Home

New MB 550 Mod

Posted By: kinley31

New MB 550 Mod - 09/24/21 03:10 PM

[Linked Image]

A buddy sent me a pic of some new MB 550s he purchased. They have welded a bead to the jaw because too many people were dry firing them, causing the lever to slip past. Nice to see they addressed the issue and fixed the problem.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/25/21 08:31 PM

You’re kidding, right?

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/25/21 09:52 PM

No, not kidding. Chris Evenson of MTP said this was temporary, but they’re in the process of fixing it completely.
Posted By: Mortz

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/26/21 01:50 AM

I’ve never had that problem, is that even nessisary? I don’t make it a habit of dry firing them but some times it happens and I’ve never had that happen. I guess it must be a problem for enough guys if MTP is adding a mod.

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/26/21 08:52 AM

If the levers are that weak, use better or thicker steel.
Posted By: foxpee

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/26/21 10:34 AM

I saw 550’s traps like that at one of Pa’s mini conventions. I thought the guy selling them did something to the traps. The welded beads they put on them look terrible and if dry fired it will eventually snap off. Fix the problem before selling something like that. I love the 550 but would never buy ones like that.
Posted By: The hammer

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/26/21 10:35 AM

Sounds more like a band aid then a Mod. But probably having issues getting quality steel these days. Being some what in the metal supply industry it is getting rough out there. Prices are jumping up production falling and quality well let’s just say it’s not held to the same standards as before.
Posted By: jnsff69

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/26/21 03:43 PM

Haven't seen them yet. Wonder if its only closed jaw?

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/28/21 09:54 PM

I got a batch of them that the levers where cracking/ripping in the corners. They blamed it on dry firing. Some of them were that way out of the box.
At the price they sell, there is no excuse for poor steel.
Posted By: Rusty Axe Camp

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/30/21 01:51 PM

I asked about this back in August on in Trap Talk. I bought a dozen and did a double take when I got them out to degrease.

1 - I didn't know that shoulder was a problem
2 - Whoever did the welding/design of the fix may want to keep working on it. Looks like I welded it, and I am no welder.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/30/21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Axe Camp
I asked about this back in August on in Trap Talk. I bought a dozen and did a double take when I got them out to degrease.

1 - I didn't know that shoulder was a problem
2 - Whoever did the welding/design of the fix may want to keep working on it. Looks like I welded it, and I am no welder.

I would have sent them back. Those aren't up to the quality of MB 550s. And EVERYONE knows it.
Posted By: JBR

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/30/21 03:38 PM

Wow

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/30/21 04:00 PM

Hope the proper steps were takin before welding that take on or there can be more issues then what was trying to be fixed. Is this just a close jaw problem? Never had a issue with the offset 550s I’ve used over the years.

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/30/21 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter
I got a batch of them that the levers where cracking/ripping in the corners. They blamed it on dry firing. Some of them were that way out of the box.

If I got a response like back from a trap manufacturer then I would switch entirely to a new brand of traps.

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/30/21 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by The hammer
Originally Posted by Tailhunter

If I got a response like back from a trap manufacturer then I would switch entirely to a new brand of traps.

They did make those traps right. But it is evident that they haven’t fixed the problem.
Shame because they have an excellent product but it won’t take very long with this kind of rigging to ruin it.

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/30/21 07:26 PM

Pics of the ones I have

Kinda nitpicky I know. Once it's dyed and in the dirt once, it wont matter. But not what I expected from MTP.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/30/21 09:21 PM

Looks like the stops on the jaws need to be cast larger.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 09/30/21 09:51 PM

Something looks like it changed. Levers wider or jaws narrower
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/01/21 02:43 AM

I bet they added them beads of weld to the closed jaw traps because the lugs don't hold open the jaws as wide as the offset version. Narrower jaws allowed the lever to slip past the bumps forged onto the outside of the jaws.

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/01/21 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
I bet they added them beads of weld to the closed jaw traps because the lugs don't hold open the jaws as wide as the offset version. Narrower jaws allowed the lever to slip past the bumps forged onto the outside of the jaws.

That was my thought. Never noticed a problem with my other ones, but maybe it they are fired enough or when dryfired, it wears down the lever and lets it slip past the shoulder on the jaw.

Like I said, kinda nitpicky, but just didn't seem up to normal MTP quality.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/01/21 01:06 PM

Trap manufacturers of 40 years ago would literally laugh out loud at this statement.

but maybe it they are fired enough or when dryfired, it wears down the lever and lets it slip past the shoulder on the jaw.

I know its not good practice to dry fire a trap. But if firing a trap too much causes it to wear out then that is not a trap I'm interested in having.

You're paying for "the best of the best" when you buy these traps. This is not that

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/01/21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by coondagger2
Trap manufacturers of 40 years ago would literally laugh out loud at this statement.

but maybe it they are fired enough or when dryfired, it wears down the lever and lets it slip past the shoulder on the jaw.

I know its not good practice to dry fire a trap. But if firing a trap too much causes it to wear out then that is not a trap I'm interested in having.

You're paying for "the best of the best" when you buy these traps. This is not that

I agree.

That said, it's not like it makes the trap not function.

Re: traps 40 years ago - Some were good and stout but there is also a reason Paul's dad (among others) wrote books on how to mod traps.

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/01/21 03:30 PM

I agree mods are necessary on a lot of them, but they are still kicking.

The mods needed are due to having critters in the traps that the traps were not designed for. Not because of poor design quality or material choices

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/01/21 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~

That was my thought. Never noticed a problem with my other ones, but maybe it they are fired enough or when dryfired, it wears down the lever and lets it slip past the shoulder on the jaw.

Like I said, kinda nitpicky, but just didn't seem up to normal MTP quality.

I agree, I'd expect better for the high price.

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/01/21 05:44 PM

Kind of like Ford or Chevy saying..."We're going to add a spot weld to your steering column until we get better steel in." "Too many people have been oversteering with our cheapened column, causing a steering failure." To MTP, please fix the problem appropriately, and quit putting shoddy products into the market. If that means waiting on better steel...then wait.

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/01/21 06:10 PM

I think MB read that thread just below this one..."just a quick tack weld"

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/01/21 06:28 PM

I have 10 dozen 550’s, so you can say I like the design.

I noticed the last couple of times I bought them that the levers seemed different, the openings where bigger allowing the lever to jump past the stop on the jaw.

When you by your parts overseas, quality control is not always a given.

Maybe trying to use a standard lever for multiple traps saves money but isn’t always a proper fit.

But when you are intimate with certain traps, changes stick out.

And things that are touted as improvements are really just money savers.

All the above is just conjecture but hey it just might be fact.
Posted By: rattrapper1234

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/01/21 06:55 PM

Didnt Mb say they were using jaws from taiwan? I got some and assumed the new jaws were slightly smaller than the american ones.
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/03/21 02:09 PM

I am just getting back into trapping as of last winter and been doing some research on different traps to upgrade so to speak. I don't want to get blasted for this question but there
Is another mfg. that makes a 550 are they having any of these issues. I do own both brands have had no issues as of yet.

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/04/21 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Slipknot
I am just getting back into trapping as of last winter and been doing some research on different traps to upgrade so to speak. I don't want to get blasted for this question but there
Is another mfg. that makes a 550 are they having any of these issues. I do own both brands have had no issues as of yet.

No troubles with the Dukes other than the first run had levers that bent some but they have addressed that and no longer have an issue. If you got the first run traps and want to change them out Duke will send you free replacement levers. The traps still work with the original levers but if they get bent on you, let them know.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/07/21 09:29 AM

If higher faster better lock up I'd be all for this.
Performance trumps looks for me.
Have tested this plenty with other models
and read were they test theirs before release.
Cracked levers not so much.

I own none of these because of vehicles running over
cast expensive traps, so will now shut up.
Posted By: Wife

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/07/21 12:30 PM

Tailhunter, [i]"when you are intimate with certain traps,"[/i] A little too much cabin fever there? I, on the other hand, love my 220's LOL......................... the mike

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/15/21 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Wife
Tailhunter, [i]"when you are intimate with certain traps,"[/i] A little too much cabin fever there? I, on the other hand, love my 220's LOL......................... the mike

Not really just always want to know how my equipment operates and functions. If there are needed repairs, I make them.

After dealing with so many traps over the years you get to know them. grin

Re: New MB 550 Mod - 10/15/21 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
If higher faster better lock up I'd be all for this.
Performance trumps looks for me.
Have tested this plenty with other models
and read were they test theirs before release.
Cracked levers not so much.

I own none of these because of vehicles running over
cast expensive traps, so will now shut up.

There is a difference between a cheesy “fix” and actually assessing a problem and making corrections to the production process.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums