Home

One more wax dirt question

Posted By: Blaine County

One more wax dirt question - 09/14/21 01:30 AM

I have 70 gallons split between two clean plastic drums (35 gallons each--heavy as heck). 30 more gallons in two clean plastic five gallon buckets.

I read somewhere not to seal the lids. Is that right? If I need to leave them unsealed and breathing for a while, how long?

Thanks all.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: One more wax dirt question - 09/14/21 11:03 AM

I want to know how you fit 30 gallons in 2-5 gallon buckets.

Re: One more wax dirt question - 09/14/21 11:23 AM

Typo. 6.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: One more wax dirt question - 09/14/21 11:38 AM

I leave cardboard shims around the lid, for air flow, year 'round.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: One more wax dirt question - 09/14/21 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by strike2x
I want to know how you fit 30 gallons in 2-5 gallon buckets.

x2

Re: One more wax dirt question - 09/14/21 02:04 PM

Y'all are brutal. Typo!

Re: One more wax dirt question - 09/14/21 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by yukonal
I leave cardboard shims around the lid, for air flow, year 'round.

Good idea. Thank you.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: One more wax dirt question - 09/14/21 02:05 PM

It has to breath to allow condensation to evaporate to keep mold from growing. Get another 35 gallon drum. Latch one side but not the other side of the lid. I store mine in my garage or under an overhang. I've stored waxed dirt for over a year without issues.
Posted By: shortliner16

Re: One more wax dirt question - 09/14/21 02:13 PM

Mark June went over this last year on a post, and like most trapping things i think he is correct. Leaving the lid on or off you can still get moisture built on the inside of the bucket walls when there is a temperature change. Probably more noticable if left in a garage or some other non temp controlled place. Im trying poly seed bags this year, some of the very fine stuff can get out the bottom but not much, and it can breathe. Will be interesting seeing if anything changes this year as i have always been a bucket guy.
Posted By: LDW

Re: One more wax dirt question - 09/15/21 12:19 AM

Last year I used some that was 4 years old. Had no problems with refusals and waxed sand was stored in 35 gallon plastic trash cans. All the trash cans were stored in the rear of an open front shed.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: One more wax dirt question - 09/15/21 02:48 PM

I place a blue heavy paper towel on the top of all my waxed dirt in containers. Keep lids loose or they will condense with temp changes.

Re: One more wax dirt question - 09/15/21 03:53 PM

Thank you everyone.
Posted By: Digger Catcher1

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/03/21 06:05 PM

Has anyone tried putting a DAMP-RID in their containers of waxed dirt? Just a thought.

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/04/21 01:35 AM

So far just cracking the lids has worked. I checked today.

Tip: Go with 5 gallon buckets. I am fortunate to have a front end loader on my tractor because otherwise the drums with 35-40 gallons of waxed dirt are very tough to move. Even then, scooting them into place is still a chore.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/04/21 02:20 AM

Blaine, I fill up a 35 or 40 gal galvanized garbage can with waxed sand, after making a batch. I have it in a corner of my trapping shed, where it doesn't have to move. I put cardboard strips around the lid, and barely put it on. It stays that way year 'round, until I run out. I've never had mold or moisture problems. My sand is dry as a bone before I add wax in the cement mixer.

I fill up a couple 5 gal buckets and carry on the 'line with all the other equipment. I refill as necessary from the big can. I've done this for years, and never had a problem. Good luck with it!

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/04/21 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by yukonal
Blaine, I fill up a 35 or 40 gal galvanized garbage can with waxed sand, after making a batch. I have it in a corner of my trapping shed, where it doesn't have to move. I put cardboard strips around the lid, and barely put it on. It stays that way year 'round, until I run out. I've never had mold or moisture problems. My sand is dry as a bone before I add wax in the cement mixer.

I fill up a couple 5 gal buckets and carry on the 'line with all the other equipment. I refill as necessary from the big can. I've done this for years, and never had a problem. Good luck with it!

Same concept I am trying this year. I had been cleaning my shop and moving a bunch of heavy things so I was just complaining.

The drums have found their permanent home in the corner of the shop. I plan on carrying a couple of 2 gallon jugs and a couple of 5 gallon buckets in the truck. Will refill at the drums.

Appreciate all of the comments.
Posted By: btomlin

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/04/21 04:08 PM

Ok...dumb question. So how do you tell if it gets moldy? Does it get an actual layer of mold on it? If it gets moldy, can it be reheated or something?

I just made a bunch of waxed sand over the weekend and have it stored like in the same manner that Bob Jameson described.

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/04/21 07:07 PM

Not a dumb ?,, It's obvious , normally it forms on the edges. I just skimmed it off but I caught it early. Now I check the lids daily, It's gotta breath!
Posted By: MNEric

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/04/21 07:28 PM

I have 16 five gallon pails with waxed sand. I have the lids closed in my garage. What temperature changes will cause the worst result? 50 - 80 is about the range in my garage so far. So far I have checked my pails weekly and does not appear to have any issues. My garage is a relatively consistent temperature
Posted By: Seldom

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/04/21 07:39 PM

Maybe I can help- https://youtu.be/HACJJsxMH8w
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/09/21 12:47 PM

Good to see you posting again, Seldom! The biggest thing I have found, is put the containers in a place where the sun won't shine on them, when in storage. It adds to the big temp swings, and will cause problems faster. If the lid is sweating on the inside, your gonna have problems!

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/09/21 01:23 PM

It is awesome Seldom is back, you fellas should pay real close attention to what Seldom posts. Seldom talks I listen! Lee also!
Posted By: Seldom

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/09/21 01:38 PM

Thank you guys, you two humble me!

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/09/21 01:53 PM

Nope thank you!
Posted By: bhugo

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/09/21 02:57 PM

I use sand and have not had this issue. I’m also glad to see Seldom posting.
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/09/21 07:10 PM

Great tip Seldom. Thanks!
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/09/21 11:21 PM

Could a guy use an aquarium filter stone like you use for making bait to let it breath?
Posted By: powderfinger

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/10/21 11:51 AM

once the wax dirt is really dry, I seal the tops of the buckets and have never had problem with moisture subsequently.
Posted By: red mt

Re: One more wax dirt question - 10/10/21 01:44 PM

Making it cool to the touch when mixing is key then put in a can.
But our country is a lot different here.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums