Home

Question about stakes

Posted By: BKS

Question about stakes - 09/09/21 07:44 AM

I am going to buy smooth cold rolled rod to make my ground stakes out of. I am going to buy both 3:8” and 1/2” sizes:
I plan on using the at least some of the 3/8 “ rod in water sets with the HAgz bracket. I am concerned/confused about using that fiberglass rod on it. What happens if a beaver decides he wants to have a bite of carrot and gets his toes in that #11? I also will be using some of that 1/2” for long chaining beaver amd K9 traps.

Anyway can anyone give me a basic breakdown of what lengths of rod stakes they make/keep? Just a rough estimate would be great.

Probably gonna start with around 100’ of each.
Posted By: Mad Scientist

Re: Question about stakes - 09/09/21 11:36 AM

22” is my magic number.Most of my traps have ends that can handle two stakes so if needed I double stake.I use rebar so it may take more length of smooth rod for the same holding power.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Question about stakes - 09/09/21 11:59 AM

Smooth rod I’d go no shorter then 24in with some 30in ones on hand if the shorter stake goes in easily then you know to use a 30in for water trapping.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Question about stakes - 09/09/21 08:36 PM

I think Re-bar will be cheaper, especially if you scrounge it for free at construction sites. comes with the cross hatching to grip the dirt/mud better.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Question about stakes - 09/10/21 02:13 AM

Rebar makes for better stakes. Smooth pull out too easily. 3/8 is fine for anything. I cross stake 18” rebar for canine.
Posted By: 2cylinder

Re: Question about stakes - 09/12/21 01:27 PM

Never used smooth bar for stakes just rebar. Always have made them between 22 and 26 inches.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Question about stakes - 09/12/21 02:18 PM

A little trick you can do Is to put a slight bend In your re bar or smooth stake and It will hold better and you can get away with a shorter stake. Learned that from Dr. Bob.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Question about stakes - 09/13/21 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by bhugo
Rebar makes for better stakes. Smooth pull out too easily. 3/8 is fine for anything. I cross stake 18” rebar for canine.

Right on...same way I roll.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums