Home

I'm changing baits and lures

Posted By: Dstone1992

I'm changing baits and lures - 09/05/21 09:34 PM

So after last year I'm changing baits and lures. A guy that was making the stuff I used changed his recipe and I'm not happy about it so I'm going a diffrent route and I bought a bunch of diffrent stuff at the nta and have been ordering some others. What am I missing that you recommend trying for coyote fox and bobcats? I have gusto,(This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) fire, fox frenzy, windwalker, coyote frenzy, widowmaker, 2 rueswatts baits rueswatts bobcat proshot and his cat call, back breaker, fox cream, lone wolf, some of cagingbobcats.com lead in, his cat glad and skunky lure, lennons coyote all call, powder river, and some apple road. I'm running a big line this year and plan on narrowing all of these down to what I decide that I like the best. What's your number 1 go to bait and number 1 go to lure? I know nothing is magic.
Posted By: JBR

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/06/21 12:25 AM

You need some dobbins lures
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/06/21 12:32 AM

I try a new lure or two every year to see what works for me on my line nothing wrong with looking for a new change up to try.
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/06/21 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
I try a new lure or two every year to see what works for me on my line nothing wrong with looking for a new change up to try.

I do samething. 2 years ago I went with pcg. Lady season was o'gormans. Pleased with both. This preseason i got keg creek. Excited for that one. With my predators I go with alot of different stuff. But the others I keep it very simple. And usually just use one. Coon is caverns moonshine. Beaver is Dobbins back breaker. Muskrat is Lennons. And for mink I got about 3 or 4 that are still in trail phase. Lol. Sure I will find one for them too
Posted By: trapperdan93

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/06/21 03:28 AM

As far as bait goes, the commercial bait I've had the most luck with is Powder River by Ogorman. Usually with a shot of coyote urine.

Best lure I've used is either Minnesota Red by Caven or Cat man do by Milligan.

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/06/21 09:50 PM

I'll check out keg creek and I forgot about cat man do I have heard good things about that one
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/06/21 09:53 PM

Mark June's "Silent Stalker", Young Bait & Lure Co. "Ambush, and Winter Wildlife Control's "SmokeHouse Predator Bait." Of the ones you have, Coyote Frenzy and Windowmaker are probably the best in my opinion.
Posted By: LDW

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/06/21 11:35 PM

No B.S. bait, Lethal Injection. The best bait I've ever used. If on location, I just use the bait, no lure or urine. It caught 40 of the 51 coyotes last year for me.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/07/21 12:17 AM

Is hawbakers #1 any good? Muskrat.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/07/21 01:01 AM

Location! Number one important factor on top of lure and bait.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/07/21 12:17 PM

New lures/baits/urines need tested before season in a location were you can see the reaction. Confidents in your attractants is a big deal! Testing gives you a base line to build on in season or not.
Posted By: wytex

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/07/21 02:58 PM

John Graham's Fur Country lures. Tomcat, Deception etc. all good ones.
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/07/21 03:24 PM

widowmaker is some dang good stuff, dobbins bait solution in fresh deer scraps is great and really affordable as it makes a gallon of bait. i like mine in small chunks and i make a year before im gonna use it. this year i got to watch robert wadell at mike volkers place in pearl city and i will be running 50% of my line with his dirthole set where all he does is make a hole with his auger roughly at a 45 degree center of pan around 9inches from the front of the hole trap offset to the left or right couple inches it doesnt matter left or right. then its fresh muskrat or fresh beaver chunks down the hole and a shot of good coyote urine on the back of the hole. no lure nothing fancy and last year during fur season he caught 927 coyotes. 90% of them were caught with this basic dirthole. he says it takes him 1 to 1.5 minutes to get a set in the ground. he gave alot of great insight and shed some light on some things i had questions about. so im going to see how this works this year for me. ive always had a bunch of lures and baits available but when a guy that catches 927 coyotes in a fur season says all he used was fresh meat and urine that says something. LOCATION is the key to success. then having something natural waiting for them with some steel in front of the hole you got'em
Posted By: henpecked1

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/07/21 03:52 PM

Before the start of each season I go over my "lasts years' line which can cover 2 counties and check out my old locations. If the lure and bait I was using is any good the set location will still have activity (droppings, digging, bones and kickbacks), in particular at gang set locations you can see which one is the hottest. This applies to all animals, so the question is why switch lure or bait if it still has a reaction over a years period with the next crop of off spring, if there is no activity then that needs to be considered. I am very old school in lure selection and ingredients and glands are not getting any easier to find, so i ensure the maker has access to what I want to use. Especially good clean urine. 2 adult animal producre 3 to 7 offspring that have never smelled most lures except what you may have left behind. if it aint broke do not fix it.
Posted By: Coilspring67

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/07/21 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫

This right here! if the wind isn't blowing in the direction of the critter.. it ain't gonna work.. period. Now if your seeing prints in mud or snow somewhere close around the set but they aren't committing.. then there might be a problem

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/07/21 11:24 PM

All good posts! Anyone ever use ogormans wolfer scent?
Posted By: strike2x

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/08/21 01:43 AM

Coyote Frenzy with Apple Road horse meat bait
Posted By: jabNE

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/08/21 10:45 AM

Ive had very good luck with Hiawatha valley. Also baits from keg creek and Mr Graham. Not as expensive as some of the others mentioned either. Had good luck making my own too.
Jim
Posted By: btomlin

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/08/21 01:04 PM

I had my best results last year with Backwater Skunk River bait followed by their Slims Best bait.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/08/21 01:29 PM

Quality urine will out perform the best lures/baits in my humble opinion. They can't go by it without urinating. If I had to pick one bait I have really become fond of it would be John Graham's Cat Creek. Marty Smith makes a number of baits I've done well with in the past as well Keg Creek. I generally do not run lure although the prepared baits are a lure.
Posted By: red mt

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/09/21 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by USMC47 🦫

This (like button come in handy)
Posted By: red mt

Re: I'm changing baits and lures - 09/09/21 01:32 PM

Testing lure without trap has some advantages,
Find yourself a good lure maker easy to do business with and use his products, and as John said location is the best lure and bait there is.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums