Home

Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender?

Posted By: LeviSS

Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/16/21 06:44 PM

I'm looking to make some coon drags out of 1/4 or 3/8. I've looked into getting one of these Bender's before, but didn't know if they could make drags like this?

Attached picture drag.jpg
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/16/21 07:19 PM

No....1/4" or 3/8" is too big for the B2B. It will barely handle a 30 penny nail...which is about 5/16".
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/16/21 07:26 PM

I bent a dozen baseplates with mine out of 1/4" rod... it will do it, but it is much less than ideal
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/16/21 09:22 PM

This Fella' makes a bender that will handle the job.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/16/21 11:21 PM

I have one of Justin’s benders. Pretty handy item. What metal do you use for the drags?
Posted By: Wife

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/17/21 02:33 AM

Are you sure he is still in business? I tried several times to contact Justin and got no results................ the mike
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/17/21 11:40 AM

Harbor Freight sells a metal/rebar bender that works great. Doesn't break the bank either.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/17/21 02:28 PM

If you got a vice which you'd need for the bender anyways, you don't need the bender.
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/17/21 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by kytrapper
I have one of Justin’s benders. Pretty handy item. What metal do you use for the drags?

Got a bunch of cold rolled at the scrap yard, about 3/8....Makes great fox, coon and mink drags.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/17/21 10:41 PM

Just saying them kinda drags are a headache waiting to happen
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/17/21 11:48 PM

Ive had a couple of big coons climb trees with those type drags...30 feet up....and I pre-tangled the drag, but they got it loose and climbed.

This was 35 years ago...I know better now.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/18/21 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Ive had a couple of big coons climb trees with those type drags...30 feet up....and I pre-tangled the drag, but they got it loose and climbed.

This was 35 years ago...I know better now.

Main reason I make the drags I do now. Eveyone said they would run right to cover and be caught up good with them fox drags, yeah ok, one hard lesson now if they don't plow like a rototiller I don't touch em
Posted By: Hills of Texas

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/18/21 01:46 AM

I made a jig for my vise. I can heat up my steel in the gorge, bend to shape and 45 my tips. Sometimes I twist the shafts together and then form my hooks. They work well enough and I can make them plenty heavy depending on the size rod I use.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Can I make drags with the Bob Custer B2B Bender? - 09/18/21 11:46 AM

My drags are made out of 5/8 and I heated with a torch and bent them, two pieces, straight shaft bent 90 to form half the T at top, then bent at a little mor than 45 and a twist to form the "barb". Weld the two sides together and then another piece of straight rebar across the top of the T to add weight. But mine are coyote and wolf drags. I haven't tried 5/8 in the Harbor Freight bender since I got it, but I've bent a bunch of 3/8 to make yard ornamental stuff for the wife and it bends it like butter.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums