Home

Skunks and DP’s

Posted By: Muskeg

Skunks and DP’s - 09/07/21 03:48 PM

Looking to get the grandsons a few DPs. They would be just as excited to catch skunks as coons. I’ve never used a DP but I assume a push pull trigger would be a better choice to
Increase chances of catching both.

Is my assumption correct?

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/07/21 03:55 PM

i use duke DPs with pull only triggers and i catch a ton of skunks every year no problem. catfood with bacon grease melted then dumped on catfood and shake the crap outta it and then i toss it in the deep freeze just to get the grease to solidify and be stuck to the catfood. super cheap the kids will love helping make it and best part is its my go to bait for coons. obvisously skunks like it just as much.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/07/21 04:08 PM

I agree with MM. I use pull only triggers and catch skunks too.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/07/21 11:45 PM

Skunks are scratchers it won’t matter my skunk pulled toys across the floor to move them around.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/08/21 09:53 PM

I learned years ago to dig a trench at a slight angle and place the DP in at that angle with the spring to the side or up for best results on skunks.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/09/21 01:42 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plainstrapping25

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/11/21 04:40 PM

I run mostly z traps (push/pull) but also have some dukes out as well. I catch them in both. I only have enough bait to fill only behind trigger. Nothing past that. This season. I going to try something a bit different to try and catch more of them in my dps.
Posted By: Muskeg

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/12/21 02:49 PM

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated
Posted By: Guthrie

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/13/21 01:49 AM

You cannot beat the Coon Dagger as far as DP's go!
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/13/21 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Guthrie
You cannot beat the Coon Dagger as far as DP's go!

Not criticizing here but what makes them so great? Genuinely curious
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/13/21 12:07 PM

If you want skunks opossums and coon with some grey fox thrown in, then yes the push-pull is better. also if you want skunk and opossums in them keeping the trap opening as low as you can increase these catches also. if you want Grey fox there is a different mindset and presentation for them.. only use a little bait or lure in the trap.
Posted By: Newt

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/14/21 01:05 PM

Jonesie
demo's DP traps in depth at our SOUTH JERSEY TRAPPING AND SNARING SCHOOL.

He thinks out of the box. Setting DP's in ways you would never think of.
Here in New Jersey with foot holds banned. We have to think out of the box. Using snares and DP's in ways to fill the void of not being able the foot hold.
When you have been hampered by restrictions. We make do with what we have. Having to "THINK" Makes a better trapper/snareman.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Skunks and DP’s - 09/14/21 02:14 PM

There are those that leave the DP laying loose on the ground. And It does work, but a pull only or of course a push pull DP Is the way to go If you go this route. Coon just like to play around with things.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums