Home

Paint dipping body grips

Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Paint dipping body grips - 09/20/21 12:02 AM

I have been spray painting body grips for years now. I have some new/used and slightly rusted 330's and big RBG's I want to dip in the Rustoleum rusty metal primer. 50% paint 50%. Been thinking about the how. Disposable square foil trays, using a foam brush to cover all areas? $32.00 for a gallon of paint plus Acetone @ $15.00 add $4.00 clean empty gallon paint can for my unused mixed paint. Cost is not a deal breaker, but sure don't want to waste any and cannot do all my body grips in a day. Sound like a plan? How do you do your big body grips? Also after dried well a dip in the High Traffic floor wax ok for water traps? Or paint dip good enough?
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: Paint dipping body grips - 09/20/21 03:13 AM

I use about 40% paint, 60% acetone. Want it almost watery. Pour into a shallow rubbermaid tote, mix well.
I use wire on the traps to hold while dipping. I dip this way and that until coated. Then hang with the wire. I usually run a long 2"×4" between 2 step ladders.
Let dry.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Paint dipping body grips - 09/20/21 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
I use about 40% paint, 60% acetone. Want it almost watery. Pour into a shallow rubbermaid tote, mix well.
I use wire on the traps to hold while dipping. I dip this way and that until coated. Then hang with the wire. I usually run a long 2"×4" between 2 step ladders.
Let dry.

The tote idea sounds better than foil trays. I was thinking overnight about a trigger wire or safety catch poking a hole in the foil. Does anyone re dip in FMJ or Zeps after paint has dried?
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Paint dipping body grips - 09/20/21 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by alaska viking
Let dry.

Do it the same way, then dump the leftover mix back into a paint can for use next time.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Paint dipping body grips - 09/20/21 02:17 PM

I used 50% paint/50% acetone, it has held up well. I used a 5 gallon bucket for dipping and storage. I did #155's, Noonan cages, cable, spikes and water traps. I'd recommend a hot, dry day and wear clothes you don't mind staining up.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JAK1970

Re: Paint dipping body grips - 10/05/21 03:40 AM

Been awhile but I think I bought a gallon of cheap Pittsburgh paint from Menards and went 3 parts water and 1 part dark beige paint to match the grasses and stuff I was trapping in. Dipped 160s and 220s.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums