Home

Coyote book

Posted By: FDChief

Coyote book - 09/26/21 09:23 PM

Anyone recommend a coyote trapping book?
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Coyote book - 09/26/21 10:31 PM

Master Wolfer by James Lucero.

Re: Coyote book - 09/26/21 10:35 PM

Coyote Trapping by Mark June is good too.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Coyote book - 09/26/21 10:46 PM

Bought it back in 1988, Best Coyote book out there,Master Wolfer by James Lucero.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Coyote book - 09/26/21 10:48 PM

Coyote trapping by Gerold Weiland ,Hoof beats of a Wolfer by Craig O Gorman
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Coyote book - 09/26/21 10:55 PM

The only two books you need to become a competent coyote trapper are "Master Wolfer" and "Snare Lines Across The West" by James Lucero.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Coyote book - 09/27/21 11:45 PM

Hoofbeats of a Wolfer. Doesnt get any better than that.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Coyote book - 09/28/21 01:22 AM

Competition line coyote trapping by Tom Miranda
Posted By: red mt

Re: Coyote book - 09/28/21 01:51 AM

Hoof beats of wolfer O gorman
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: Coyote book - 09/28/21 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bison88
Competition line coyote trapping by Tom Miranda

Real good book for the money.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Coyote book - 09/28/21 10:50 AM

I have several i read and re-read before each season.

Dobbins land sets and trapping techniques is my land trapping Bible. My copy is signed got it from national convention way back early 80s following him around at demos. I couldn't hardly keep up with him walking across the field to demos. He wrote a couple times back when I asked him for tips. No nonsense guy who learned a lot on his own doing govt fox depression and bounty work, and in more competitive times fur market. Its a great read lots of tips in there I still do today. Carry all of my waxed dirt in clean gallon milk jugs, stash them at set locations ahead of time, that good stuff.

Others I read each year are also mentioned above. Miranda's competition line coyote book, Lucero book, Milligans book, and a few others. I learned something from all of them. Bodas book is OK too. I haven't tried many of the more recent times trapper books, maybe I should to see if I can pick up something new.

Carol Black was more of a waterline and mixed bag trapper guy but he taught me a few things in his coyote and fox book too. One I still use today and it works awesome is when a baited dirthole gets no response after a few weeks but tracks show they are going by...jam a stick into the hole and add pee, without touching the trap. From bait set to post set, and that put a lot of coyotes on boards for me over the years. So simple but would have never tried it unless I read it in his book first.

Jim
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Coyote book - 09/28/21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
Master Wolfer by James Lucero.

Originally Posted by bctomcat
The only two books you need to become a competent coyote trapper are "Master Wolfer" and "Snare Lines Across The West" by James Lucero.

X2
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Coyote book - 09/28/21 01:57 PM

OG's Hoof beats and Charlies land trapping techniques , read both till the pages fell out. Money well spent! Lecero's books also.
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Coyote book - 09/28/21 03:45 PM

Best coyote trapping book EVER!
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Coyote book - 10/12/21 06:26 PM

Major Boddicker’s book “Coyote Man” loaded with good stuff.
Posted By: Aaron.F

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 01:38 AM

Eastern Wolfer by Clint Locklear, Slim Pedersen’s Predator Trapping Problems and Solutions, and O’Gorman’s Hoofbeats of a Wolfer are all top shelf. A lot more information in these books than many others.
Posted By: Seek

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 01:44 AM

Does Master Wolfer have pictures or drawings? Some older books with B/W pics are about impossible to comprehend. Almost rather have drawings.

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Seek
Does Master Wolfer have pictures or drawings? Some older books with B/W pics are about impossible to comprehend. Almost rather have drawings.

It has both, drawings and pictures. All easy to comprehend in my opinion.
Posted By: Scooby

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 03:59 AM

The Black Book of Coyote Trapping by Kellan Kaatz is one I haven’t seen mentioned yet. Has some good info.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 04:15 AM

All it matters you got something out of any book

Imo OG writes over a lot folks head
It would be a better book for a lot folks if they would read it after about 10 years chasing coyotes first.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by red mt

It would be a better book for a lot folks if they would read it after about 10 years chasing coyotes first.

Eveyone I talked to who doesn't like his books ends but being the kinda person who just wants and real quick all you gotta do is type of thing is what I've seen
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Originally Posted by red mt

Eveyone I talked to who doesn't like his books ends but being the kinda person who just wants and real quick all you gotta do is type of thing is what I've seen

Wolfie, you been hanging around coonman220? grin

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 03:15 PM

^^^^lol

I wouldnt mind readin OG's book, but i am always too late for a deal. I would like to read it before i purchase.

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
^^^^lol

I wouldnt mind readin OG's book, but i am always too late for a deal. I would like to read it before i purchase.

I've read it. He talks in circles with an inflated view of his trapping abilities. So it takes up twice as many pages to get to the point. He's real obscure on certain things so you'll buy his updates. Not trying to take anything away from the guy. I've never met him in person and probably is a good guy but his style isn't for me.
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by ND FTA
Outstanding first book for beginners.
[Linked Image]

The GOLD standard
[Linked Image]

A great book and a very pleasant surprise. For beginners along with tips and refreshers for experience trappers.
[Linked Image]

I just finished reading the Mark June book
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 09:59 PM

I'm a huge fan of Master Wolfer by James Lucero.
Posted By: SeeEmSwans

Re: Coyote book - 10/13/21 10:02 PM

I just got the Mark June book. I also have the Dobbins book, land sets and trapping techniques. This could be a dumb question but is wolf trapping similar to coyote? I heard about that Lucero book yesterday and I was wondering if it’s a good read or if it is good for general trapping knowledge. New to trapping/ the site and I’m trying to get all the info I can. Thanks!

Re: Coyote book - 10/14/21 04:06 AM

Lucero, June, Dobbins, Boddikers books on yotes. You cant go wrong with any of these authors

Re: Coyote book - 10/14/21 04:07 AM

Silky, thanks for that insight on the OG book

Re: Coyote book - 10/14/21 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
Silky, thanks for that insight on the OG book

Not trying to dissuade you from reading it. That was just my opinion. You'll have to form you own when you get a chance to read it. If you've read the books you stated in the reply above I don't think you'll find OG anything spectacular.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Coyote book - 10/14/21 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I'm a huge fan of Master Wolfer by James Lucero.

X 2. Changed the way I think about sets and killed a pile of yotes.

Re: Coyote book - 10/14/21 11:30 AM

If you're in the east. Locklears "eastern wolfer" is good
Posted By: Scooby

Re: Coyote book - 10/15/21 09:55 AM

Fleming Traps has the Kyle Kaatz book on sale right now.
https://m.flemingtraps.com/black-book-of-coyote-trapping.html
Posted By: HOYT archery

Re: Coyote book - 10/28/21 03:32 PM

"One Square Mile" by Ed Schneider is a good one that should be added to the list.
Posted By: MinkGuy

Re: Coyote book - 11/02/21 05:06 AM

x2 on One Square Mile and the others mentioned. Something different in all of them that makes them worth the investment. Start a library with these and keep adding then keep notes and learn from what you experience with the techniques of others..
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Coyote book - 11/02/21 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by HOYT archery
"One Square Mile" by Ed Schneider is a good one that should be added to the list.

Agree! And his Proven Methods from Kansas book is really good.

Mark June's book is excellent also.
Posted By: Mitch L

Re: Coyote book - 11/06/21 02:10 AM

I really like the Scott Welch book too!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums