot/leg damage period by distributing the jaw force over a wider contact area.. love em or hate em, laminations go hand in hand with BMP's If your using a drowning rig you surely don't need laminations, but it's never a bad idea especially for the outsiders that hate trappers. That's my opinion.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/17/21 01:01 AM

The only traps I have laminated are Bridger #3 but the are also 4 coiled. I am going to try laminating a few #2 Bridger traps and those will be 4 coiled also. My opinion is I don't think I would 4 coil traps if the were not laminated. I think a double jaw trap might be better for coons to help keeping them from doing much chewing.

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/17/21 03:22 AM

I like the double jaw for preventing chewing. I've been told a laminated trap should have four coils to accommodate for the heavier weight and slower close time. The NO BS traps are heavy to begin with and are both double jaw and laminated but with only two springs. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/17/21 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Flint Lock
I like the double jaw for preventing chewing. I've been told a laminated trap should have four coils to accommodate for the heavier weight and slower close time. The NO BS traps are heavy to begin with and are both double jaw and laminated but with only two springs. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Get whacked by one you’ll be happy it only has 2 that little trap doesn’t need 4 coils it plenty stout enough.
Posted By: Minklongliner

Re: Thoughts on laminated jaws for coon & mink - 08/17/21 08:54 PM

1.5 ko has number. 2 springs on them they are fast out of the box i got a pile of the double jaws laminated coated they are my go to water trap for coon and mink and I catch a pile of coon and mink every year with them the lamination is cheap insurance for may be a toe catch on coon i like extra surface area with double jaws setup
© 2024 Trapperman Forums